Sign in with
Your question

Connect 2 PC's to each other, a DSL modem, and 1 monitor?

Last response: in Networking
October 16, 2006 10:56:44 PM

Hi, I'm a newb to this so go easy on me.

As the title states, I want to be connect/be able to transfer files between 2 PC's, have them both hooked up to my DSL line, and both hooked up to one monitor.

I'm think I need a 10/100 switch like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

and a KVM switch like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

I want to have both PC's running at the same time, say...one downloading/uploading, while I'm browsing (using the monitor) on the other. Is this possible?
October 16, 2006 11:42:02 PM

You need a router! Without some intelligence that routes packets from one source[Internet] to another [LAN], you will not be able to share that connection. Most routers comes w/ a switch integrated into the router.
October 17, 2006 2:16:24 AM

I was under the assumption that a switch was what I needed.

That it would go:

..................................................|---> PC #1
DSL modem---> 10/100 switch--->
..................................................|---> PC #2

Then why do they make switches?

Thanks, Noya.
Related resources
October 17, 2006 1:38:53 PM

Unless you are getting two ip addresses from the dsl modem you MUST use a router. A router will enable more than one computer on a network to access the internet at one time by using DHCP to hand out ip addressess for the new network, called NATzZ. A switch just directs packets to the right computer.

Most routers you buy at electronic/computer stores have a built in switch to allow more than one computer to hook up to the router. Normal routers usually only have 1 port on them.

DSL modem -->Router/switch combo--> computers.
October 17, 2006 3:54:02 PM

Depends on the capability of the modem. Some DSL modems these days are not just simple modems. Many have built-in router functionality. If your does, you only need the switch.
!