A question about switching out hardware...

kinglou

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
Ok I have decided to upgrade my computer.

I have bought: a new processor, two 7800 gtx cards, a secondary hard drive, new ram and a new motherboard.

What I am planning on doing is using my old power supply and my old SATA boot drive with XP installed from my old rig.

Will I have any complications?

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Ok I have decided to upgrade my computer.

I have bought: a new processor, two 7800 gtx cards, a secondary hard drive, new ram and a new motherboard.

What I am planning on doing is using my old power supply and my old SATA boot drive with XP installed from my old rig.

Will I have any complications?

Would be nice if you told us what processor, what motherboard, etc. Your old power supply could be a 150W model from 1995!

kinglou

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
Sorry.

I have now:

a socket 754 asus board (not sure what kind)
AMD 3200
AGP 6800 gt
SATA 10,000 rpm hard drive

What I am getting:

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium 939
AMD 4000
Two 7800 GTX cards
2 gbs of Kingston memory
an extra SATA Drive.

As I mentioned above I have a Antec 500w power supply that I will use from the old rig, I will also use the boot SATA drive from the old rig.

My question is when I pop my old SATA drive (with XP installed on it) into this new configuration will I have problems?

Will I have to repair as one poster already noted? If so I will have to make sure I locate my XP cd.

runswindows95

Distinguished
Find your XP CD before you do anything. You may have to do a fresh install. I've seen XP freak out when the original install was placed into a new system. Besides, looking at the age of your system, it might be better to do a fresh install anyway. You won't have to worry about driver conflict.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Find your XP CD before you do anything. You may have to do a fresh install. I've seen XP freak out when the original install was placed into a new system. Besides, looking at the age of your system, it might be better to do a fresh install anyway. You won't have to worry about driver conflict.

I've never been able to switch boot HDs under XP. The installation memorizes the ID numbers of various components and when it finds different ones it goes nuts. I think it's pretty definite that you'll have to reinstall from bare metal.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
(Rofl!!!!)

Ok, now that I've recovered.... make sure that youhave a decent back up. It will depend on the sata controller you're coming from / going to how successful you are. Also, you will need to install new MB drivers, they may conflict with your old drivers. Probably will.

In short, better to to a clean OS install, then copy over the data you need from your backup set.

My 2p...

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
(Rofl!!!!)

Ok, now that I've recovered.... make sure that youhave a decent back up. It will depend on the sata controller you're coming from / going to how successful you are. Also, you will need to install new MB drivers, they may conflict with your old drivers. Probably will.

In short, better to to a clean OS install, then copy over the data you need from your backup set.

My 2p...

Glad you're amused. My stand-up comedy DVD is on sale for $19.95 plus S&H. May I have your Mastercard number? :wink: