YES! I'll pay you to overclock my PC!

dacvak

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
Here's my current information about my PC:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=1505280#1505280

Basically, my setup is REALLY nice to overclock, and theoretically I should be able to get at least 3.2GHZ out of my e6400.

Well, if anyone wants to get paid to walk me through overclocking my machine, 10 bucks (through Paypal) are up for grabs. Seriously, at this point I just want to get it done. I'm tired of BSing around with settings I don't understand, and if I have to rip my Mobo's battery out one more time, I'm going to go insane.

So, if you can help me out (and have PayPal), respond to the thread. More than likely I'll give you my number/AIM screen name in a PM.

Thanks,

~Dac

[Edit] Oh yeah, here are my rates: If you can get it past 3.0GHZ stable, then I'll give you $10. If you get it past 3.41GHZ stable, I'll give you $20.

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
hahaha :lol:

what if it doesnt work? :p

too bad i dont have a clue myself :lol:

surely there are some sites that tell you how to go about with it?

dacvak

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
I've tried that. I have a new problem now, though... For some reason, SpeedStep will NOT disable! My processor, which is overclocked to 333 at the moment, won't actually go past 1990MHZ because of SpeedStep, but I can't disable it for unknown reasons.

I'm getting way too frustrated, and even after I've used that guide as my overclocking Bible, I'm still getting little to no results without crashing my motherboard and having to take the batteries out.

Oh yeah, I Blue-Screened Vista Ultimate. I'm sure this is some kind of record.

~Dac

dacvak

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
I believe so. It's 1004, I think. I downloaded it off the ASUS site last night, and it was the latest then. =P

Well, here's the thing... If I enable control of the multiplier (to bump it to 8 ), the SpeedStep option completely disappears, and I still only get a multiplier of 6. However, if I leave it off and even just disable SpeedStep, my multiplier (according to CPU-Z) is stuck at 6, which gives me an overclocked speed of 1.9GHZ.

Confusion all over the place.

~Dac

pshrk

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
I don't use vista but one guy said speedstep was giving him problems with vista but not with XP. Why don't you use XP and see if that solves your problem, besides toms did a review on vista and pretty much everything ran faster on XP.

dacvak

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
That may be true, but call me crazy, I'm really in love with Aero. Could I get the same effects, if not better, on Linux? Of course. But I don't have time to re-learn an OS.

Plus, Vista really is nice. And the reason I built this computer was so it would run Vista extremely well, not so it'd run XP just a little bit better.

Anyway, I figured out what was wrong with the SpeedStep. Now I'm getting the right speeds. Still trying to get it past 2.7GHZ, though.

~Dac

dacvak

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
YES!!! I got it past 2.8!! That 3.0 mark is just around the corner.

So, here's a question... What voltage is way too high for a E6400? I have it at 1.425 at the moment. Also, what is a FSP Termination Voltage or whatever? I have it set at 1.400, but I have no idea what it does.

~Dac

dt

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004
what mobo you got?\

edit: o snaps you have the same mobo,cpu, and ram as me :)

i think you might be able to help me oc my own computer also!

dacvak

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
Horay!! I've hit the 3.0GHZ mark! *hugs computer*

Still idling around 35C. Haven't put it under a huge load, yet. Time to SuperPi.

~Dac

dacvak

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
Sure, I'll let you know my settings after I get it running to at least 3.2GHZ.

So, here's some new information... I ordered the E6400 Conroe chip, but Core Temp is telling me its an Allendale chip. Ummm, what?

~Dac

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
E6300 and E6400 are known as Allendale - means they have 2MB cache.
E6600 and better are called Conroe - they have 4MB cache.

So don't worry - it's fine.

Congrats on your overclocking by the way - good fun isn't it?

dt

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004
E6300 and E6400 are known as Allendale - means they have 2MB cache.
E6600 and better are called Conroe - they have 4MB cache.

So don't worry - it's fine.

Congrats on your overclocking by the way - good fun isn't it?

:( i wanna over clock too!

dacvak

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
So, after I hit 400MHZ (or 3.2GHZ CPU speed), I started having trouble. When I went to reset, my computer froze on the black bootup screen. But, I eventually got back into the BIOS. Now I'm at 398, and it's working fine. Question, though... I'm idling at, like, 35C. Shouldn't I be able to go further than 3.2GHZ?

Anyone with suggestions?

~Dac

dacvak

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
So, with my window open, my CPU is idling at 29C at 3.3GHZ... Problem is, I can't test under load. Know why? Microsoft just caught me. "This copy of Windows is not Geniune."

Oh, ah heck. I can't get into Windows now. It's just letting me get online to buy a product key. >_<

~Dac

dacvak

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
So, ummm... I guess after a Reboot, my copy of Windows mysteriously became "Genuine." =P I'm back in, hahaha.

Anyway, let me do another reboot and copy down my settings for you. Keep in mind I'm not using a stock heatsink, so your temps might be higher if you are.

~Dac