CPU May Need to Be Returned...

foxhound888

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2007
Please Take a look at these pictures and tell me what you guys think.
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w198/SnakeofJake/sandraproccesor.jpg
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w198/SnakeofJake/proccessor3.jpg
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w198/SnakeofJake/sandraproccesor2.jpg
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w198/SnakeofJake/speeds.jpg

I just got my computer up and running and decided to run some tests, and what resulted was low scores on sandra, not to mention i had the lowest score out of the 11 people who had setups similar to mine in 3dmark06. I'm thinking that this all may be due to my processor because of the obvious results in sandra. So whats up, do my fsb speeds look normal, voltage, does something look blatantly wrong? Because if you guys also think i should get a replacement then i probably will end up doing so, but I just want to be sure that there is actually something wrong with it so i don't send in the wrong part.
Here's my Specs: Intel Core2Duo E6700, EVGA 680i, 700w m12seasonic, x1950xt, 2gb corsair, And i think that's all you need to know.

When i installed my cpu i did wiggle it around a little because in my previous build, skt939, the pins actually go into holes, but after reading the instructions i saw that it said "don't slide the cpu in the socket", oops... But i really don't think that, that alone could have such a huge hit on performance...Please help.

foxhound888

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2007
bumpidy bump. Any help would really be appreciated, I really need to know whats going on with my cpu. thanks.
here's my 3dmark06 score, it just seems low and my cpu score is considerably lower than other people with the same cpu, If i shorted the cpu out would the performance be affected that much or would the cpu just plain not work.
3DMark06 Score

mpjesse

Splendid
The stock E6700 clock speed is 2.66Ghz. According to your screenshot there it's only running at 2.13Ghz. As jumpingjack said, your multiplier is probably set incorrectly.

foxhound888

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2007
yea, right now its weird, The multiplier is at 6x and the overall clock is at 1.6ghz It changes all the time, I guess that's due to the speed step. My temps are at 35-36C according to Nvidia's Monitor view but I'll check them on coretemp and give you all an update. Is it safe to turn off speed step? I have a stock hs+fan. Also I do have my memory in dual channel mode, aka same colored slots. Also I did have a tough time getting my mobo to line up perfectly, i didn't force anything but the mobo did end up resting on the spacers in the process of trying to line everything up, i don't think i damaged anything on the mobo, but could that be my problem? I'll try the speed step disable thing first though as long as it's safe...
update:Ok well according to Core temp My temps were around 45C at Idle.... Isn't that a little high?
Here's a screen it tells gives a little more info too:
coretemp.jpg

Thanks alot guys.

foxhound888

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2007
333fsb?

arnt they still meant to be 266 thus 266x 10 = 2.66ghz?
I'm sorry I'm throughly confused, I know i haven't changed any settings manually besides fan speed and the memory mode to sli in order to get the memory to work properly, so what is going on here?

foxhound888

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2007
Here's the first 3 screens of cpu-z, speed step is still enables since i haven't tried disabling it yet due to me not knowing if it's the best move...
Do you guys think that I should update to the latest mobo bios, maybe that would help?
cpuz1.jpg

cpuz2.jpg

cpuz3.jpg

update: I have changed the multiplier to 10x and it appeared as though speed step was already set to "disabled" so after that I ran 3dmark06 again and got 300+ more points which was reassuring, and when i compared my score to the guy with the same setup as me the only thing i fell behind in was sm2.0 and sm3.0 which i think is explainable by him having an extra 256mb of vid. card ram and slightly higher clock either way i ran sandra again and it seems as though everything has cleared up just fine after changing the multiplier from 8x to 10x, thanks alot guys.

Bache

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
When i installed my cpu i did wiggle it around a little because in my previous build, skt939, the pins actually go into holes, but after reading the instructions i saw that it said "don't slide the cpu in the socket", oops... But i really don't think that, that alone could have such a huge hit on performance...Please help.
Your supposed to place the CPU in the socket vertically :oops:

foxhound888

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2007
update: I have changed the multiplier to 10x and it appeared as though speed step was already set to "disabled" so after that I ran 3dmark06 again and got 300+ more points which was reassuring, and when i compared my score to the guy with the same setup as me the only thing i fell behind in was sm2.0 and sm3.0 which i think is explainable by him having an extra 256mb of vid. card ram and slightly higher clock either way i ran sandra again and it seems as though everything has cleared up just fine after changing the multiplier from 8x to 10x, thanks alot guys.

Nice to see you got it working to your liking....

Just quick, do a google for CoreTemp, download and run to check your CPU temperatures.... come back and tell us what they are when idle, then load it up with something --- say a Cinebench dual thread run or something like that and tell us what the load temps are....

Jack
Well at idle core temp reads: Tjunction:85C Core#0:44C Core#1:44C
I have yet to test the temps at load, but are those idle temps ok or are they too high? I'm using the stock HS/Fan and thermal pad. I'm thinking about getting an arctic freezer 7 with some arctic silver 5 If my temps are too hot and for future over clocking ability. Thanks a lot guys.

foxhound888

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2007
May I ask which is a better cooler between the arctic freezer 7 pro and the zalman 9700/9500 because I see on some sites the af7 pro is listed as low as like 22 bucks, where as the zalman seems to be priced higher across the board. Is the reason the af7 pro is priced so high on newegg simply due to demand? I'm just wondering because when I do get a new cooler i want to get the best for the money. thanks.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
May I ask which is a better cooler between the arctic freezer 7 pro and the zalman 9700/9500 because I see on some sites the af7 pro is listed as low as like 22 bucks, where as the zalman seems to be priced higher across the board. Is the reason the af7 pro is priced so high on newegg simply due to demand? I'm just wondering because when I do get a new cooler i want to get the best for the money. thanks.

AF7 is a nice cooler but the 9700 is in a league of its own. It often wins shootouts over all others. However, my preference would be for a Scythe or a Tuniq.

BaldEagle

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004

AF7 is a nice cooler but the 9700 is in a league of its own. It often wins shootouts over all others. However, my preference would be for a Scythe or a Tuniq.

The Tuniq is the best but watch out for the weight of the Tuniq if you move your PC around much I wouldn't use it get the Scythe instead. Either one of these though you have to take the motherboard out of the case to mount the heatsink without going insane.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006

The Tuniq is the best but watch out for the weight of the Tuniq if you move your PC around much I wouldn't use it get the Scythe instead. Either one of these though you have to take the motherboard out of the case to mount the heatsink without going insane.

I don't see why the manufacturers of these 700g+ coolers don't package them with some minigirders to fit onto the side of the tower case and take some pressure off the motherboards. They've gotten huge! But they do work great, so you have to hand that to 'em!

foxhound888

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2007
so i'm about to buy myself the af7 cooler but i can't find anywhere it's sold thats less than neweggs $70 price tag, I know i've seen it for about 20 bucks but i can't find it for that price in stock i'd really appreciate it if you guys could help me out in finding one at a legit store for that price? Thanks
Also I was wondering what i should do to clean off the surface of the cpu and heat sink, should i take my cpu out or don't bother? Is there any particular chemicals that i should use? Also AS5 is the unaniminously the best thermal paste correct?
All input is appreciated.