Scythe Infinity & Gigabyte DS3

shizza

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
Anyone have an Infinity mounted on a Gigabyte DS3?

I plan on getting Shin-Etsu paste (based on this) and the case I have is an Antec P180.

The reason I'm asking is I was originally going to get a Ninja B, but some people have been having trouble mounting it on a DS3. I haven't read much on this forum or SPCR's cooling forum about the Infinity (I tried searching), although there seem to be a lot of trouble posts about the Ninja over there.

This was the goal of my new system build. I might go with the Ninja B still if nobody has mounted an Infinity on a DS3. There's a mod of the Infinity's mount here.

I'm new to aftermarket cooling so I'm trying to figure out ahead of time whether my hsf+cpu+mobo+paste+case will work well together before I buy it all. I'm 99% sure it'll fit in my P180, but I have no idea if it'll work well with the DS3.

Also, does anyone have any good newb guides? Like, I just learned what lapping is from the mod link above.

Thanks for your time.

slacker190

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
I've got a Scythe infinity mounted on my DS3 in a P180, fits perfect. The exhaust fans on the P180 work very well in conjuction with the infinity, they are close enough that all air being sucked out of the case has to pass through the heatsink, so youll never have to worry about getting enough air over the HS. The stock method of mounting the Infinity sucks terribly, do the following mod if you dont want the heatsink to fall off.

Sidenote:
DO THIS TO YOUR HEATSINK!!!
Infinity Mounting Bracket Mod
The infinity is far too heavy to rely on 4 crappy plastic pins. This mod holds the HS on solid, and it will never fall off. If you really want to be sure, order a backplate for heatsinks, they sell them separate here LGA 775 backplate

You cant put 4 ram sticks in with the infinity, and you should mount a 40mm fan on the northbridge to cool the NB and voltage regulators.

I did all of this to my system with E6400 @ 3.0Ghz, running 34-36C idle, and 44C load.

shizza

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
Assuming I get x23-7762 (or AS ceramique), is the rest of my setup sound?

Thank you for the thermal paste review, btw :trophy: .

I'm considering another HSF if you have to mod the Infinity to get it to firmly stay on (I knew about the mod, in my first post).

I'm not really a fan of fans, so I don't really want to replace the NB heatsink with a fan. Maybe a better heatsink, though?

slacker190

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
The NB needs some sort of cooling over stock setup. Just screw a fan onto the NB and it'tll be fine. Otherwise if you wish, you can get a passive cooler that works better.

If youre gonna get a big heatsink, try to look for one with a backplate. Unfortunately, I dont know of any offhand