Sign in with
Your question

RAID ZERO PROBLEM-drives "OFFLINE", won't boot

Last response: in Storage
February 11, 2007 8:06:54 PM

If anything can go wrong, it will often go wrong.

There have been several instances of me having trouble booting my RAID 0 configuration... but it's always come back up after a bit.

However, I bought a Raptor and Vista so I could start fresh and move my files off of the RAID zero configured drives. Got the Raptor with Vista up and running, and the RAID zero drives populating as secondary drives. I was ready to start copying my files, and suddenly the computer says the RAID array is offline because of a problem.

What tricks can I do to try and get those drives working together one last time?

Your feedback (and prayers) are appreciated!!
February 12, 2007 6:46:02 PM

Quote:
If anything can go wrong, it will often go wrong.

There have been several instances of me having trouble booting my RAID 0 configuration... but it's always come back up after a bit.

However, I bought a Raptor and Vista so I could start fresh and move my files off of the RAID zero configured drives. Got the Raptor with Vista up and running, and the RAID zero drives populating as secondary drives. I was ready to start copying my files, and suddenly the computer says the RAID array is offline because of a problem.

What tricks can I do to try and get those drives working together one last time?

Your feedback (and prayers) are appreciated!!

I only have experience with raid 5 arrays, but you need to give a bit more information for people to help. Built-in or separate controller raid, motherboard model/manufacturer, hard drive types (ide/sata/etc), number of hard drives in raid,.....

That being said, I would install new cables or reseat the ones that you had. Is Vista giving you the error or is it in the bios of the motherboard/controller? If reseating the cables doesn't work, does the system recognize all the drives on bootup? With raid 0, a single drive failure=you are screwed.

Also, if you are running raid 0, never plan on keeping your data. Raid 0 is purely for performance. Data integrity is the last thing you get with raid 0. Unless you enjoy reinstalling your os and not having any of your data, you should have your important stuff on a separate drive or copied to another as a backup. Also, if you wish to continue with raid 0 because you do see a performance benefit, I highly suggest imaging your drive so that you can restore it when it is necessary.

Not to bash on you or anyone in particular, but raid 0 is pretty pointless unless you are doing high end graphics work that needs to stream across multiple drives. And even then, if your stuff is important it would be raid 0+1 (striping + mirroring). Just because 0 is available on your motherboard doesn't mean you have to use it. It isn't even a good idea. There is another article that is up near the top of the forum right now that deals with raid and also has a link to an article against raid.

Centurion
!