? to change the Drive Sharing properties via script?

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
August 17, 2004 6:23:07 PM

I've got something on my OS that keeps changing my drives to Shared
Access.

Does anybody know how to change the Drive Sharing properties from
"default share" to "not shared" or reverse via script, batch-file
(command prompt) or registry? I don't want to set these parameters
manually for up to 10 drieves per PC but use a script or something
faster instead...

[A real "home run" piece of advice is how to figure out what is doing
this. Any thoughts. I've already run Spy Bot Search & Destroy and
come up clean.]

Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 12:03:24 AM

Are you talking about the administrative shares such as C$ ? They are available to
administrators only and are hidden from My Network Places. These can be disable via
the registry if need be, but honestly they can come in handy and good procedures such
as using complex passwords and a firewall can greatly reduce the risk of having
them. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314984 --- how to disable
administrative shares.

"Matt Alanzo" <access_vba04@emailias.com> wrote in message
news:p hm4i0hemdgafd7lee12hp4qbhubqfhosn@4ax.com...

> I've got something on my OS that keeps changing my drives to Shared
> Access.
>
> Does anybody know how to change the Drive Sharing properties from
> "default share" to "not shared" or reverse via script, batch-file
> (command prompt) or registry? I don't want to set these parameters
> manually for up to 10 drieves per PC but use a script or something
> faster instead...
>
> [A real "home run" piece of advice is how to figure out what is doing
> this. Any thoughts. I've already run Spy Bot Search & Destroy and
> come up clean.]
>
> Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 2:05:11 AM

Hi Matt,

Drives are shared by default since hm ... Windows NT. Shares are hidden and
can only be accessed by System Administrators. If you disable them some
things may stop working (software that is installed over network - push
installations).

Here is an article how to disable these administrative shares (and they
won't be shared again after reboot).

I am not sure what version of Windows 2000 you have so here goes for Pro
version.

How to create and delete hidden or administrative shares on client computers
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314984&Product=win2000#2b

and for Server

Remove Administrative Shares in Windows 2000 or Windows NT 4.0
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;318751

I hope this helps,

Mike

!