compatibility question

rodr

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2005
hey all, i currently have a pre-built sony vaio (unfortunately), and i wanted to upgrade somethings within a month or so.

processor: Intel Pentium D 820
chipset: Intel i945P
currently 2 x 256 MB DDR2-SDRAM PC2-4300
mainboard : intel prague

i dont have the exact same model of the mobo, since its a prebuilt sony vaio and they r not sold to the regular public.. and thats why im having a bit of problems finding out of stuff that is compatible with my specs.

I was lookin at the E6300 processor, but i dont know if its compatible. Will the latest BIOS for my model recognize the C2D?

thanks a lot.

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
I doubt that a C2D will work on your system. There were a couple of 945 chipset board that worked with the C2D, but they had modified VRMs, which I doubt Sony used for yours. I think your best bet would be trying a Pentium D 940 or 960 - but only if you can find one cheap (perhaps like at a surplus store) as the retails for new ones are still way too high.

rodr

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2005
i see.. thats not good. how can i find out if it supports it? what info would you need from my computer to tell me if its compatible? i think upgrading to a D940 isnt worth it, but i dont know much about it.

thanks

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
I think the only way to find out for sure (other than plugging a C2D into it) is to ask Sony. But, since they would have no reason to modify the VRM for an 820 - I highly doubt your board will run a C2D.

I think you may be better off setting money aside for a new build, rather than upgrading.

For now, I recommend that you upgrade you RAM. You'll probably notice a bigger difference going to 1GB than you would a faster CPU.

rodr

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2005
actually i was going to do that, the processor was just a plus, didnt know if i should get one. I was planning to get 1 gig, or mayb 2 gigs in dual mode, a new vid card and a new PSU. But some ppl told me my cpu would bottleneck the vid card so i thought of the processor...

But damn pre-builts are giving me so much trouble, didnt think it would b like this.

so if its not compatible, the only way out would b to just buy a new mobo? Gigabyte or something?

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
The problem with a new mobo is that many of the big system builders link their version of Windows with the motherboard in a process called "motherboard tattooing". This prevents you from swapping motherboards without buying a new version of Windows. I'm not sure if Sony does this (the other big companies such as HP do).

I would upgrade everything else (vid card, PSU, etc.) first, and upgrade the CPU & mobo when you are ready to move to Vista.

saintvir

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
hey all, i currently have a pre-built sony vaio (unfortunately), and i wanted to upgrade somethings within a month or so.

i dont have the exact same model of the mobo, since its a prebuilt sony vaio and they r not sold to the regular public.. and thats why im having a bit of problems finding out of stuff that is compatible with my specs.

I was lookin at the E6300 processor, but i dont know if its compatible. Will the latest BIOS for my model recognize the C2D?

thanks a lot.

You might be able to find compatible components from this website:
http://www.powerleap.com

Click on "Check compatibility manually" then respond to the prompts for Manufacturer (Sony) and System Model. They may not have all the data for all models but they're generally pretty good.

rodr

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2005
i see, ill have to get a dx9 vid card i guess, which is the thing i was tryin to avoid. but without vista i cant run dx10 right?

ill get 2 gigs of ram (btw should i get 1 or 2?), a vid card, and a PSU..

:? :?

saintvir

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007

thanks a lot.

You might be able to find compatible components from this website:
http://www.powerleap.com

Click on "Check compatibility manually" then respond to the prompts for Manufacturer (Sony) and System Model. They may not have all the data for all models but they're generally pretty good.

rodr

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2005
hmm.. cant find it. Maybe its because i didnt buy it in the US, it hsould still be there tho.. Sony VGC-RB55MGX

saintvir

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Or, it could be a different model number outside the US.

Your next bet would be to load the "Upgrade Configurator" and let the program find out what is inside your PC. You need to authorize the download process.

GL

saintvir

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
PC Wizard will indeed tell you what you have in your PC but it won't tell you what you need to upgrade your setup.

The "Upgrade Configurator" will do that (if it has your PC in its database).

I've used it a couple of times just to find out what I needed for my desktop and my laptop. You don't have to buy anything from them. Just find out what you need and shop for the components on the web.

After running the configurator, you can disable it on your PC.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
I think this topic has become a little too convoluted and over-complicated.

Upgrading even pre-built systems is straightforward. You will definitely want more RAM, if you want 2GB, go for it, DDR2-667 or 800 will blow your mind away compared to the 512 you have now.

A new video card (I assume there is a PCI-E slot and not integrated graphics) could work out well for you if you game. What video card are you looking at? What's your budget for all of this?

rodr

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2005
It is indeed PCI-E, at first i was looking at a 7950gt, but now i decided to wait for one of the 8600 series, only i dont know if i would be able to handle it without getting a new processor. Also, do i need vista to run dx10?

i was willing to pay 200$ for the 7950gt, but been said that the 8600 ultra would cost around 180, i decided to wait.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
It is indeed PCI-E, at first i was looking at a 7950gt, but now i decided to wait for one of the 8600 series, only i dont know if i would be able to handle it without getting a new processor. Also, do i need vista to run dx10?

i was willing to pay 200$ for the 7950gt, but been said that the 8600 ultra would cost around 180, i decided to wait.

Yes, you will need Vista for DX10.

I'd be more worried about your power supply than the processor bottleneck.

rodr

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2005
i allrdy have one that would work. It provides 580W and 30A on the +12 V rails. Ive been told i should be ok with that one, although thats without the processor...

i think im gonna wait till the 8600 comes out to really find out if my cpu will bottleneclk the card or not.