Folder Settings

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
a b 8 Security
August 18, 2004 12:08:59 PM

I hope this is right area to post this question.

I accidentally changed the sharing/security settings for
a folder on my work computer. The main folder is shared,
so others can read documents within the main folder( and
subfolders - subfolders are by project names). Within
this main folder I have a personal folder. I did not
want that to be shared, which is why I made the
sharing/security setting changes. Now I can't access
that folder and the "domain admins" can't access that
folder either.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

More about : folder settings

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 18, 2004 10:42:21 PM

When a folder is shared, it is also shared for all subfolders though ntfs permissions
can be used to further restrict access to a folder. My guess is you modified ntfs
permissions and either removed everyone or added deny permissions to users/everyone.
A local administrator can always change permissions to a folder. An administrator
should first go to tithe folder properties and select security and try a give
administrators full permission for allow only or add the administrators for full
control allow. If an administrator can not do such, then he may need to take
ownership the folder first by going to the security page/advanced - owner. Then the
administrator needs to change the owner to administrators which will then allow him
to give the administrators group full control to the folder and add other users ass
appropriate. By default a member of the domain admins group should be a local
administrator on a domain computer but if that group has been removed from the local
administrators group he will not be able to take ownership and will have to logon as
a local administrator. --- Steve

"MrNu" <mrnu78@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I hope this is right area to post this question.
>
> I accidentally changed the sharing/security settings for
> a folder on my work computer. The main folder is shared,
> so others can read documents within the main folder( and
> subfolders - subfolders are by project names). Within
> this main folder I have a personal folder. I did not
> want that to be shared, which is why I made the
> sharing/security setting changes. Now I can't access
> that folder and the "domain admins" can't access that
> folder either.
>
> Any suggestions?
> Thanks.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 19, 2004 12:42:17 AM

Hi,

You will probably have to take back the ownership on files and folders.

Here is now to do it.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&Product=winxp

I know this is for Windows XP, but is still practically the same on Windows
2000.

After you have ownership back, set desired permissions on your folders.

I hope this helps,

Mike

!