what is high security web browser?

dds

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2004

My insurance company's website won't let me view my
personal information on line because it says I need a high
security web browser with 128-bit encryption. No clue
what that means or what I have to do to get it. I used to
be able to move around their site just fine. After I log
in I get the error message but no direction as to a
remedy. I went to Microsoft downloads to get "critical
updates" and thought that might solve it but it didn't do
anything regarding my web browser.

Help!
dds

In IE, go to help | about. What do you see? You should be on IE6 SP1
(available from WU or microsoft.com/downloads).

Also see
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c10925a0-ac66-4c44-b5c3-9dcab4da1c63&DisplayLang=en

dds wrote:
> My insurance company's website won't let me view my
> personal information on line because it says I need a high
> security web browser with 128-bit encryption. No clue
> what that means or what I have to do to get it. I used to
> be able to move around their site just fine. After I log
> in I get the error message but no direction as to a
> remedy. I went to Microsoft downloads to get "critical
> updates" and thought that might solve it but it didn't do
> anything regarding my web browser.
>
> Help!
> dds

If you are using at least SP2 that ability is built in already. One quick thing to
check is that your system time is correct including the time zone and that in
tools/internet options/advanced you have use SSL2.0 and use SSL3.0 checked under
security. If your time is off quite a bit ssl will not work. Personal
firewalls/internet protection programs also can block access to https secure sites if
configured that way which can be easily dine if you select no when you should have
selected yes. The link below also shows many other item to check. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;813444 -- most applies to
W2K also.