Sign in with
Your question

Fastest CPU Available, For My Board

Last response: in CPUs
February 11, 2007 10:09:22 PM

Hey Guys. I am running an Abit Motherboard, AV8 model: http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/techspec.php?catego...
What would be the absoulute fastest CPU I could run with this motherboard, with no custom tuning or modding necessary? I do a lot of business and file accessing on this computer, and would like the fastest unit available. What would be my best choice? Please advise.

More about : fastest cpu board

February 11, 2007 10:26:51 PM

hi smm2469
that seems to be a decent motherboard with the ability to handle the 939 socket Amd processor. I would recommend that you check out the cpu chart available on the TH home page for a list of potential 939 socket cpu s. Toledo cores are dual-core so depending on what your budget is...
February 11, 2007 10:32:58 PM

Quote:
Hey Guys. I am running an Abit Motherboard, AV8 model: http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/techspec.php?catego...
What would be the absoulute fastest CPU I could run with this motherboard, with no custom tuning or modding necessary? I do a lot of business and file accessing on this computer, and would like the fastest unit available. What would be my best choice? Please advise.

For someone not willing to overclock or mod, this is the best S939:
Opteron 185
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103002
Related resources
February 11, 2007 10:56:55 PM

Athlon64 FX-60/Opteron 185
February 11, 2007 11:14:19 PM

Hey Guys. Right now I am running the AMD Athlon 64 3500+ CPU. Will I see a much better increase in performance?
February 11, 2007 11:16:09 PM

Consider editing your subject to be in "Sentence Case" rather than "ALL CAPS". Good luck.
February 11, 2007 11:18:24 PM

LOL alright, ANYWAYS back to talking about computers...

If I purchase that model you showed me on NewEgg, would that be the best my current board will support? Right now I am running the AMD Athlon 64 3500+ CPU. Will I see a much better increase in performance from that?
February 11, 2007 11:26:45 PM

Quote:
LOL alright, ANYWAYS back to talking about computers...

If I purchase that model you showed me on NewEgg, would that be the best my current board will support? Right now I am running the AMD Athlon 64 3500+ CPU. Will I see a much better increase in performance from that?

Depends on what you do, for all CPU intensive operations you will see A LOT of improvement (about 2X compared to your current CPU), but don't expect your word processor to start faster, PC to boot noticeably faster or things like these
February 11, 2007 11:50:12 PM

I would agree with the Opti 185. Your best bet for speed will be to have sufficient RAM DDR400 and a Raptor 10K would help with load up times.

The CPU isn't all the factors you need to consider. A CPU that is faster than the rest of your system will cause the system to bottleneck and be a fairly worthless upgrade. IMHO
February 12, 2007 12:12:24 AM

Just get the FX-62. It's the fastest consumer chip for your motherboard. But in all honesty, go Core 2 Duo. Sell your mobo, ram , and cpu and invest that into an E6400. With a basic overclock it beats out the FX-62. And for the cost of an FX-62, you can get a mobo and the E6400. In fact, just go with the E6600($316, lowest price) and an Asus p965 mobo and you'll still be well under the cost of an FX-62($540, lowest price according to www.pricewatch.com). But, if you simply want to drop in a processor, go with the opty.
February 12, 2007 12:15:56 AM

OMG :lol:  , There is so much I want to comment on about what you've just typed up, especially the Amazing Rig you have setup, with an Impressive Overclock. I'll just let some of the more "Aggressive" Forum members take you apart :lol: 
February 12, 2007 12:19:52 AM

In my honest opinion, if all you want is a drop in Chip and not a Core 2 Duo overhaul, then an Opteron 180-185 is the choice for you. Will Perform to E6400ish standards without a Sweat.

Quote:
Dude, Your getting an Opty 8)
February 12, 2007 1:38:48 AM

Hi. Yes, correct, I do not want to replace my board or anything. I just want to have the best CPU with the best performance that I can at this time with the current setup. Does anyone have any links to that CPU I need and where it would be the cheapest for me? Please advise.

What hard drive do you suggest with that board for the FASTEST operation? I just want to run a single unit though, no crazy RAID. Like I said, I write a lot of emails and work with Word documents and websites, just want the quickest loading, etc...
February 12, 2007 2:02:49 AM

Quote:
Hi. Yes, correct, I do not want to replace my board or anything. I just want to have the best CPU with the best performance that I can at this time with the current setup. Does anyone have any links to that CPU I need and where it would be the cheapest for me? Please advise.

What hard drive do you suggest with that board for the FASTEST operation? I just want to run a single unit though, no crazy RAID. Like I said, I write a lot of emails and work with Word documents and websites, just want the quickest loading, etc...

m25 posted a link for it from the start...

And again... the Western Digital Raptor 10,000 RPM HDD will give you the fastest load times... though I doubt it will effect office docs that much.

They come in 36, 74, & 147 gig sizes.
February 12, 2007 3:04:28 AM

Hi. Alright, I will be buying that CPU ASAP. Anybody interested in my current 3500+ unit? Now for sale!

I currently have the: Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM
Item #: N82E16822136012 on NewEgg.com
Is that the HD you are referring to for the best performance?

Also, what do you suggest for RAM then? I currently have 2GB of PC3200 RAM...

Right now, just my loading of multiple emails and programs isnt as fast as I would like...
February 12, 2007 6:47:52 AM

I don't get what you're trying to get at? You don't believe my overclock? Here's the CPU validation link http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=167392. What else about my posting are you talking about? Please let me know so I can correct future postings.
February 12, 2007 7:40:54 PM

Congratulations for you OC, but I guess he was talking about your advice on the FX-62; It's an AM2 chip while SMM2469 had a S939 system; (top chip FX-60 and since he did not want to OC, he could get the same stock performance by the Opteron 185 for ~$100 less).
February 12, 2007 7:56:48 PM

LOL anyways...
is anyone interested in purchasing my current 3500+ CPU? I need to get rid of it now...

Does different brand memory make a difference in performance?

Right now, my computer lags up a lot when I load multiple things at once, including not letting me move the mouse or click on things...
February 12, 2007 8:06:07 PM

Okay, my fault on the fx-62, forgot it was an AM2 socket and he has a 939 board. Thanks for the heads up. It would be nice to get corrected with some tact, like you did, rather than babble on about getting tore up by other forum members. It takes someone very immature to treat other people like dirt when they don't even know who they are talking to.
February 12, 2007 8:07:41 PM

you probably will benefit more from more ram, maybe increase to 3GB
February 12, 2007 8:12:49 PM

LOL anyways...
is anyone interested in purchasing my current 3500+ CPU? I need to get rid of it now...

Will different brands of memory make any difference in performance?
February 12, 2007 8:28:02 PM

As far memory brands go, one particular brand isn't going to be faster - they almost all make hi-performance ram. You want low latency ram with timings like 2-2-2-7 or so, and with a 939 you want 2 sticks (preferably the same size and the like). But I would say if you already have a gig of ram, the dual core is going to give the performance boost you're looking for. If you don't have a gig of ram (2 sticks x 512 meg), that's what I would recommend most.
February 12, 2007 8:44:11 PM

Really not that sure how much of a difference any of the upgrades will make to office apps.

The WD will definetly assist with loading windows and office quicker but I take it most of the files you are updating / saving as based on the network so the WD won't make much difference there.

Similarly lower latency RAM will make the system slightly more responsive but this is going to be very marginal for office apps.

This sounds a silly question but what office apps are we talking, MS Office, A local Database based application, depending on the answers the bottleneck may not even be on your PC.

Also are there any specific examples you have of things that are taking too much time, would really help with diagnosing problem.
February 12, 2007 8:50:09 PM

Hi. Well right now, I am actually already running that Western Digital HD in my system, as well as two stick of 1GB PC3200 RAM.
The slowness I am referring to is when, new webpages are loading up, or Office documents are launching, or im working with numerous documents and emails at the same time, etc... I am running cable internet from Comcast and a direct RJ45 Cat 5 10/100 link, so nothing should be laggy from the internet side...

I am thinking I might just need a fresh format of the system as well though... not sure.
February 12, 2007 9:01:28 PM

A software reload will possibly make it better, how many apps are running in the background? Sometimes people get a bunch of programs running in the start menu and that can bog your PC right down.
February 12, 2007 9:25:13 PM

Hi. Well right now I feel like I have everything to the best of my ability, without upgrading the board. I just ordered the CPU from NewEgg today. It just seems very randomly laggy, I think I will have to do a software reload. Should I go to Vista?

Although, I am worried about the reload, because what about the CD key for Windows XP Pro & Office 2007 Pro... what do I do about re-loading them? Please advise.

Also, let me know if anyone is interested in the 3500+ CPU I have in here now...
February 12, 2007 9:35:51 PM

Running a fresh install is always a good to speed things up a bit when you have your set of hardware.
February 12, 2007 9:50:42 PM

Hi. What do I do about my install of Windows XP Pro & Office 2007? The CD keys are already used their maximum number of times...
February 12, 2007 9:57:52 PM

You call india and they give you the stupid number and you are good! I have had to do it MANY times.....but oh well. 8O
February 12, 2007 10:03:06 PM

Hi. I am not sure what that means, what do I need to do, in detail?

Should I just do the Vista install instead?
February 12, 2007 10:12:15 PM

Quote:
Format C: ... Reinstall Windows XP

Be careful what you click on while browsing the net and don't install ANYTHING you arent sure of.

If you can't e-mail and use office apps with a raptor and a 3500+ with a couple gigs of ram, there is something seriously wrong with your network or your windows install...or both...

ever try running spybot or ad-aware?

are you, or anyone else on your network running a peer to peer app like bittorrent?

File sharing can soak up a bunch of network sockets and bring a home/SOHO network to a crawl.

Try the simple stuff first....Then consider hardware upgrades.
February 12, 2007 10:15:17 PM

Quote:

Did a bit of quick research on that board and you would do well to get an AthlonX2 4600+. It seems to be the best bang for your buck. An Opteron would serve you well but is $120 more expensive. The 4600+ is right around $200 depending on where you shop. It will kick your 3500+ right in the "Jimmy's"

Good luck man.
February 12, 2007 10:16:38 PM

Hi. Like stated above by me, it is not internet that is slow, just general day to day computer use...

Anyways, what do I need to do to make sure I can re-install Office 2007 Pro then?
February 12, 2007 10:29:36 PM

Quote:
Hi. I am not sure what that means, what do I need to do, in detail?

Should I just do the Vista install instead?

when you go to register it will tell you to call them in order to register it because it can't over the internet. It will give you and ID number that you will have to put in and then they will give you a code to unlock windows.

Do you have a full version or the upgrade for vista? if you have the upgrade you might not want to do it yet, because as others have found it will void your XP copy. I have both on my machine here on seperate hard drives and I use vista 95% of the time because everything so far runs really well.
February 13, 2007 12:03:28 AM

try this

FX60 939 Socket
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2792677
Opteron 185 939 socket

The price is a toss up and the performance should be a wee bit faster with the FX 60 on standard aps and games. The FX-60 has all of the 3-D now (MMX) SSE instructions, as where the Opteron does not. This is the difference as explained me by AMD. Desktop CPU vs Server CPU
February 13, 2007 1:18:59 AM

Quote:
try this

FX60 939 Socket
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2792677
Opteron 185 939 socket

The price is a toss up and the performance should be a wee bit faster with the FX 60 on standard aps and games. The FX-60 has all of the 3-D now (MMX) SSE instructions, as where the Opteron does not. This is the difference as explained me by AMD. Desktop CPU vs Server CPU

Is this true? Would everyone else agree that the FX60 would be a better choice for the best performance on everyday applications and internet surfing? Money is not an object or problem, I want the best performance and speed!
February 13, 2007 2:02:25 AM

Then get the OPTI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Opteron gives you a 3 year warranty vs 1 year for the FX series.

The FX gives you an unlocked multiplier but you can still increase bus speed on either.
February 13, 2007 7:04:04 AM

Quote:
Then get the OPTI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Opteron gives you a 3 year warranty vs 1 year for the FX series.

The FX gives you an unlocked multiplier but you can still increase bus speed on either.

He's not going to overclock by any amount, so at stock conditions, the FX-60 and Opty 185 perform exactly the same only that the Opteron 185 is about $100 less.
February 13, 2007 2:31:52 PM

There is only $35.00 difference between the FX60 and the Opty185. performance is not excatly the same the FX60 is slightly faster runnning aps and games because of the MMX,SSE instructions that the opteron does not have.
February 13, 2007 4:17:19 PM

Quote:
There is only $35.00 difference between the FX60 and the Opty185. performance is not excatly the same the FX60 is slightly faster runnning aps and games because of the MMX,SSE instructions that the opteron does not have.

Perhaps you missed the Spec page on the Opti...

Opteron 185
February 13, 2007 7:21:10 PM

Quote:

Whaaaat?! It has MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, 3DNOW! Professional I could forgive you for the SSE, but MMX; it's since about 1997 that ALL CPUs have it :lol: 
February 17, 2007 12:02:27 AM

If you reformat your PC, you WILL notice an increase in performance.
February 17, 2007 12:03:10 AM

Nobody gave you the Wrong Stear. If your Board can Support an FX-60 it will Support the Opteron 185, The Opteron is Physically a FX-60 Without a FX Sticker.

The reason why it seems unsupported is because Motherboard Manufacturers are not required to say if they Support the Server Version of the Similar chip. Example. Socket775 Xeon's and Opteron 1XX Series. It says nowhere that they are supported on Core 2 Duo Boards but they Officially are Supported :D  So your in good hands
February 17, 2007 12:11:50 AM

With your current hardware and the problem you are describing, I would say a nice tall glass of Format C: would fix you up. If you don't want to go through all that hassle, try what bb1ood said. Run ad-aware or spybot (even both) and a little anti-virus scan.

I haven't seen anyone ask of you if your computer has always been "laggy", did it get "laggy" all of a sudden, or has it gotten "laggy over time?
February 17, 2007 5:41:16 AM

Hi. The computer will no longer boot. It locks up at the logo start page, and I cannot even get into the BIOS, since I put in the Opti. I called Abit and they said the error and lockup during boot is because the board does not support the Opti...
February 17, 2007 11:25:44 AM

Well just take your previous 939 chip and Manage a BIOS update to the latest rev., and then Most importantly reformat your Hard drive, That same error happen to me when switched out my Motherboard for a new one. It's Expected that you have to re-format windows. Ask anybody in the forums and they would say that the Opteron Skt. 939 Dual Core is unofficially supported if the motherboard has official Support for a Athlon x2 Dual-Core and especially the Athlon FX CPUs

Quote:
Let's first start out by showing you the heart of the ABIT AV8 motherboard, VIA's K8T800 Pro chipset. This chipset supports AMD Athlon 64, Athlon 64 FX, and Opteron processors.

http://www.linuxhardware.org/article.pl?sid=04/10/01/14...

Clearly states that Opteron Processors work on your Board(Don't worry about the Linux part, we're more consigned about hardware)

Picture Shows support for Dual Core Opteron (Servers have always had new Technology come to them before their Desktop Counterparts) That's why Dual Core and Quad Core have come to Opterons before they are made for the Desktop and the Enthusiast sector
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
February 17, 2007 12:26:43 PM

If you are running office apps, any low end to midrange X2 CPU will help. For office applications, spending more for the higher end dual core's is kind of a waste, because you won't see any benefit from the added speed running things like Word and Excel. If you are like me, you usually have 5 or 6 programs open at once, so the dual core is going to help.
2 gig of memory is plenty for what you are doing.
February 17, 2007 3:54:26 PM

Hi. I understand that your saying it SHOULD be supported. But I do not know what to do. I pop out this old CPU and pop the new Opti in. Now the computer will not even go past the BIOS loading screen, I cannot get anywhere, including the BIOS or settings panels...

If it is supported that is great, but it is not working... and I have no options.
!