Backup Local Security Policy

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Hi,

I am trying to backup the local security policy on a standalone machine so i
can set it to another one.

I cannot find any reference as to how i am to do this; do i need to:

A) Copy the "C:\Windows\System32\Group Policy" folder to the other machine?

B) Run the Security Config and Analysis Tool Import say "setup security.inf"
then select "Analyze Now" then export the results to a template then import
this template into the other pc using the same tool?

Any other thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

You can go to the configured computer, open Local Security Policy, right click
security settings and select export. You will have an option to export local or
effective settings to a template. Effective settings would only be different from a
local settings on a domain computer. If export is grayed out, try expanding and
setting on the options tree and it should be available. Export is only available on
W2K computers and will not export file/registry/service settings though you can
configure a custom template for those options.--- Steve

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to backup the local security policy on a standalone machine so i
> can set it to another one.
>
> I cannot find any reference as to how i am to do this; do i need to:
>
> A) Copy the "C:\Windows\System32\Group Policy" folder to the other machine?
>
> B) Run the Security Config and Analysis Tool Import say "setup security.inf"
> then select "Analyze Now" then export the results to a template then import
> this template into the other pc using the same tool?
>
> Any other thoughts greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks.

Hi Chris,

You are right. You can use "Security Configuration and Analysis Tool" to
first configure one PC then export the policy and import it on rest of PCs
again using "Security Configuration and Analysis Tool".

Mike