Termnal Services over VPN

May 10, 2005 7:10:31 PM

As the title suggests, I am trying to connect to a remote computer over a
VPN using Terminal Services. I connect to the VPN (using PPtP) and domain
just fine. My laptop connects with remote desktop via the VPN by just typing
the computer/domain name. I can connect to Terminal Services using a web
protocol or it's public ip, but not over the network. Has anyone had any
success with this?

Thanks,
Josh

More about : termnal services vpn

Anonymous
May 10, 2005 7:53:42 PM

Josh,

So you can get your PC to connect but not your P/PC? Is that correct? If
your P/PC is not connecting, can you share some details on your setup (VPN
client, WM versiion, etc)?

Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor / Owner

"Josh" <Josh@bytheplanet.com> wrote in message
news:o tVgxPZVFHA.1328@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> As the title suggests, I am trying to connect to a remote computer over a
> VPN using Terminal Services. I connect to the VPN (using PPtP) and domain
> just fine. My laptop connects with remote desktop via the VPN by just
> typing the computer/domain name. I can connect to Terminal Services using
> a web protocol or it's public ip, but not over the network. Has anyone had
> any success with this?
>
> Thanks,
> Josh

May 10, 2005 9:39:23 PM

Clinton,

Yes, my Windows XP laptop works fine. I cannot even connect to a network
location in file browser. I checked the log on the host computer and it
shows me connected.

It is a Windows client running RRA. The P/PC is a new Dell x50v so I'm
guessing the latest version of Windows Mobile.

The setup is pretty standard. Filled in IP address, checked PPtP, put in
user/pass, and the domain. For some reason it doesn't seem to see the other
computers on the domain. There is an Active Directory, but I'm pretty sure
that doesn't matter.

Thanks,
Josh

"Clinton Fitch, Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!"
<management@NOSPAMMINGME.clintonfitch.com> wrote in message
> Josh,
>
> So you can get your PC to connect but not your P/PC? Is that correct? If
> your P/PC is not connecting, can you share some details on your setup (VPN
> client, WM versiion, etc)?
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Clinton Fitch
> Senior Editor / Owner
> Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
> http://www.clintonfitch.com
>
> A Pocket PC Magazine "Best Site" for Pocket PC Reviews!
>
> "Josh" <Josh@bytheplanet.com> wrote in message
> news:o tVgxPZVFHA.1328@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> As the title suggests, I am trying to connect to a remote computer over a
>> VPN using Terminal Services. I connect to the VPN (using PPtP) and domain
>> just fine. My laptop connects with remote desktop via the VPN by just
>> typing the computer/domain name. I can connect to Terminal Services using
>> a web protocol or it's public ip, but not over the network. Has anyone
>> had any success with this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Josh

May 10, 2005 9:39:24 PM

If you are having to authenticate to the Active Directory it does matter.
That could be your problem. Do you know if that is the case?

Regards,

--

> Clinton,
>
> Yes, my Windows XP laptop works fine. I cannot even connect to a network
> location in file browser. I checked the log on the host computer and it
> shows me connected.
>
> It is a Windows client running RRA. The P/PC is a new Dell x50v so I'm
> guessing the latest version of Windows Mobile.
>
> The setup is pretty standard. Filled in IP address, checked PPtP, put in
> user/pass, and the domain. For some reason it doesn't seem to see the
> other computers on the domain. There is an Active Directory, but I'm
> pretty sure that doesn't matter.
>
> Thanks,
> Josh
>

> "Clinton Fitch, Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!"
> <management@NOSPAMMINGME.clintonfitch.com> wrote in message
>> Josh,
>>
>> So you can get your PC to connect but not your P/PC? Is that correct?
>> If your P/PC is not connecting, can you share some details on your setup
>> (VPN client, WM versiion, etc)?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> --
>> Clinton Fitch
>> Senior Editor / Owner
>> Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
>> http://www.clintonfitch.com
>>
>> A Pocket PC Magazine "Best Site" for Pocket PC Reviews!
>>
>> "Josh" <Josh@bytheplanet.com> wrote in message
>> news:o tVgxPZVFHA.1328@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>> As the title suggests, I am trying to connect to a remote computer over
>>> a VPN using Terminal Services. I connect to the VPN (using PPtP) and
>>> domain just fine. My laptop connects with remote desktop via the VPN by
>>> just typing the computer/domain name. I can connect to Terminal Services
>>> using a web protocol or it's public ip, but not over the network. Has
>>> anyone had any success with this?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Josh

May 10, 2005 9:50:19 PM

Yes, the VPN must athenticate with the AD. Is it still possible?

> If you are having to authenticate to the Active Directory it does matter.
> That could be your problem. Do you know if that is the case?
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Clinton Fitch
> Senior Editor / Owner
> Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
> http://www.clintonfitch.com
>
> A Pocket PC Magazine "Best Site" for Pocket PC Reviews!
>
> "Josh" <Josh@bytheplanet.com> wrote in message
>> Clinton,
>>
>> Yes, my Windows XP laptop works fine. I cannot even connect to a network
>> location in file browser. I checked the log on the host computer and it
>> shows me connected.
>>
>> It is a Windows client running RRA. The P/PC is a new Dell x50v so I'm
>> guessing the latest version of Windows Mobile.
>>
>> The setup is pretty standard. Filled in IP address, checked PPtP, put in
>> user/pass, and the domain. For some reason it doesn't seem to see the
>> other computers on the domain. There is an Active Directory, but I'm
>> pretty sure that doesn't matter.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Josh
>>

>> "Clinton Fitch, Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!"
>> <management@NOSPAMMINGME.clintonfitch.com> wrote in message
>>> Josh,
>>>
>>> So you can get your PC to connect but not your P/PC? Is that correct?
>>> If your P/PC is not connecting, can you share some details on your setup
>>> (VPN client, WM versiion, etc)?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> --
>>> Clinton Fitch
>>> Senior Editor / Owner
>>> Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
>>> http://www.clintonfitch.com
>>>
>>> A Pocket PC Magazine "Best Site" for Pocket PC Reviews!
>>>
>>> "Josh" <Josh@bytheplanet.com> wrote in message
>>> news:o tVgxPZVFHA.1328@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

Anonymous
May 10, 2005 9:50:20 PM

Josh,

That's going to be the problem. AD doesn't - as far as I know - support for
authentication on WM devices. You can access shares in an AD domain
assuming that the security policy is not too restrictive. Essentially there
is no talk back to WM devices so it stands to logic that network
authentication isn't an option.

Others feel free to correct me if I'm wrong this one.

Regards,

--

news:o I$$GpaVFHA.3108@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Yes, the VPN must athenticate with the AD. Is it still possible?
>

> "Clinton Fitch, Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!"
> <management@NOSPAMMINGME.clintonfitch.com> wrote in message
>> If you are having to authenticate to the Active Directory it does matter.
>> That could be your problem. Do you know if that is the case?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> --
>> Clinton Fitch
>> Senior Editor / Owner
>> Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
>> http://www.clintonfitch.com
>>
>> A Pocket PC Magazine "Best Site" for Pocket PC Reviews!
>>
>> "Josh" <Josh@bytheplanet.com> wrote in message
>>> Clinton,
>>>
>>> Yes, my Windows XP laptop works fine. I cannot even connect to a
>>> network location in file browser. I checked the log on the host computer
>>> and it shows me connected.
>>>
>>> It is a Windows client running RRA. The P/PC is a new Dell x50v so I'm
>>> guessing the latest version of Windows Mobile.
>>>
>>> The setup is pretty standard. Filled in IP address, checked PPtP, put in
>>> user/pass, and the domain. For some reason it doesn't seem to see the
>>> other computers on the domain. There is an Active Directory, but I'm
>>> pretty sure that doesn't matter.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Josh
>>>

>>> "Clinton Fitch, Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!"
>>> <management@NOSPAMMINGME.clintonfitch.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
May 10, 2005 10:14:01 PM

Josh,
When the vpn connection is up can you ping any of the machines on
the other side of the tunnel? Vxutil(www.cam.com) is a great(and free)
networking program to use for this.

rights...
May 10, 2005 10:38:00 PM

Do you know if WM 5.0 will support this? Or is there another way to connect
to "non-public" servers through terminal services?

news:o eBFe2aVFHA.1044@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Josh,
>
> That's going to be the problem. AD doesn't - as far as I know - support
for
> authentication on WM devices. You can access shares in an AD domain
> assuming that the security policy is not too restrictive. Essentially
there
> is no talk back to WM devices so it stands to logic that network
> authentication isn't an option.
>
> Others feel free to correct me if I'm wrong this one.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Clinton Fitch
> Senior Editor / Owner
> Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
> http://www.clintonfitch.com
>
> A Pocket PC Magazine "Best Site" for Pocket PC Reviews!
>
> "Josh" <Josh@bytheplanet.com> wrote in message
> news:o I$$GpaVFHA.3108@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > Yes, the VPN must athenticate with the AD. Is it still possible?
> >

> > "Clinton Fitch, Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!"
> > <management@NOSPAMMINGME.clintonfitch.com> wrote in message
> >> If you are having to authenticate to the Active Directory it does
matter.
> >> That could be your problem. Do you know if that is the case?
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> --
> >> Clinton Fitch
> >> Senior Editor / Owner
> >> Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
> >> http://www.clintonfitch.com
> >>
> >> A Pocket PC Magazine "Best Site" for Pocket PC Reviews!
> >>
> >> "Josh" <Josh@bytheplanet.com> wrote in message

PPtP)
Terminal

May 10, 2005 10:39:00 PM

I have not tried to ping other computers. I will install that program and
try.

!