File Permissions-Access Denial

I recently had random access denial of folders on my machine so I decided to
set all parent and child permissions for my c drive root folder to everyone
to correct the problem, so I thought. well now my system does not boot and I
cannot reinstall or repair win 2000 any Ideas or suggestions?
1 answer Last reply
More about file permissions access denial

    First off random events may indicate a serious problem with the operating system or
    a virus/worm problem. If you simply added the everyone group to permissions, that
    should not cause what happened but if you replace all permissions and permissions are
    not adequate to the system folder you can cause problems similar to what you are
    experiencing. You have a couple of options. One would be to boot from the install
    disk and install a parallel operating system on your computer [ best into a separate
    partition] so that you can boot into it to access your data to backup for a new
    install or to try and make repairs. Otherwise put your hard drive in another computer
    to access and backup your data [including your user profile under documents and
    settings] after scanning the drive for viruses and then boot from the install disk to
    install a new operating system using the format option when prompted. If you try a
    parallel install no NOT select the format option if installing to a partition with
    data you do not want to lose. --- Steve

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;266465 --- how to do a
    parallel install

    "motoz" <motoz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I recently had random access denial of folders on my machine so I decided to
    > set all parent and child permissions for my c drive root folder to everyone
    > to correct the problem, so I thought. well now my system does not boot and I
    > cannot reinstall or repair win 2000 any Ideas or suggestions?

Security Microsoft Permissions Windows