My system may have a virus, worm, trojan

I use McAfee VirusScan 7.10, ZoneAlarm Client, SpyBot search and destroy, and
Adaware software on my Win2K desktop. I believe I may have a virus.
Symptoms are:
-- Found McAfee was disabled (was able to reenable).
-- Spybot found kelogger spyware "Blue-Series" (removed it).
-- When MSPaint is opened the app uses all available virtual memory on the
system (1.3 GB).
-- The desktop wallpaper disappears and the blue background is displayed
(all icons are present plus others I did not place on the desktop).

Adaware and McAfee did not find any problems.

Make sure that you have the latest definitions for your virus definition package
and get a second opinion. There are websites that will do free virus scans
online. Try booting into safe mode to see if the problem persists. If it does
not then you have a application/service/driver that is causing the problem which
could also be a virus. Your best bet in my opinion would be to back up your data
including your user profile under documents and settings and format your hard
drive and do a new install being sure to scan your backed up data before
restoring. See the last link on basic procedures to secure your computer and be
sure that your anti virus scans all emails also. --- Steve

http://security.symantec.com/ssc/vc_about.asp?j=1&langid=in&venid=sym&plfid=23&pkj=DEIRORVWHFHMFNZMBBX
https://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx

"Tony Yanez" <TonyYanez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I use McAfee VirusScan 7.10, ZoneAlarm Client, SpyBot search and destroy, and
> Adaware software on my Win2K desktop. I believe I may have a virus.
> Symptoms are:
> -- Found McAfee was disabled (was able to reenable).
> -- Spybot found kelogger spyware "Blue-Series" (removed it).
> -- When MSPaint is opened the app uses all available virtual memory on the
> system (1.3 GB).
> -- The desktop wallpaper disappears and the blue background is displayed
> (all icons are present plus others I did not place on the desktop).
>
> Adaware and McAfee did not find any problems.

McAfee checks for latest .dat files automatically daily and scans all email
attachements (I use Outlook Express). Dat file is 4387.

Booted in safe mode and the problem with MSPaint using all the virtual
memory went awa. This is quite worrying.

"Steven Umbach" wrote:

> Make sure that you have the latest definitions for your virus definition package
> and get a second opinion. There are websites that will do free virus scans
> online. Try booting into safe mode to see if the problem persists. If it does
> not then you have a application/service/driver that is causing the problem which
> could also be a virus. Your best bet in my opinion would be to back up your data
> including your user profile under documents and settings and format your hard
> drive and do a new install being sure to scan your backed up data before
> restoring. See the last link on basic procedures to secure your computer and be
> sure that your anti virus scans all emails also. --- Steve
>
> http://security.symantec.com/ssc/vc_about.asp?j=1&langid=in&venid=sym&plfid=23&pkj=DEIRORVWHFHMFNZMBBX
> https://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
>

> "Tony Yanez" <TonyYanez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I use McAfee VirusScan 7.10, ZoneAlarm Client, SpyBot search and destroy, and
> > Adaware software on my Win2K desktop. I believe I may have a virus.
> > Symptoms are:
> > -- Found McAfee was disabled (was able to reenable).
> > -- Spybot found kelogger spyware "Blue-Series" (removed it).
> > -- When MSPaint is opened the app uses all available virtual memory on the
> > system (1.3 GB).
> > -- The desktop wallpaper disappears and the blue background is displayed
> > (all icons are present plus others I did not place on the desktop).
> >
> > Adaware and McAfee did not find any problems.

Inspect your registry startup (run) entries..
track down anything strange..
don't use/click on the desktop - don't trust it.
ctrl-alt-del .. tack manager.. File, run.. regedit..

update your spybot to latest (1.3).. download the updates, immunize the
system and enable the teatimer..
teatimer protects your run registry... pops up a dialogue if something tries
to change values/entries

David Barnes