Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
February 28, 2005 6:57:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi -

I'm helping someone with their system and it seems like a couple of here
programs are not working. She has XP Pro. When she try to launch the
programs from either the desktop icon or start menu, they are not launching.
We've tried system restore, uninstalling and reinstalling the programs to no
avail. No info was on the manufacturer either to correct the problem . The
programs in question are CloneCD and a labeling program (to create mailing
labels, etc.)

We ran the ad-aware programs for spyware and the antivirus (nothing comes
up).

Is there a way to install a fresh registry without doing a repair install?
If we reinstall some of the programs, that's fine but we don't want to
reinstall in the O/S. Any info will greatly be appreciated. Thanks in
advance.

Newtechie

More about : reinstall repair registry

February 28, 2005 6:57:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

What virus software are you using.

"Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi -
>
> I'm helping someone with their system and it seems like a couple of here
> programs are not working. She has XP Pro. When she try to launch the
> programs from either the desktop icon or start menu, they are not
launching.
> We've tried system restore, uninstalling and reinstalling the programs to
no
> avail. No info was on the manufacturer either to correct the problem .
The
> programs in question are CloneCD and a labeling program (to create mailing
> labels, etc.)
>
> We ran the ad-aware programs for spyware and the antivirus (nothing comes
> up).
>
> Is there a way to install a fresh registry without doing a repair install?
> If we reinstall some of the programs, that's fine but we don't want to
> reinstall in the O/S. Any info will greatly be appreciated. Thanks in
> advance.
>
> Newtechie

Anonymous
February 28, 2005 7:31:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Uninstall the programs that will not open, then reinstall
them using their original installation media.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Newtechie" wrote:

| Hi -
|
| I'm helping someone with their system and it seems like a couple of here
| programs are not working. She has XP Pro. When she try to launch the
| programs from either the desktop icon or start menu, they are not launching.
| We've tried system restore, uninstalling and reinstalling the programs to no
| avail. No info was on the manufacturer either to correct the problem . The
| programs in question are CloneCD and a labeling program (to create mailing
| labels, etc.)
|
| We ran the ad-aware programs for spyware and the antivirus (nothing comes
| up).
|
| Is there a way to install a fresh registry without doing a repair install?
| If we reinstall some of the programs, that's fine but we don't want to
| reinstall in the O/S. Any info will greatly be appreciated. Thanks in
| advance.
|
| Newtechie
February 28, 2005 7:36:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi Carey,

That didn't work either. Tried that already.

Newtechie

> Uninstall the programs that will not open, then reinstall
> them using their original installation media.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...

----

> "Newtechie" wrote:
>
> | Hi -
> |
> | I'm helping someone with their system and it seems like a couple of here
> | programs are not working. She has XP Pro. When she try to launch the
> | programs from either the desktop icon or start menu, they are not
launching.
> | We've tried system restore, uninstalling and reinstalling the programs
to no
> | avail. No info was on the manufacturer either to correct the problem .
The
> | programs in question are CloneCD and a labeling program (to create
mailing
> | labels, etc.)
> |
> | We ran the ad-aware programs for spyware and the antivirus (nothing
comes
> | up).
> |
> | Is there a way to install a fresh registry without doing a repair
install?
> | If we reinstall some of the programs, that's fine but we don't want to
> | reinstall in the O/S. Any info will greatly be appreciated. Thanks in
> | advance.
> |
> | Newtechie

Anonymous
February 28, 2005 8:21:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

She's using NAV 2005.

"Shaun" <snoggle@myvine.com> wrote in message
> What virus software are you using.
>
> "Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Hi -
> >
> > I'm helping someone with their system and it seems like a couple of here
> > programs are not working. She has XP Pro. When she try to launch the
> > programs from either the desktop icon or start menu, they are not
> launching.
> > We've tried system restore, uninstalling and reinstalling the programs
> no
> > avail. No info was on the manufacturer either to correct the problem .
> The
> > programs in question are CloneCD and a labeling program (to create
mailing
> > labels, etc.)
> >
> > We ran the ad-aware programs for spyware and the antivirus (nothing
comes
> > up).
> >
> > Is there a way to install a fresh registry without doing a repair
install?
> > If we reinstall some of the programs, that's fine but we don't want to
> > reinstall in the O/S. Any info will greatly be appreciated. Thanks in
> > advance.
> >
> > Newtechie

Anonymous
February 28, 2005 11:48:00 PM

Just go down to 7/11 and buy a registry and slap that
puppy on your system . . .

Anonymous
March 1, 2005 2:06:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Based upon your post contents I would intensely suggest you keep out of the
registry!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

> Hi -
>
> I'm helping someone with their system and it seems like a couple of here
> programs are not working. She has XP Pro. When she try to launch the
> programs from either the desktop icon or start menu, they are not
> launching.
> We've tried system restore, uninstalling and reinstalling the programs to
> no
> avail. No info was on the manufacturer either to correct the problem .
> The
> programs in question are CloneCD and a labeling program (to create mailing
> labels, etc.)
>
> We ran the ad-aware programs for spyware and the antivirus (nothing comes
> up).
>
> Is there a way to install a fresh registry without doing a repair install?
> If we reinstall some of the programs, that's fine but we don't want to
> reinstall in the O/S. Any info will greatly be appreciated. Thanks in
> advance.
>
> Newtechie

Anonymous
March 1, 2005 3:22:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Manually remove the offending registry entries. Computer problems can
sometimes be a pain but all you can do is think your way around the problem
using every method you know.

--
Jonah
"Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:o qD9EZeHFHA.1500@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Hi Carey,
>
> That didn't work either. Tried that already.
>
> Newtechie

>> Uninstall the programs that will not open, then reinstall
>> them using their original installation media.
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups
>>
>> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...

> ----
>>
>> "Newtechie" wrote:
>>
>> | Hi -
>> |
>> | I'm helping someone with their system and it seems like a couple of
>> here
>> | programs are not working. She has XP Pro. When she try to launch the
>> | programs from either the desktop icon or start menu, they are not
> launching.
>> | We've tried system restore, uninstalling and reinstalling the programs
> to no
>> | avail. No info was on the manufacturer either to correct the problem .
> The
>> | programs in question are CloneCD and a labeling program (to create
> mailing
>> | labels, etc.)
>> |
>> | We ran the ad-aware programs for spyware and the antivirus (nothing
> comes
>> | up).
>> |
>> | Is there a way to install a fresh registry without doing a repair
> install?
>> | If we reinstall some of the programs, that's fine but we don't want to
>> | reinstall in the O/S. Any info will greatly be appreciated. Thanks in
>> | advance.
>> |
>> | Newtechie

Anonymous
March 1, 2005 3:22:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hey Sleepless,

I'd prefer to install or create a new registry as this is not my computer
and I don't wanna screw up anything else. Thanks though.

Newtechie

"Sleepless in Seattle" <jonah@guest.com> wrote in message
> Manually remove the offending registry entries. Computer problems can
> sometimes be a pain but all you can do is think your way around the
> problem using every method you know.
>
> --
> Jonah
> "Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:o qD9EZeHFHA.1500@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Hi Carey,
>>
>> That didn't work either. Tried that already.
>>
>> Newtechie
>>
>> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Uninstall the programs that will not open, then reinstall
>>> them using their original installation media.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Carey Frisch
>>> Microsoft MVP
>>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>>> Microsoft Newsgroups
>>>
>>> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...

>> ----

>>> here
>> launching.
>> to no
>>> .
>> The
>> mailing

>> comes

>> install?
>>> in

Anonymous
March 1, 2005 3:22:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I don't know how you install a registry except by restoring from a backup of
the system's own registry. As for creating a new registry, that IS a
reinstall or repair install of the OS. The registry is not an application.
It is a database of all the operating system's attributes.

"Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:o j5uRUfHFHA.3588@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Hey Sleepless,
>
> I'd prefer to install or create a new registry as this is not my computer
> and I don't wanna screw up anything else. Thanks though.
>
> Newtechie
>
> "Sleepless in Seattle" <jonah@guest.com> wrote in message
>> Manually remove the offending registry entries. Computer problems can
>> sometimes be a pain but all you can do is think your way around the
>> problem using every method you know.
>>
>> --
>> Jonah
>> "Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> news:o qD9EZeHFHA.1500@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>> Hi Carey,
>>>
>>> That didn't work either. Tried that already.
>>>
>>> Newtechie
>>>
>>> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message

>>> ----

>>> launching.
>>> to no
>>> The
>>> mailing

>>> comes

>>> install?

March 1, 2005 7:51:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

IOW, use system Restore (if it goes back far enough prior to the two
installations).

--

johnf

>I don't know how you install a registry except by restoring from a
> backup of the system's own registry. As for creating a new registry,
> that IS a reinstall or repair install of the OS. The registry is not
> an application. It is a database of all the operating system's
> attributes.
> "Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:o j5uRUfHFHA.3588@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Hey Sleepless,
>>
>> I'd prefer to install or create a new registry as this is not my
>> computer and I don't wanna screw up anything else. Thanks though.
>>
>> Newtechie
>>
>> "Sleepless in Seattle" <jonah@guest.com> wrote in message
>>> Manually remove the offending registry entries. Computer problems can
>>> sometimes be a pain but all you can do is think your way around the
>>> problem using every method you know.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jonah
>>> "Newtechie" <newtechie@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> news:o qD9EZeHFHA.1500@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

Anonymous
March 2, 2005 4:36:12 AM

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:48:00 -0800,
<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics wrote this terrifying message:

>Just go down to 7/11 and buy a registry and slap that
>puppy on your system . . .

I can get a registry for 0.009 from a local shop down the road. Anyone
got a better offer then that?

They also offer them for free with a Windows for Dummies and Microsoft
for n00b's handbooks.

Maybe the OP should look into those.

Jason Marshall
Australian Unemployed IT Technician/ASP Web Developer.
Email me: services_admin@hotmail.com.

ATTN: Help Others: Please keep all replies to my posts in the newsgroup.
Failure to do so can result in your message not being answered.