monitor internet use

Mike

Splendid

I would like to know if it is possible to monitor the
internet use and web sights visted of one of our employes.
We have windows 2000 server with a Domain of about 20
people all using XP Pro.
Would appreciate any help.

The easiest way would be if the software/hardware sharing the Internet
connection has some sort of logging

Listing the software/hardware you are using to share the internet connection
would aid in getting a response detailed to that particular
hardware/software, if it is possible, if not a third party app can be
recommended.

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

"Mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I would like to know if it is possible to monitor the
> internet use and web sights visted of one of our employes.
> We have windows 2000 server with a Domain of about 20
> people all using XP Pro.
> Would appreciate any help.

We are useing a linksys router to share our internet,
which is a DSL connection through SBC.

There is not a way to do that with the operating system itself. ISA server could give
you detailed reports for users but that is not a cheap product, requires the use of
a server, and takes a bit of learning. I would check to see if your firewall can log
where users are going on the internet. You would have to give the user a static IP
address and then view the logs to see what the IP has been accessing. Many of event
the cheap NAT routers can do some logging, but the SOHO firewalls such as Net and
SonicWall can do detailed logging. --- Steve

"Mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I would like to know if it is possible to monitor the
> internet use and web sights visted of one of our employes.
> We have windows 2000 server with a Domain of about 20
> people all using XP Pro.
> Would appreciate any help.

I don't have experience with Linksys routers. You might check their website
for information on the logging capabilities of your router model.

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

> We are useing a linksys router to share our internet,
> which is a DSL connection through SBC.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

I like Actmon (the program formerly known as Starr Commander). It's great,
pretty invisible to the average user, and you can have reports emailed to
you, so you don't need to periodically check each system.

-VR