Newbish question about the series

Last response: in Video Games
August 6, 2005 5:19:27 AM

I've heard two conflicting things about Neverwinter Nights, Shadows of
Undrentide, and Hordes of the Underdark. One source I've heard says that the
games happen concurrently and you can't import characters from previous
games into the expansions. Another source says they are connected so the
characters CAN carry over.

What's the truth?

Ard Rhi
August 6, 2005 5:56:41 AM

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 01:19:27 GMT, "Ard Rhi"
<[nospam]ardrhi@earthlink(anti-spam).net> dared speak in front of ME:

>I've heard two conflicting things about Neverwinter Nights, Shadows of
>Undrentide, and Hordes of the Underdark. One source I've heard says that the
>games happen concurrently and you can't import characters from previous
>games into the expansions. Another source says they are connected so the
>characters CAN carry over.

Undrentide and Neverwinter Nights happen concurrently, and both expect
you to start with a first level character.

Hordes starts after both, and expects you to have transitioned in from
Shadows (with a possible filler-module in between.)

--
Address no longer works.
try removing all numbers from

August 6, 2005 6:40:51 AM

Thats because it's not wrong, NeverWinter Nights Official Campaign and
Shadows of Undrentide are designed for 1st level characters, Hordes of the
Underdark would be a continuation from either of the previous two. There is
nothing to stop you from playing Shadows of Undrentide with the character
you completed the Official Campaign with, except boredom. Typically the
character used to complete the Official Campaign will be between 16th and
18th level. Which would make Shadows of Undrentide a complete utter lack of
any kinda of challenge.
August 6, 2005 6:48:25 AM

"Ard Rhi" <[nospam]ardrhi@earthlink(anti-spam).net> wrote in message
> "Paul Colquhoun" <postmaster@andor.dropbear.id.au> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 01:19:27 GMT, Ard Rhi <> wrote:
>>> I've heard two conflicting things about Neverwinter Nights, Shadows of
>>> Undrentide, and Hordes of the Underdark. One source I've heard says that
>>> the games happen concurrently and you can't import characters from
>>> previous games into the expansions. Another source says they are
>>> connected so the characters CAN carry over.
>>>
>>> What's the truth?
>>
>> I have run 1 character through the Original then SoU & started HotU with
>> no problems. The expansion packs refer to the Original adventure, so they
>> must occur some time later.
>
> Confused now. The BioWare site says Neverwinter Nights and Shadows of
> Undrentide happen concurrently... so how can one import a character like
> that? But a friend of mine who has played it says one can do it.
>
> I am going to play, but it is still weird for the original company FAQ to be
> wrong, it seems.

The events of SoU occur more or less concurrently (in terms of the story
behind them) with the original campaign, but the game itself doesn't pay any
attention to which character you use in each module. So, while SoU may make
reference to things in the OC in the present tense, the game won't stop you
from using the same character in both. (However, both are designed for a 1st
level character at the beginning, and you'll probably be at least level 12 by
the time you're done with either one, more likely higher than that. So your
character will probably be way more powerful than expected once you start the
next one.)

(HotU takes place after both SoU and the OC; it's intended to be a sequel to
SoU, and may cause some confusion if you use the same character as you used in
the OC. Other characters will refer to the hero from the OC, but won't (if
you use the same character) recognize you as being that hero.)

In fact, because the game pays no attention to which modules you've used a
particular character in, it's possible to finish a module, then start it again
with the same character, only at a higher level and with more equipment.

--
Brian Perler bperler@sprynet.com
"The only thing I regret about my past life is the length of it. If I had my

> I've heard two conflicting things about Neverwinter Nights, Shadows of
> Undrentide, and Hordes of the Underdark. One source I've heard says that the
> games happen concurrently and you can't import characters from previous
> games into the expansions. Another source says they are connected so the
> characters CAN carry over.

In technical terms, you can import *any* exported character into any
*new* module, but the module author is free to take action to balance
the module by for example stripping you of kit or demoting you.

In story terms, it's assumed that the Hero of Neverwinter (the original
campaign) rides off into the sunset and/or certain nwnvault modules,
and the character in SoU starts at clvl 1 and goes on to do HotU,
perhaps using 'Shadohaunt' or 'The Nether Scrolls' as a transition.

HTH,
Richard.
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 4:03:35 PM

> I've heard two conflicting things about Neverwinter Nights, Shadows of
> Undrentide, and Hordes of the Underdark. One source I've heard says that
> the games happen concurrently and you can't import characters from
> previous games into the expansions. Another source says they are connected
> so the characters CAN carry over.
>
> What's the truth?

I went OC, SOU then HOTU with the same character because that's what I
thought I was supposed to do.
Character seemed to import OK, as they do into most mods.
There ARE some mods which only let you have a level 1 character, and there's
other mods which start off with a leveller to bring your characver up to the
required level too.

HTH
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 7:35:05 PM

So does that mean that I should be able to play HoU with my character that I
finished the OC with and still be challenged? Thanks.

"Visceral_Syn" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> Thats because it's not wrong, NeverWinter Nights Official Campaign and
> Shadows of Undrentide are designed for 1st level characters, Hordes of the
> Underdark would be a continuation from either of the previous two. There
> is
> nothing to stop you from playing Shadows of Undrentide with the character
> you completed the Official Campaign with, except boredom. Typically the
> character used to complete the Official Campaign will be between 16th and
> 18th level. Which would make Shadows of Undrentide a complete utter lack
> of
> any kinda of challenge.

Anonymous
August 7, 2005 7:35:06 PM

"egomann" <nunya@yourbizniss.com> looked up from reading the entrails of

>So does that mean that I should be able to play HoU with my character that I
>finished the OC with and still be challenged? Thanks.

Most likely.

HotU was intended to be played after SoU+bridging module, which would
put you at around level 13-16.
The OC on the other hand may get you a couple levels higher, but since
HotU is fairly tough, even if you managed to be level 20 in the OC you
won't find HotU a walkover.

Makes me wonder if that's why Bioware pulled the "thief" routine at the
start of HotU, to "balance" things for OC characters played in HotU.

[If you didn't know, i'm referring to you getting robbed of all your
items in the intro to HotU, which weakens most characters quite a bit.
You do eventually get it all back (or at least most of it.)]

Xocyll
August 7, 2005 9:12:52 PM

egomann wrote:
> So does that mean that I should be able to play HoU with my character that I
> finished the OC with and still be challenged? Thanks.

Yes. HotU is a good fit for a character who's been through either SoU
or the OC. However, everyone in HotU will talk about "the Hero of
Neverwinter" as someone other than your PC, who will instead be spoken
of as having completed SoU.
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 10:45:45 PM

Xocyll wrote:

> [If you didn't know, i'm referring to you getting robbed of all your
> items in the intro to HotU, which weakens most characters quite a bit.
> You do eventually get it all back (or at least most of it.)]

Even though by that time you have better stuff. :)
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 5:00:09 PM

John Salerno <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> looked up from reading the
say:

>Xocyll wrote:
>
>> [If you didn't know, i'm referring to you getting robbed of all your
>> items in the intro to HotU, which weakens most characters quite a bit.
>> You do eventually get it all back (or at least most of it.)]
>
>Even though by that time you have better stuff. :)

Depends on the character class really.
Most of the gear will be better, but there's those few one-off powerful
items from the OC that won't be bettered (assuming you didn't use them
up.)

All I was really alluding to was that all characters WILL be made
"equally weak" in the beginning, but that they will also get their
"trophies" and loot back eventually.

Pissed me off the way SoU removed the dragon skull from my inventory
when leaving that chapter - I wanted it as a trophy.

Too many game designers think "this is a quest item and no longer needed
so remove it" even when that _doesn't_ fit with what the character would
do.

No longer needed is not the same as no longer wanted.

Not to mention NOT allowing me to loot all those dozens of meters of
prime dragon skin. Not even enough to make a pair of sandals for the
monk.

Heck even the special items quest is broken. You get only ONE chance to
give them up, if you lie and say you haven't recovered it yet, you can't
give it up later - even though they DON'T know if you have it yet or
not.

I sure hope the quest guys for NWN2 are a bit more on the ball and avoid
these type of mistakes.

Xocyll
August 8, 2005 8:14:19 PM

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 18:45:45 -0400, John Salerno
<johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:

>Xocyll wrote:
>
>> [If you didn't know, i'm referring to you getting robbed of all your
>> items in the intro to HotU, which weakens most characters quite a bit.
>> You do eventually get it all back (or at least most of it.)]
>
>Even though by that time you have better stuff. :)

Except a character from the OC will have a lot more storage
containers. Beware that there's a bug that will lose you some of your
equipment.
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 8:14:19 PM

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 13:00:09 -0700, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>
wrote:

>Too many game designers think "this is a quest item and no longer needed
>so remove it" even when that _doesn't_ fit with what the character would
>do.

Quest items are likely unique items in the module and they'll get
stripped if you go to any module that doesn't have them.
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 10:06:54 PM

Loren Pechtel <lorenpechtel@removethis.hotmail.com> looked up from
reading the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good,
the signs say:

>On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 13:00:09 -0700, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>
>wrote:
>
>>Too many game designers think "this is a quest item and no longer needed
>>so remove it" even when that _doesn't_ fit with what the character would
>>do.
>
>Quest items are likely unique items in the module and they'll get
>stripped if you go to any module that doesn't have them.

I realize this.

There's no reason to strip things out within the same module, which is
what the NWN created stuff does.

Xocyll
August 9, 2005 4:27:14 PM

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 18:06:54 -0700, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>
wrote:

>Loren Pechtel <lorenpechtel@removethis.hotmail.com> looked up from
>reading the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good,
>the signs say:
>
>>On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 13:00:09 -0700, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Too many game designers think "this is a quest item and no longer needed
>>>so remove it" even when that _doesn't_ fit with what the character would
>>>do.
>>
>>Quest items are likely unique items in the module and they'll get
>>stripped if you go to any module that doesn't have them.
>
>I realize this.
>
>There's no reason to strip things out within the same module, which is
>what the NWN created stuff does.

Where is anything stripped within a module??

Things like the OC, SotU and HotU are actually multiple modules strung
together. Items are only stripped at module changes.
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 5:39:55 PM

Loren Pechtel <lorenpechtel@removethis.hotmail.com> looked up from
reading the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good,
the signs say:

>On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 18:06:54 -0700, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>
>wrote:
>
>>Loren Pechtel <lorenpechtel@removethis.hotmail.com> looked up from
>>reading the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good,
>>the signs say:

>>>Quest items are likely unique items in the module and they'll get
>>>stripped if you go to any module that doesn't have them.
>>
>>I realize this.
>>
>>There's no reason to strip things out within the same module, which is
>>what the NWN created stuff does.
>
>Where is anything stripped within a module??
>
>Things like the OC, SotU and HotU are actually multiple modules strung
>together.

I realize that, but it's one adventure.

>Items are only stripped at module changes.

And there's no reason for them to be stripped except the designer
thinking "this isn't needed" but not ever considering that it might be
wanted.

The only reason I can think of why they do it at all is laziness.
They flag it as an unsellable quest item, in order to save you from
being stupid and selling it, and then you have an item you can't sell so
they remove it from you when you leave that areas.

From the character's point of view (and yours if you're immersed in the
story), an item just vanished into thin air for no reason at all.

This is just one of the many ways to _break_immersion_ and it's not even
limited to NWN or rpgs even.
It's a stupid thing to do, and level designers don't even seem to know
they are doing it as they treat the player like a stupid child.

Hey your character killed a freaking dragon, you'd think he'd want a
souvenir. At least SOME characters would.

In the case of a wizard - that's spell components and such.
Dragon skin capes, pouches, chest-coverings, etc.

Considering the number of other things you carry foreward into the other
modules - including unique items, there's no reason to strip _anything_
from the characters unless it's a story point (like the HotU start
robbery.)

Xocyll
August 12, 2005 2:09:04 AM

Xocyll wrote:
> John Salerno <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> looked up from reading the
> entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
> say:
>

>>Xocyll wrote:
>>

>>>[If you didn't know, i'm referring to you getting robbed of all your
>>>items in the intro to HotU, which weakens most characters quite a bit.
>>>You do eventually get it all back (or at least most of it.)]
>>
>>Even though by that time you have better stuff. :)
>

> Depends on the character class really.
> Most of the gear will be better, but there's those few one-off powerful
> items from the OC that won't be bettered (assuming you didn't use them
> up.)

True, but I was thinking of importing a character from SoU. There aren't
too many overly powerful items from that expansion, I don't think.
!