Buy the 8800GTX or wait until wedensday?

merc84

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Ok, so I'm going to buy parts for a system I'm building tomorrow and I need some advice. Apparently, according to the Wiki on the R600, ATI is sending out review samples to the media on the 14th...should I wait to see what the benchmarks are for it or just go out and get my bleeding edge stuff? My response to this would be, "Well wait stupid!" but see, there's no word on what motherboard this R600 will be compatible with and I'm sure it's not going to be an Intel board because of the ATI/AMD merger, but being the QX6700 is the best CPU right now, that's what I want and I don't want to wait 3 months for AMD to get their quad-core out. Also...I have the Dell 2407WFP waiting beside me and I can't run it yet until I get a card that can run that oh so sweet 1920x1200...

merc84

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
That's exactly what I thought Namrom...even if the R600 is 20% faster than the 8800GTX, that's still 2-3 more months of waiting, staring at my new monitor I can't use, wasting time. I'm sure it will be faster, it's always a back and forth for ATI/Nvidia, but I don't think anyone knows what CPU/Mobo combo will be compatible with the R600 and until then that's time I could be using to blast away at Supreme Commander @ 1920x1200. I think the 20% doesn't outweigh that waiting game...

tweebel

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
And if the Ati/AMD is better after all you will still get some good money for the nVidia (although the price will probably decrease rather quickly if there's some real competition from Ati/AMD).

merc84

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Bought a cart, then thought.... "Gee... I'll need a horse to pull it..." Maybe you should have got the horse first?

Well actually I've been planning on buying a whole new system for months but those R600 screens were released like 3 days ago on VR-Zone...so thus the conundrum.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
"Ok, so I'm going to buy parts for a system I'm building tomorrow and I need some advice. Apparently, according to the Wiki on the R600, ATI is sending out review samples to the media on the 14th...should I wait to see what the benchmarks are for it or just go out and get my bleeding edge stuff? My response to this would be, "Well wait stupid!" but see, there's no word on what motherboard this R600 will be compatible with and I'm sure it's not going to be an Intel board because of the ATI/AMD merger, but being the QX6700 is the best CPU right now, that's what I want and I don't want to wait 3 months for AMD to get their quad-core out. Also...I have the Dell 2407WFP waiting beside me and I can't run it yet until I get a card that can run that oh so sweet 1920x1200..."

'Nuff said.

merc84

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Your comment before suggests that I bought the monitor, plugged it in and found out I need to buy a new system. I was just clarifying that buying a new system involves purchasing many parts and not always at the same time, the monitor is one of them and it was the first thing I got...some people here have been very helpful with their comments but others seem to write only derogatory ones...

cal7

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
Your question would have a meaning if you were to buy R600 in few days or within a couple of weeks.Now since you wont be able to do that and GTX is the best you can get , go get it and enjoy your new system.You never really win in this scenario , things you buy become cheaper even the very next day so dont think about it.R600 will be faster and 8800 prices will drop (not so much i think) then nVidia will have 8900 blah blah blah...

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
the ATI card will work on any PCI-E capable motherboard. Making it non-compatible with Intel CPUs would be almost like suicide for AMD.

That's what I was thinking. The notion that AMD would make a GPU incompatible with a Intel mobo just because it is Intel is ludicrous. It would likely spell the death for a majority of the enthusiast market. Maybe not the entire market, but there is no possible way they could put a spin on that situation and make it look good.

-OP
No offense but GPU's being incompatible with CPU's is an insane notion.

Why go QX6700.... and not X6800 (less heat, more OC and more useful power). In general of course.

scrag_meister

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
Go for it!! , as is always the case with PC upgrades.

10 You wait and wait
20 There is something bigger, better, brighter, faster etc.. on the horizon
30 GOTO 10

40 Buy new PC
50 END

Yes I realise there is nomore GOTO in VB.NET!!!! :)

I bought an 8800 GTX and a DELL 2407 before Christmas and no regrets here. Even if the R600 is better, there is always next time.

TucsonPi

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2007
You've come this far, how about you wait until Wednesday to see what's really going on.

The media will receive samples on wednesday, but they'll probably be under NDA until Cebit when ATI does the paper release. So it's not like you're going to see benchmarks soon anyway.

Just like the GTS 320MB, I'm sure the media has had samples, but there haven't been any benchies yet, except the sort of lame INQ one where they took off the heat sink for pics so you couldn't see what brand it was. So figure on waiting a few weeks, just to see benchies, if you're all that interested in waiting a month and a half to then buy the R600 in April.

merc84

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Thanks for the great advice guys. I'm pretty much sold on the XFX 8800GTX XXX right now and I know I'll be happy with it:) I build a new system every 24 months and Vista/R600/DX10...all these changes are happening very close together. I'll post specs and probably pics of the system when it's done. I'm keeping my XP Home OS until Crysis comes out by the way, then it's all about the Vista Ultimate baby!. Hopefully Nvidia/Creative get their act together as well as other companies so we can get some equal performance with XP.

cleeve

Illustrious
Go for it!! , as is always the case with PC upgrades.

Usually I'd agree with you, but there's not even a DirectX 10 game out yet, so there's no colossal hurry to get a Dx10 part...

With the R600 coming out so soon, I'd also seriously consider buying a cheap temporary part to tie you over, if your goal is an expensive Dx10 card that you want to last a while.

Having said that, you can't really go wrong with a $300 8800 GTS, either...

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
If you think benchmarks are coming out on Wednesday, I don't see the harm in waiting two days... if the ATI card is going to dominate the Nvidia you could just go ahead and drop $100 on a basic card to get you buy while you wait for ATI to drop the hammer on NVidia... if the benchmarks don't turn out so great, you could go ahead and get that 8800 GTX that still won't work correctly with Vista.

pongrules

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
Wait the two days to see if you there are any benchmarks for the r600 available at least. If you simply can't wait, then go with the 8800GTX--I have it, you won't be sorry. It's overkill for the time being--there's not a game that can push it right now. Even if the r600 is a little faster, three months later there will be something even faster than that. So, you could end up waiting forever if you use the "I'll wait until there's something better," philosophy because there will always be something better.

Look at it from a practical point of view. There aren't any games coming out anytime soon that take full advantage of the 8800GTX's capabilities. So even if the r600 is faster, there still won't be any games available to take full advantage of its capabilities. Besides, the price on the 8800GTX's will probably come down if the r600 is faster. Either way, you'll be set for some time to come. It's just a matter of how patient you are, but at some point in time, you're going to have to jump in because there will always be something faster than what you got that comes out shortly after you buy it.

merc84

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
That's exactly my philosophy PongRules, I don't want to get caught up in a waiting cycle. I know I'll be happy with my system even if the R600 is 20% faster...

NamronSllim

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
The horse cart thing just doesn't do anything for me. It's more like a 3 month wait till he can get his grubbies on it So like a real hungry vulture says "I'm gonna kill something". I got real hungry at tax time. 8O

MowTin

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
I was in the same situation back around Christmass. Everyone told me to wait because the R600 would be out at end of January. Ha! Where is it? Now they say March, April?

Who knows when R600 will be out? You would have to wait a few months for R600 and that can seem like forever when you're really itching.

It all depends on how much cash you have. You can buy 8800 GTX and sell it when R600 is out and offers you the kind of performance increase you want in the game(s) you like to play. That's if you can afford the $100 to $200 possible loss.

If the game is Crysis you have to remember that it's proabably optimized for the G80 and even if the R600 is better there may be no advantage for Crysis.

And we've seen how it has taken Nvidia to get G80 drivers for Vista. Are we to believe that ATI is going to have those drivers fully ready at launch?

Well, I would wait at least until Wednesday or whenever the first reviews come out for R600 and then I'd make my decision then.

PS: Maybe it would be better to just buy and Xbox. You can plug it into that big Dell monitor of yours. Then later you can "STRIKE!" and buy the r600 or nvidia's answer to r600 after the first crop of DX10 games come out.

cleeve

Illustrious
To me, the R600 is different from your typical upgrade because people are putting down money for future Dx10 performance on games that do not yet exists. So waiting isn't so bad, I think.

But if you have a slow videocard and want something now, the 8800 certainly isn't a bad choice.

But it seems to me alot of people are preemptively planning a Dx10 upgrade because of Vista. And that's a waste...