Password Policy

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
August 25, 2004 7:28:00 PM

Hi.

We are about to implement a new password policy. We have one domain but we
have several companies (OU's) in this domain. What we would like to do is to
implement the password policy company by company. As far as I can see it is
possible to set password policy per OU, however most references to password
policy on Microsoft.com mentions only default domain policy. I've seen some
stating that the default domain policy overrides OU policies and that the
password policy has to be set in the default domain policy, but the
following article on Microsoft.com,
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/libr...,
states OU policy override domain policy. I'm getting a bit confused. I'm
hoping someone can give me a straight answer to the following question: can
we implement a password policy per company? If the answer is yes, how do we
do it? If the answer is no, I would greatly appreciate an explanation why
not.

Thank you very much.

Regards,
Gaute

More about : password policy

Anonymous
August 26, 2004 1:58:48 PM

Hi Steve.

Thanks for taking time to answer my question. If I understand you correctly,
if the user logs on locally on a computer that is a member of the domain, I
can have different password policies? But as long as the users log on the
domain, the domain level password policy rules?

Regards,
Gaute

"Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net> skrev i melding
> Domain level password policy can not be overridden for "domain users". You
can apply
> it at the OU level however it will apply to only "local users" that logon
to that
> domain computer. --- Steve
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;255550 -- read
this and
> reference to "local accounts".
>
> "Gaute Bekeng" <baldrick4@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi.
> >
> > We are about to implement a new password policy. We have one domain but
we
> > have several companies (OU's) in this domain. What we would like to do
is to
> > implement the password policy company by company. As far as I can see it
is
> > possible to set password policy per OU, however most references to
password
> > policy on Microsoft.com mentions only default domain policy. I've seen
some
> > stating that the default domain policy overrides OU policies and that
the
> > password policy has to be set in the default domain policy, but the
> > following article on Microsoft.com,

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/libr...,
> > states OU policy override domain policy. I'm getting a bit confused. I'm
> > hoping someone can give me a straight answer to the following question:
can
> > we implement a password policy per company? If the answer is yes, how do
we
> > do it? If the answer is no, I would greatly appreciate an explanation
why
> > not.
> >
> > Thank you very much.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Gaute

Anonymous
August 26, 2004 1:58:49 PM

In article <uHtlHK0iEHA.3608@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, in the
microsoft.public.win2000.security news group, Gaute Bekeng <baldrick4
@hotmail.com> says...

> Thanks for taking time to answer my question. If I understand you correctly,
> if the user logs on locally on a computer that is a member of the domain, I
> can have different password policies? But as long as the users log on the
> domain, the domain level password policy rules?

Correct.

--
Paul Adare
rights.