Windows File Protection

After logging into a Win 2000 box I get the following
message

WINDOWS FILE PROTECTION

Files that are required for windoes to run properly have
been replaced by unrecognized versions. To maintain
system stability, Windows must restore the original
versions of these files.

INSERT YOUR WINDOES 2000 PRO CD NOW

---------------------------------------

No matter how many WIN 2000 CDs I try nothing ever
happens. It always says wrong CD. All seems to work fine
once I cancel out the message. The only issue I have with
the machine is Windows Updates not working...
3 answers Last reply
More about windows file protection

    Hi Darrell,

    There are few options to check:

    Non-Administrator User Is Not Prompted for Installation Media by Windows
    File Protection
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;258911&Product=win2000

    Check and make sure that you have these certificates installed on your
    computer:
    Trusted Root Certificates That Are Required By Windows 2000, Windows XP, and
    Windows Server 2003
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293781&Product=win2000

    Also check on your computer if you have correct date set.

    Mike

    "Darrell" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > After logging into a Win 2000 box I get the following
    > message
    >
    > WINDOWS FILE PROTECTION
    >
    > Files that are required for windoes to run properly have
    > been replaced by unrecognized versions. To maintain
    > system stability, Windows must restore the original
    > versions of these files.
    >
    > INSERT YOUR WINDOES 2000 PRO CD NOW
    >
    > ---------------------------------------
    >
    > No matter how many WIN 2000 CDs I try nothing ever
    > happens. It always says wrong CD. All seems to work fine
    > once I cancel out the message. The only issue I have with
    > the machine is Windows Updates not working...

    All of those things check out fine. I had thought of most
    of that already. Any other ideas?

    Hi,

    Check out this.

    *********************
    The System File Checker tool gives an administrator the ability to scan all
    of the protected files to verify their versions. The System File Checker
    tool also checks and repopulates the %SystemRoot%\System32\Dllcache folder.
    If the Dllcache folder becomes damaged or unusable, you can use either the
    sfc /scanonce or sfc /scanboot command to repair the contents of the folder.

    Link to full article:
    Description of the Windows 2000 System File Checker (Sfc.exe)
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;222471

    > All of those things check out fine. I had thought of most
    > of that already. Any other ideas?

Security CD-Rom Microsoft Windows