users in windows 2000

Some programs will only work under administrator authority, without editing
the registry, how can I allow the users (they have an ID) to use programs
without giving them adminstrator privileges? Any help would be appreciated.

Depends on the program. If it requires rights to the registry, you'll have
to make some changes. Have you checked with the software mfrs of these
programs?

cfstech wrote:
> Some programs will only work under administrator authority, without
> editing the registry, how can I allow the users (they have an ID) to
> use programs without giving them adminstrator privileges? Any help
> would be appreciated.

You would have to give those users needed folder/file/registry permissions to
the application. I have pasted a reply on the same subject I gave to another
poster a few days ago of which should be pertinent for you also. --- Steve

It is not a matter of giving users administrator rights but a matter of giving
users
the needed file and registry permissions to run the application. The first thing
try is to lean on the publisher and tell them you need to know what file and
registry
permissions need to be modified in order for a user to run their application.
Another
option may be to configure the computers with compatws.inf security template
which
will give users the same file and registry permissions as power users without
the
extra rights. You could temporally add a user to the power users group to see if
that
would work. However that template will give users excessive permissions
including the
ability to write/delete to the system folder.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;269259
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;816585

Another alternative is to try and roll your own permission changes with the
regmon
and filemon tools from SysInternals. Logon as a regular users and then use runas
invoke first filemon just before you try to run the application. When the
application
hangs check the screen for filemon for entries that show "access denied" . Then
make
permissions changes to that file [or registry entry if using regmon], document
the
change and try again. This can be a tedious process trying to track down the
folders
and registry keys where a user is denied access but often users have success.
Good
luck. --- Steve

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/filemon.shtml