NWN vs DS

Last response: in Video Games
August 12, 2005 10:11:19 AM

I am looking at these two games and trying to decide which I will enjoy
more. Is there really any difference? Why is one better than the other?

More about : nwn

August 12, 2005 10:11:20 AM

Computer Ed wrote:
> I am looking at these two games and trying to decide which I will enjoy
> more. Is there really any difference? Why is one better than the other?

Both games are quality games but with distinctly different styles of
play. Neverwinter Nights is more of a stat-based adventure that makes a
decent attempt at adhering to the Dungeons and Dragons rule set of role
playing. Dungeon Siege makes all of this stuff transparent, and is much
more action-oriented and arcade-like. NWN has a story that slowly
unfolds and an environment that you explore more slowly, but throughly.
In DS you run around and kill a lot of monsters but don't interact
with the world much.

You options for developing your character and how you play the game is
much more developed and varied in NWN - but, along with this, comes a
level of complexity you may not want to deal with. The graphics and
visual aesthetics are better in Dungeon Siege. NWN has better
replayability - along with the thousands of home-brew adventures (many
of which are excellent), the story and character development of the base
game is more complex than DS and is more rewarding with repeat playings.

Personally I found NWN to be a much more rewarding gaming experience,
but it really comes down to what kind of gameplay you'd like. If you
like the action without all the thinking and consideration to stats and
such, go with Dungeon Siege. If you like a slightly slower paced game
with dialogue and character development, go with Neverwinter.

Both games have a demo, why not give each a try and see which you like
better?

Dungeon Siege
http://www.microsoft.com/games/dungeonsiege/8.asp

Neverwinter:
http://nwn.bioware.com/downloads/demo.html
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 10:11:20 AM

"Computer Ed" <computer-ed@crisler.org> looked up from reading the
say:

>I am looking at these two games and trying to decide which I will enjoy
>more. Is there really any difference? Why is one better than the other?

Assuming by DS you mean Dungeon Siege.

They really have different focuses.
DS is very linear, NWN tends to be less so.
DS is one big adventure (the multiplayer map is a second and the
expansion is a third) while NWN has one main adventure (the OC) 2
expansions and literally _hundreds_ of player made campaigns.

There is some player made stuff for DS, but far, far less than for NWN.

If D&D is your thing, NWN is your prescription.
If a semi-automated dungeon romp is your thing, DS is probably more to
your taste (the party is semi-automated, and will attack and cast spells
without you doing anything but moving them into range.)

They both have their moments, but for different reasons.
They're also both older games now, so they should be cheap enough you
could buy both.

Xocyll
August 12, 2005 1:28:36 PM

Xocyll wrote:
> ...NWN has one main adventure (the OC) 2
> expansions and literally _hundreds_ of player made campaigns.

Thousands, actually. Over 4,000 last time I looked, which was six to
eight months ago.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

Computer Ed wrote:
> I am looking at these two games and trying to decide which I will enjoy
> more. Is there really any difference? Why is one better than the other?

The original Dungeon Siege had little story and almost no interaction
with NPCs. There were precious few sidequests and it was strictly a
"dungeon crawl" with automated character advancement. Dungeon Siege 2,
on the other hand, has more story, more NPC interaction, more optional
sidequests, (slightly) less linear gameplay and a skill-based character
advancement system that allows greater customization of characters.

E.g. in DS1, you could have a combat mage. In DS2 you can have a combat
mage specializing in fire or death or lightning magic. In DS1 you could
have a melee fighter that used either weapon+shield or two-handed
weapon. In DS2 you can have a melee fighter that specializes in
weapon+shield or two-handed weapons or dual one-handed weapons. Etc.

Overall, DS1 was an OK game while DS2 is a very good game. Graphically,
both DS games are almost identical and are Wow-inducing. Especially
since the 3D worlds they create are seamless (no "transitions"). They're
a lot prettier than NWN.

NWN, of course, is a fantastic game with a lot of NPC interaction, many
sidequests, (slightly) less linear gameplay than DS2, (slightly) less
combat and tons of customization options for your character. There are
also over 4,000 user-made adventures waiting to be played. Not to
mention the online component, including a simplified form of MMORPG
known as "Persistent Worlds". (And never any fees for playing online.)

If you've played any D&D-based games in the past--especially the
Baldur's Gate series or Planescape Torment, etc. you will probably
prefer NWN to DS, though both are worthy games and should be in your
collection, if you can afford both.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

Xocyll wrote:
>>>...NWN has one main adventure (the OC) 2
>>>expansions and literally _hundreds_ of player made campaigns.
>>
>>Thousands, actually. Over 4,000 last time I looked, which was six to
>>eight months ago.
>
> Yes but, not all of them are _good_.

Granted, but even allowing that only 25% of the modules are at least
halfway decent, that's still more than "hundreds". And, of course, there
are all the modules that are specifically developed for DM-led online
play and never see the light of the Vault.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

Barry Scott Will wrote:

> The original Dungeon Siege had little story and almost no interaction
> with NPCs. There were precious few sidequests and it was strictly a
> "dungeon crawl" with automated character advancement. Dungeon Siege 2,
> on the other hand, has more story, more NPC interaction, more optional
> sidequests, (slightly) less linear gameplay and a skill-based character
> advancement system that allows greater customization of characters.

How about this question: Can I skip to DS2 without playing DS1? From
your description, DS2 sounds better. I've played a demo of DS a long
time ago, and I remember not really loving it. Maybe the second is
better and more involving.
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 4:13:31 AM

Computer Ed wrote:
> I am looking at these two games and trying to decide which I will
> enjoy more. Is there really any difference? Why is one better than
> the other?

Others have already given you the main distinctions between the two. My
advice: download the demos and try them both (or three if you count DS1
and DS2).

NSN: http://nwn.bioware.com/downloads/demo.html
DS1: http://www.microsoft.com/games/dungeonsiege/8.asp
DS2: http://www.microsoft.com/games/dungeonsiege2/downloads....

- W. Citoan
--
Calvin: "Sometimes when I'm talking, my words can't keep up with my
thoughts. I wonder why we think faster than we speak."

Help W. Citoan or anyone who played DS2

I am playing DS2 and I can't get the cure because there is an Archery
target that needs level 6 to hit it. Now me and the Half-Giant are
8th level melee fighters and the Archery girl who I never took on
adventures is only 2nd level so, she can't hit the target. I did most
of the other quests already but, without the cure I can't go out the
South gate and do Dire Wolves quest.

What do I do now its too late to start over and without any quests how
can I get 6 levels in Ranged? Is there a another to get the Cure?
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 5:15:07 PM

John Salerno wrote:
> How about this question: Can I skip to DS2 without playing DS1? From
> your description, DS2 sounds better. I've played a demo of DS a long
> time ago, and I remember not really loving it. Maybe the second is
> better and more involving.

Other than the name and the fact both games use the same basic engine,
there's no connection between DS1 and DS2. I played DS (and DS:LoA) and
never could finish either one because the stories were...lacking. But
I'm having a great time with DS2 because the story--and my
motivation--is much better.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

Drax wrote:
> I am playing DS2 and I can't get the cure because there is an Archery
> target that needs level 6 to hit it.

That's a sanctuary door and it only hides a bit of treasure. That's not
the cure. Keep going deeper into the Elven shrine and you'll eventually
reach the fountain with the cure.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

Drax wrote:
> Help W. Citoan or anyone who played DS2

Er, because I know there are demos and how to find them, doesn't mean
that I own the game. I've tried the demo and decided it's not for me.

You really should post this question in a group where it's on-topic:

alt.games.dungeon-siege
comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg
microsoft.public.games

- W. Citoan
--
The mystery of life is not a problem to be solved, it is a reality to be
experienced.

Barry Scott Will wrote:
> John Salerno wrote:
>
>>How about this question: Can I skip to DS2 without playing DS1? From
>>your description, DS2 sounds better. I've played a demo of DS a long
>>time ago, and I remember not really loving it. Maybe the second is
>>better and more involving.
>

> Other than the name and the fact both games use the same basic engine,
> there's no connection between DS1 and DS2. I played DS (and DS:LoA) and
> never could finish either one because the stories were...lacking. But
> I'm having a great time with DS2 because the story--and my
> motivation--is much better.

I see a release date of Aug. 16. Is it out already?
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 9:50:21 PM

John Salerno wrote:
> I see a release date of Aug. 16. Is it out already?

The demo is 4 chapters from the beginning of the game and worth about 4
to 5 hours of gameplay for one runthrough. I've played through about
three times so far and am looking forward to the retail release next
Tuesday.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

Barry Scott Will wrote:
> John Salerno wrote:
>
>>I see a release date of Aug. 16. Is it out already?
>

> The demo is 4 chapters from the beginning of the game and worth about 4
> to 5 hours of gameplay for one runthrough. I've played through about
> three times so far and am looking forward to the retail release next
> Tuesday.

Ah, I see. Based on a couple of reviews, it seems like a decent game. I
might check it out too. I'd love to here your opinion of it once you
play through it some more next week.
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 12:16:45 AM

Barry Scott Will <nwn_usenet@cavecreations.net> looked up from reading
the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the
signs say:

>>>Thousands, actually. Over 4,000 last time I looked, which was six to
>>>eight months ago.
>>
>> Yes but, not all of them are _good_.
>

>Granted, but even allowing that only 25% of the modules are at least
>halfway decent, that's still more than "hundreds".

You seem to have forgotten that 1000 is 10 hundreds.

Xocyll
August 14, 2005 2:01:26 AM

Drax <Drax@never.com> once tried to test me with:

> Help W. Citoan or anyone who played DS2
>
> I am playing DS2 and I can't get the cure because there is an Archery
> target that needs level 6 to hit it.

You don't need to pass any archery targets. Keep looking around there you
should be able to continue on a different path.

> What do I do now its too late to start over and without any quests how
> can I get 6 levels in Ranged? Is there a another to get the Cure?

Don't start over. :)

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
!