Sign in with
Your question

Who's gonna be the first to recommend a C2D?

Last response: in Systems
February 12, 2007 6:34:10 AM

I'm trying to get a new system together for as little money as possible. Believe me, if I could get a C2D E6600 and a GeForce 8800 I would...but money is a big factor. I wouldn't want to shell out the money for even a E6300 Conroe and have to skimp on the MoBo and get something that's $50. I'd like to spread out the quality over all of the parts as best I can...

I'll probably end up waiting (since I'm not decisive at all) but I wanted to see what people thought about this setup. I put together an Athlon X2 build here. I know...C2D will beat the pants off Athlon...but I'm not looking to build the absolute best right now. Just something that will let me play new games at moderate settings. I don't need max resolution and max settings or anything like that.

Here's the build:

CPU - $119
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+(65W) Windsor 2.0GHz
-It's dual-core...so that's nice. Also it's the EE version so it'll suck less power. And the prices just dropped the other day from $135 to $119.

MoBo - $90
GIGABYTE GA-M55SLI-S4 Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX
-This seemed like the best board for the price. It's not microATX, which is good because I hate micro boards. It has built in Firewire (becomming more and more rare) which I need because I have a Gen 3 iPod. It has SLI capability so just in case I wanted a boost later on I could try that. Oh and it has 2 PATA connections. So I could either hold off on getting a SATA drive now and just keep my current PATA HDD and Optical drives or I could get a SATA HDD and have my 2 Optical drives on seperate channels (for what reason...I dont know).

RAM - $80
CORSAIR XMS2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 675 (PC2 5400)
-This is where I'm a little fuzzy. I know Corsair is a reputable company so that's not the issue...but it's DDR2 675. Is that gonna be a problem at all? If I choose to OC at some point, isn't it better to have lower RAM? As opposed to DDR2 800? Its latency is 4. For DDR2 800 to get that kind of latency the price goes up quite a bit...but it's higher bandwidth. Not sure what's more important. Can anyone help explain what I should be looking at more?

GFX Card - $110 ($90 after MIR)
EVGA 256-P2-N615-TX GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3
-I really wanted a 7900GS, but trying to keep my budget in mind, I went down a notch to the 7600GT. I also kinda wanted an XFX card (I keep hearing really great things) but I couldn't see a huge difference between eVGA and XFX's offerings...besides slight clock differences. So I went with the slightly cheaper eVGA card. Plus, eVGA has that Step-Up program, so it might come in handy in case the new mid-range DX10 cards come out within the 90 days.

HDD - $80
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) ST3250620AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
-I'm still debating if I want to get a SATA HDD now, or just save some more cash now and stick with my current PATA drives for a bit longer. Since the MoBo has 2 PATA connections, I could go either way.

Optical Drives
-I'm gonna keep my current DVDROM and CDRW for now, they work fine, and that's at least $50 total that I'm saving.

Case $ PSU - $60
Antec NSK 4400 Black/Silver 0.8mm cold-rolled steel construction ATX Mini Tower Computer Case 380W PSU
-With the case, I decided that I'm not going with newegg. I just hate the fact that you can get a really good price on a case but then have to pay an extra $15-$20 on shipping. So I found this at my local CompUSA. It's Antec, so that's nice (even though it's probably their cheapest case). I really wanted the Cooler Master Centurion 5, but it's $50 plus $15 for shipping and has no PSU. In terms of the PSU, normally I know that any PSU included with a case is crap, but maybe since it's Antec it might be a decent one? I'm not too sure. I'm hoping that it will be at least sufficient for now. I wouldn't have a problem upgrading the PSU later on if I were to get a better CPU, go SLI, or just upgrade the video card to a GeForce 8000 series. But considering the rest of the setup, would it suffice?

Total - $530 including shipping after MIR
So...besides wanting to tell me to get a C2D...anyone have any thoughts on this setup? I'm open to any suggestions...yes even suggestions to go C2D...although I won't like that very much. :wink:

More about : gonna recommend c2d

February 12, 2007 7:20:57 AM

Don't know about the prices where you are... But you have checked just a plain 939 with an opty 180 / 5, haven't you? DDR is quite a bit cheaper here in AUS.

My 2p.
February 12, 2007 7:21:38 AM

I have a similar new build, which is in my signature. I went the AM2 route because I have high hopes for the upcoming AMD quad core CPUs that will be pin compatible with the AM2 mobo, but just with the older hyper transport.

It's working fine for me. I skimped on the GPU because I want to get an 8600 or R610 card come May. Right now, it's still giving me 3933 in 3D Mark 05, and Oblivion looks much better with HDR.

I skimped with an MSI barebones, but I'm swapping out the power supply soon. I did go value for the RAM, ended up returning some Corsair XMS to Fry's after an impulse buy, as 2 gigs at $249 plus tax was a bit much.

I'd get another one gig stick of DDR2 if I were you. If you can't afford a dual channel kit, then put one stick in at first, like I did. I really think that upcoming games will benefit greatly from 2 gigs of RAM and that's a given for Vista too.

I plan on doing a dual boot with Windows Multimedia Edition 2005 (basically Win XP Pro) and Vista Home Premium once I get a couple of 750 gig Seagates. Then, I'll put the two legacy drives on a Bytec PCIe x1 card that provides 2 SATA and 1 IDE interface.

I don't plan on overclocking my system, so I went DDR2 667 as a compromise between DDR2 533 and 800. For most purposes, even most games, not overclocking is fine. I'm not sure my motherboard is up to it, though it does have the ability.

Heat wise, the new system is great, after playing Oblivion for hours and running 3DMark 05 while I'm on the older PC at Tom's Hardware, it's only at 80F for the CPU and 86F for the system. I only have one 120mm fan blowing out the back, with the stock CPU fan blowing up the heatpipe out the side. When I get a better psu with a better fan, it will be even cooler. So far, I haven't put any fans in the front.

My Northwood runs at 115F on average, maybe a bit lower at boot. I have four fans in that box, plus the CPU and Cooler Master RS-450 fans.

People argue over the psu's all the time. Until I got the Cooler Master RS-450 for my Northwood, I only used stock barebones psus, and they worked okay, but then again, I never had anything faster than a Radeon 9800 Pro until the new 7600GS. I plan on replacing the stock 400 watt Apex with at least a 500watt Cooler Master RS-500, with 33 amps on the 12 volt rails. I also plan on putting two Seagate 750 gig or 1,000 gig hard drives in by the end of 2007.

I don't have the link off hand, but there's a psu calculator that some swear by. Have you tried calculating with that, and have you determined the amps on the Antec's 12 volt rails?

Here's the PSU 101 thread:

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/PSU-101-ftopict...

Quote:
Don't know about the prices where you are... But you have checked just a plain 939 with an opty 180 / 5, haven't you? DDR is quite a bit cheaper here in AUS.

My 2p.

One word, futureproof.

After all, AM2+ quad cores will go into an AM2 board with a bios flash.
Related resources
February 12, 2007 8:30:24 AM

Quote:
no one cares if u want to buy amd buy amd.

I was responding to a comment that he should have gotten an socket 939 Opteron. Both an AM2 motherboard for the Athlon X2 and the LGA 775 motherboards for Core 2 Duo are future proof. They allow for at least one CPU upgrade, whereas older sockets do not.

Both are good choices. AMD is finally getting some competition from Intel, and I expect the same type of leapfrogging as that between Nvidia and ATI in the GPU market.
February 12, 2007 12:36:01 PM

Quote:
no one cares if u want to buy amd buy amd.

Well, considering the last couple of times I posted asking for advice on certain AMD chips...pretty much everyone that posted told me to go C2D. Like I said, I know that C2D is better than anything out right now...but I don't need the best of the best. Beggars can't be choosers. I'm just trying to find a build that will suit me for the next year at least.

I was tempted to go with a 939 Opty chip and MoBo, as Croc suggested, to cut down on costs severely. With that I could get a somewhat decent CPU and MoBo for about $60 each. But as yipsl said, with AM2 I have a better futureproof system. Even with AM2+ and the eventual AM3 (whenever they are coming out) those CPU's will still work on this board, just without the newest speeds and features. So at least I'll have an option to upgrade incrementally. Something I don't have right now since I still have a socket 478 P4 and AGP.

Thanks yipsl for your input. I remember seeing that PSU calculator a couple weeks ago but I can't find the link to it anymore either. I kind of doubt its accuracy but at least it would be something to at least help gauge power requirements. I'll have to see if I can find out the PSU specs.

You have the X2 3800 and a 7600GS, are you running any games on your system? If so, how are they running?
February 12, 2007 12:47:01 PM

I'll be the 1st to recommned a QUAD CORE (QC)
February 12, 2007 12:53:40 PM

Quote:
I'll be the 1st to recommned a QUAD CORE (QC)

8O

:cry: 

You may leave...
February 12, 2007 1:45:49 PM

What u mean I may leave? hehe

if ur building a system on ur own then u have deep pockets.

It's much more efficient on your pockets to buy from a manufacturer who will give u a 3 yr warranty, and when something happens within the 3 yrs u get a free replacement.

i would strongly recommend to most ppl to buy from a pc manuf because when u build your own, your going to have lots of issues unless ur a solid pc tech.

Quad core pc's are now eclipsing Core 2 duo!

sure a qc costs about 1100 and the mobo for it about 170.
February 12, 2007 2:33:54 PM

you could get an C2D E4300 $174

EVGA 7600 for $109 - $89.99 after $20.00 Mail-In Rebate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

ram -$75

CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Desktop Memory - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...

now i have saved you $25, you are now close to an C2d $4300

as for wanting to upgrade to quad core some time .. AMD has yet to show us their quad core but Intel has some on the market

good luck
February 12, 2007 3:26:35 PM

Might I suggest the following:

Quote:

$125 Intel Pentium D 925 Presler 3.0GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80553925 - Retail

Quote:

$120 GIGABYTE GA-965P-S3 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Quote:

$76 CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Desktop Memory Model VS1GBKIT667D2 - Retail

I think this will give you more room to upgrade in the future to the C2D that everyone loves and keep close to your budget. Comes in around $560 if you have to pay shipping. If you use Paypal at Newwgg you get free shipping up to $25.

Mike
February 12, 2007 11:07:22 PM

Quote:

Thanks yipsl for your input. I remember seeing that PSU calculator a couple weeks ago but I can't find the link to it anymore either. I kind of doubt its accuracy but at least it would be something to at least help gauge power requirements. I'll have to see if I can find out the PSU specs.

You have the X2 3800 and a 7600GS, are you running any games on your system? If so, how are they running?

I played Oblivion for hours last night after my kid went to bed and it was great. HDR is fantastic and the 12 pixel shader 7600GS is better than the Radeon 9800 Pro on my old PC. Since I didn't have the latest Nvidia drivers installed, Oblivion didn't recognize the GPU and defaulted to medium settings equal to the 9800 Pro, but I tweaked the settings manually (not hard to do in the video menu) and got the best performance the card can handle.

When I get home tonight, I'll switch PC's (the last torrents just finished this afternoon), and hook the X2 3800+ up to the broadband. I'll also download FRAPS and check out the framerate I'm getting, but it's much smoother than the 2.8 Northwood/Radeon 9800 Pro setup, so it's not just HDR that's a bonus. Oblivion runs about 15% faster on a dual core and I'm sure other recent games do too.

I would not get a Pressler. People keep saying that all across the threads I've read: 'if you can't afford C2D, then go Pressler or Smithfield'. Thermal specs are an issue with home system builds and it's better to go with the cooler CPU, plus, an X2 might be slightly slower than a C2D, but it's faster than a 900 series Pressler at every price point.

I firmly believe that when K8L arrives, then C2D will have a run for its money, and so will the Intel quad cores. So, both AMD and Intel will have viable upgrades to quad core by mid 2008. Why settle for an inferior CPU like a Smithfield or Pressler when the AM2 is not a dead end and the CPUs are still quite good?

As for warranties, I've never known a CPU to fail without the person doing something wrong with the mobo, or overclocking. Once, when I forgot to unplug the power cord, my then 4 year old snuck up on me as I was attaching a molex power connector to a new hard drive and turned on the power. Well, the motherboard, RAM and Celeron fried, the motherboard actually caught fire for a few seconds when one of the onboard chips burned. It was his PC, and since he didn't get a new one until this year, I think he learned his lesson (he's 6 now, and I never open up a PC while he's awake -- he wants to learn how to build PCs and I told him when he's 12 I'll start teaching him.)

So, go Athlon X2 or C2D, whatever you want, but I really advise anyone to not go 800 series Smithfield or 900 series Pressler. Unless one lives in Alaska and needs a new space heater, the trouble the extra heat brings is not worth it, plus the stock performance is bad and the electric bills are just a bit higher. This isn't a fanboy comment, as I like the Core 2 Duos and went Athlon X2 3800+ with a barebones for budget reasons. This is from the standpoint of getting the best low budget PC for the money, and a circa $100 X2 3800+ beats a $75 805 anyday.

As for building vs. buying a mainstream PC that has all sorts of corporate trials and an inferior onboard GPU, I enjoy building PCs and no gamer should buy anything other than an Alienware or Voodoo for gaming. Since most of us don't have that kind of money, we build our own and get a better system configuration for the price of a typical mainstream Dell, Lenovo or HP. Some people overclock for fun, others build for fun. Some do both. Me, I just build, I don't like overclocking issues.

I'm sure the PSU thread links to the power supply tester site. I'm at work now, on break, and I don't have it bookmarked here. Now it's time to get back to the mainframe.
February 12, 2007 11:32:42 PM

Quote:
What u mean I may leave? hehe

if ur building a system on ur own then u have deep pockets.

It's much more efficient on your pockets to buy from a manufacturer who will give u a 3 yr warranty, and when something happens within the 3 yrs u get a free replacement.

i would strongly recommend to most ppl to buy from a pc manuf because when u build your own, your going to have lots of issues unless ur a solid pc tech.

Quad core pc's are now eclipsing Core 2 duo!

sure a qc costs about 1100 and the mobo for it about 170.

What are you talking about? My father got a 17% off dell pc's deal through his work and i priced out a system on my own and a dell one and mine was like $900 and theirs was like $1200 after the 17% off...

Plus theirs would have come with a crappy PSU and would have not been as customized to my needs.

And about your PC tech thing... I am far from a PC tech but have been able to quickly solve any issues that I've had.

I just hope your posts are joking, cause if not then you're giving very poor advice.
February 12, 2007 11:44:29 PM

Here ya go......

$160.00 includes a mother board for the combo deal

get your hard drive at best buy, comp usa or circuit city....after rebate they are much cheaper. like the one below. $50.00 after rebate.

http://compusa.shoplocal.com/compusa/default.aspx?actio...

here is an nice antec case with a power supply at compusa. $60.00 after rebate.

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=ca...

Stick with the memory you picked. $80.00

Get this kick butt card...........

$176.00 and the total after rebate is .....

$520.00 approx or get the same card you wanted and save $80.00
February 13, 2007 3:54:29 AM

Quote:
-- he wants to learn how to build PCs and I told him when he's 12 I'll start teaching him.)

Oh man, that's awesome. Before it was always "when you're old enough, I'll teach you how to fish." And then... "when you're old enough I'll teach you how to fix cars."

And now..."when you're old enough, I'll show you how to overclock a CPU with watercooling" LOL

How times have changed.

Anyway, if you could find out your FPS in Oblivion that would be great. Also, what settings is it running? Since Oblivion is such an intensive game because of the graphics, that would probably be a decent frame of reference for a system that is comparable to yours.

Thanks again.
February 13, 2007 3:59:35 AM

With that budget i would recommend pent D 805, then you can upgrade to C2D when u got the money and resell the pent D. I saw a great built with a low budget pent D the other week. I'll try to find it.
February 13, 2007 4:09:02 AM

Quote:
Here ya go......
$160.00 includes a mother board for the combo deal

I was actually looking at that combo for a bit. Good price for the newer 65nm X2. And I would have gotten that chip if I didn't HAVE to buy it as a combo. None of those MoBo's do it for me. They don't have 2 PATA slots and none of them have 1394. Granted, I could just get a SATA HDD (which I might anyway) and a 1394 add-in PCI card, but I would prefer to have those on the MoBo to begin with. Maybe I'm being picky. Plus, since the chip is OEM, I'd still have to shell out another $30 or so for a decent cooler, and at that point I'm paying almost the same as I would for the CPU and MoBo that I listed already.

I'm still thinking about it though.

Quote:
get your hard drive at best buy, comp usa or circuit city....after rebate they are much cheaper. like the one below. $50.00 after rebate.

No offense, but I won't touch another Maxtor ever again. I've made the mistake of buying 3 (in a row) and each one has either died to started acting up (clicking, errors, etc). So I'm gonna go with either WD or Seagate.

Quote:
here is an nice antec case with a power supply at compusa. $60.00 after rebate.

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=ca...
339399&Pn=ATX_Black_Silver_MiniTower_Case_with_380W_Power_Supply

That's the exact case I had picked out. :D 

Quote:
Get this kick butt card...........

$176.00 and the total after rebate is .....

$520.00 approx or get the same card you wanted and save $80.00

The 1950's are pretty appealing. I'll have to look at some benchmarks to see if the higher price would be worth it.

Thanks for the input. Gonna stew on this a bit.
February 13, 2007 4:41:29 PM

OK...IF I was gonna go C2D...can anyone suggest as cheap a MoBo that's possible that is still decent enough? Preferably with Firewire and 2 PATA slots (but it's not an absolute requirement I guess). Something that might allow a certain degree of overclocking (if I wanted to OC at some point) but most importantly something that I can keep if I wanted to upgrade to a newer CPU in a year or so?

I don't want an ECS MoBo...if that helps.

Thanks.
February 13, 2007 7:12:10 PM

nVidia Chipset:

JetWay 775GT1-LOGE LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI for $97 + shipping. This mobo has the two things you are looking for, Firewire and 2 PATA connectors. But I don't know which brand is worse, ECS or Jetway.

ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX, but it has a price tag of $140 + shipping. This mobo has what you are looking for, two PATA connectors and Firewire. But it also has a bigger price tag than you are will dish out for.

Intel Chipsets:

Foxconn P9657AA-8EKRS2H LGA 775 Intel P965 Express for $108 + shipping. This only has one PATA connector and there are no user reviews of it.

ABIT AW8D LGA 775 Intel 975X ATX for $110 + shipping. This is probably your best bet.

There are cheaper motherboards for the Core 2 Duo, but not if you are looking for two PATA connectors and Firewire.

A good mobo for overclocking is the GIGABYTE GA-965P-S3 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express, but it only has one PATA connector, no firewire and it costs $115 + shipping.

If you really want a bargain basement mobo, then you'll have to settle for mobos based on the older P945 chipset which do not overclock very well if at all. They will most likely not be compatible with the next generation of Core 2 Duo CPUs when Intel shrinks the die size down to 45nm. Hell, it may not even be compatible with the current generation of P965 and 975x chipsets since it may need a newer voltage regulator to provide the lower voltages the "new and smaller" CPU will need.

Face the fact that Firewire and 2 PATA connectors are considered premium options for a Core 2 Duo motherboard.
February 13, 2007 9:11:50 PM

Quote:
Face the fact that Firewire and 2 PATA connectors are considered premium options for a Core 2 Duo motherboard.

That's the thing that turns me off from C2D. I can find tons of great priced AM2 MoBo's that have 2 PATA and Firewire AND are SLI capable.

And I wouldn't touch Jetway anymore than I would an ECS MoBO.

Thanks for the input though. I saw that ASUS P5N-E SLI board and liked that one the best, but at $140 plus the higher price for the C2D chip itself, it seems unlikely I'll be able to go that route.

I'll try to find some C2D MoBo's that don't have Firewire/2 PATA...hopefully there is something that is still decent without those features and is still under $100. I'll look into a really cheap SATA HDD (for the time being) and getting a Firewire add-in PCI card. Those shouldn't be more than $10 or so. Although I would still prefer it to have built in Firewire...I'll get over it.

Thanks again.
February 14, 2007 1:19:40 AM

Hey FEATHER HEAD:

maybe u got lukky and never had any bad parts or bad electrical problems

sometimes u get lukky. sometimes u dont.

Hope u purchased a UPS, to help ur keep ur luck going strong.
February 14, 2007 1:50:20 AM

Quote:
I'm trying to get a new system together for as little money as possible. Believe me, if I could get a C2D E6600 and a GeForce 8800 I would...but money is a big factor. I wouldn't want to shell out the money for even a E6300 Conroe and have to skimp on the MoBo and get something that's $50. I'd like to spread out the quality over all of the parts as best I can...

I'll probably end up waiting (since I'm not decisive at all) but I wanted to see what people thought about this setup. I put together an Athlon X2 build here. I know...C2D will beat the pants off Athlon...but I'm not looking to build the absolute best right now. Just something that will let me play new games at moderate settings. I don't need max resolution and max settings or anything like that.

Here's the build:

CPU - $119
-It's dual-core...so that's nice. Also it's the EE version so it'll suck less power. And the prices just dropped the other day from $135 to $119.

MoBo - $90
-This seemed like the best board for the price. It's not microATX, which is good because I hate micro boards. It has built in Firewire (becomming more and more rare) which I need because I have a Gen 3 iPod. It has SLI capability so just in case I wanted a boost later on I could try that. Oh and it has 2 PATA connections. So I could either hold off on getting a SATA drive now and just keep my current PATA HDD and Optical drives or I could get a SATA HDD and have my 2 Optical drives on seperate channels (for what reason...I dont know).

RAM - $80
-This is where I'm a little fuzzy. I know Corsair is a reputable company so that's not the issue...but it's DDR2 675. Is that gonna be a problem at all? If I choose to OC at some point, isn't it better to have lower RAM? As opposed to DDR2 800? Its latency is 4. For DDR2 800 to get that kind of latency the price goes up quite a bit...but it's higher bandwidth. Not sure what's more important. Can anyone help explain what I should be looking at more?

GFX Card - $110 ($90 after MIR)
EVGA 256-P2-N615-TX GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3
-I really wanted a 7900GS, but trying to keep my budget in mind, I went down a notch to the 7600GT. I also kinda wanted an XFX card (I keep hearing really great things) but I couldn't see a huge difference between eVGA and XFX's offerings...besides slight clock differences. So I went with the slightly cheaper eVGA card. Plus, eVGA has that Step-Up program, so it might come in handy in case the new mid-range DX10 cards come out within the 90 days.

HDD - $80
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) ST3250620AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
-I'm still debating if I want to get a SATA HDD now, or just save some more cash now and stick with my current PATA drives for a bit longer. Since the MoBo has 2 PATA connections, I could go either way.

Optical Drives
-I'm gonna keep my current DVDROM and CDRW for now, they work fine, and that's at least $50 total that I'm saving.

Case $ PSU - $60
Antec NSK 4400 Black/Silver 0.8mm cold-rolled steel construction ATX Mini Tower Computer Case 380W PSU
-With the case, I decided that I'm not going with newegg. I just hate the fact that you can get a really good price on a case but then have to pay an extra $15-$20 on shipping. So I found this at my local CompUSA. It's Antec, so that's nice (even though it's probably their cheapest case). I really wanted the Cooler Master Centurion 5, but it's $50 plus $15 for shipping and has no PSU. In terms of the PSU, normally I know that any PSU included with a case is crap, but maybe since it's Antec it might be a decent one? I'm not too sure. I'm hoping that it will be at least sufficient for now. I wouldn't have a problem upgrading the PSU later on if I were to get a better CPU, go SLI, or just upgrade the video card to a GeForce 8000 series. But considering the rest of the setup, would it suffice?

Total - $530 including shipping after MIR
So...besides wanting to tell me to get a C2D...anyone have any thoughts on this setup? I'm open to any suggestions...yes even suggestions to go C2D...although I won't like that very much. :wink:

A totally rational set of choices.

I guess my question is "when"

Not to flog a Core2duo on you, but Intel is going to be relasing 1333 FSB parts very soon, which will drive everything down a peg on the food chain.

The E4300, which performs almost exaclt halfway between the x2 4200+ and the x2 4600+ is reported to be a $100ish part in April.

Now you may wish to buy AMD, which is just fine with me, but I suspect AMD will also do a pretty good drop on their prices then too.

I hate to buy anything when I just know a big price drop is just weeks away.

I'd be inclined to try to get to DDR800 if I could. AMD cpus are far more sensitive to RAM than the Intels are - the performace delta on an Intel from DDR@-533 to DDR@-800 is about 5%, while its about 17% or so on the AMDs due to AMDs integrated memory controller.

Also, DDR800 is really useful if you do manage to find a chip that overclocks well and want to push it a bit.

In the "real" world an ATA drives works just as well as a SATA, if they are the same vintage.- Harddrive performance is vastly more a function of platter density than it is anything else (assuming similar rotatioin speeds) so a CURRENT ATA will perform very similar to a CURRENT SATA.

What is your current harddrive?
February 14, 2007 2:00:01 AM

ahem, please allow me to send sideline the message

You're on a hardware forum, if your not going to help people or you're just trolling around then GTFO.

"Luck" is a much smaller factor than skill and problem-solving when it comes to building a PC.

I've had bad parts and a PSU that blew on me, yet my PC is still running strong, can't say the same about all retail PCs. I started out as a complete noob, I learned from my mistakes, now I try to help others.

Don't give us your BS :arrow:
February 14, 2007 2:05:37 AM

hey flamer, i've been on tomshardware since u started elementary school.

flaming people are gonna have to learn if they take a poke at me, then i am gonna poke back.

why cant we all just get along

u failed to read my other 60 posts in which i have helped ppl
February 14, 2007 2:22:56 AM

not to go against other recommendations, but, for someone who is very budget conscious, and still wants decent performance, doesnt run hot, or cost a lot, his component choices for amd i believe are better suited...

an inexpensive dual core, inexpensive MB (that already contains most of what he would need), decent priced memory (unless his existing memory is compatible), decent brand psu (unless the one he has is sufficient as far as amperages and connections), budget mid ATX tower (unless he uses his existing tower), and whichever pci-e gpu hes looking for within his budget

he already has a hdd, so unless he has money to spare on a replacement, his existing hdd should work just fine, and thatll take off about $100 or so right there

for MBs, you could even go matx, as they oftentimes include an integrated gpu, and when you get enough money together again, you can get a decent gpu to add on later
February 14, 2007 2:41:28 AM

"PC_Side_Line

journeyman

Sorry but it's been a whole lot more than a week since I started elementary school. :lol: 

You were acting like a troll, advising a quad core pc, then actually defending that obviously poor decision, then attacking someone who justifiably refuted your claim and telling him that he was just "lucky".

Also if a person wants to build their own computer, It's best to support them, It's a great learning experience, buying a retail pc kinda defeats the point of the General Homebuilt forum.

I apologize if I got the wrong impression of you, I hope that we can get along. If you want to make a joke, go for it, don't intentionally try to mislead someone. That's all. Peace? :wink:
February 14, 2007 3:22:01 AM

Quote:
u failed to read my other 60 posts in which i have helped ppl

Wow I envy you a whole 60 posts!! And now you have 71! You are nuts man, NUTS! (cashews in fact)
February 14, 2007 4:29:48 AM

My intention (to save as much money as possible) was to use my current HDD and Optical drives. A DVDROM and a CD-RW drive that work just fine, so no real need to get new ones (although I will at some point).

In terms of the HDD, I was debating more on what to do. I'd like a shiny new SATA drive, and those Seagate Perpendicular Recording drives are appealing, but again, that's something that I can get a month or two down the line. The only reason I'm debating is because I'm currently using a cheapo Maxtor drive, and the last 2 Maxtors I've had either died or started acting up. Personally, I'm not putting any money on this drive lasting much longer. (Thankfully, I make regular backups of my files in case the worst happens).

So if I stick with my current drive, that's about another $80-$100 I can save at the moment, as choirbass and Vorlan suggested.

From what I keep reading, prices might be dropping even more than they have already in the next couple months, so I can feasibly wait a bit longer. Assuming my system doesn't implode in the meantime. I worked as a PC tech until a couple years ago so I can fix most problems, but this thing is way past the expiration date. There's only so much I can do. And I've been way outta the loop these past 2 years in terms of all the new hardware, hence all of my questions.

Oh, and PC_Side_Line, I'm not really sure what you're trying to do. Is Intel paying you? In just about every post I've read of yours, you are shoving either Core 2 or Quad Core down people's throats, even when they state what their budget is or that they are not interested. And I would never buy a pre-built system (ie. Dell, HP, etc) and I doubt that there are many people that would on these forums, seeing as how this is the "General Homebuilt" forum. You say that if you are building your own PC then you must have deep-pockets. Incorrect. Sure, if you wanna build a quad core like you keep telling people to do. But the point of building your own system is to save money, while building something that still performs for what you need.

If you are truly trying to help people, then don't take this the wrong way. But if not, just stop.
February 14, 2007 6:46:00 AM

If you are waiting for the E4300 to drop from the current $175 to the expected $113, then you'll have to await until about April 22nd.

On the bright side, motherboard prices should drop a little by then as well. In fact the GIGABYTE GA-965P-S3 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express has just dropped from $115 to $110. Not bad since it has only been a few hours. I'm sure the ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX will drop in price a bit if you decide to put off your build unitl the E4300 drops to $113.

Of course prices for AMD CPU should be dropping too, but I'm not following AMD prices at the moment.
!