Sign in with
Your question

Dreaming? Here's a build using every PCI Slot.

Last response: in Systems
February 12, 2007 7:41:28 AM

Dreaming? Here's a build using every PCI Slot. Almost perfect.

Operating System
Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 32 or 64bit FULL VERSION

PC Case
ThermalTake Armor LCS or Thermaltake Kandalf LCS,

Motherboard
EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU
Intel® Core™ 2 Extreme processor QX6700, quad 2.66GHz cores, 8MB L2 Cache

Power Supply
ENERMAX GALAXY EGA1000EWL-DXX ATX / BTX 1000W Gamers Edition Modular Power Supply

Priority Hard Drives in Raid 0
Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive

Secondary Hard Drive
750GB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm SATA/150/300, 16MB Cache

3 PCI Express x16 slots
1. BFG Tech GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB Water Cooled PCI Express graphics card
2. BFG Tech GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB Water Cooled PCI Express graphics card
3. Physics Processor 128mb Asus® AGEIA™ PhysX™ Processor Ghost Recon Edition

2 PCI Express x1 slots
1. 3ware 9650SE-2LP PCI Express x1 SATA II Controller Card - Retail $249.99 will be Microsoft Vista Capable soon
2.The Vista View Saber 2020 TV Tuner PCI Express X1 Microsoft Vista Capable soon $159.99

2 PCI Slots
1. Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series sound card
2. Bigfoot Networks Killer NIC M1 10/100/1000Mbps PCI Network Adapter with a 400 MHz Network Processing Unit (NPU) 1 x RJ-45, 1 x USB2.0

Memory (4 slots)
CORSAIR Dominator XMS2-10000 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 Dominator Series Memory with DHX technology
CORSAIR Dominator XMS2-10000 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 Dominator Series Memory with DHX technology

Corsair's TurboFlash USB 2.0 CMFUSBTV2.0-1GB For Windows Ready Boost

Optical Drives
LG GGW-H10N Super Multi Blue drive is compatible with Blu-ray Disc, DVD, CD read/write and HD-DVD-ROM (read), SATA drive

LITE-ON LH-20A1S Black Super AllWrite drive 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 18X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache support for Serial ATA Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write, LightScribe Technology

LITE-ON
Black 52X CD-R 32X CD-RW 52X CD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 1.5MB Cache SATA Combo Drive

Floppy/Media Drive
Koutech IO-FPM220 3.5" Floppy Drive & Multi Card Reader

Essential Software
Adobe CS2, Quicken, Quicktime Pro, Microsoft Office 2007, Registry Mechanic, Webroot Spy Sweeper, Webroot Clean Sweep, WINRAR

Essential Hardware & Peripherals
Internal Cables Rounded Silver Braided IDE and Floppy Cables
Keyboard Logitech® Cordless Desktop MX™ 3000 Laser -Keyboard & Mouse
BenQ FP241W Black 24" 1920 x 1200 resolution, 16ms (6ms GTG) DVI Widescreen HDMI LCD Monitor Microsoft Vista Capable
Creative GigaWorks S750 700 Watts 7.1 Speaker
Microtek ScanMaker i800 Pro Design with DIGITAL ICE Flatbed Scanner
Canon Pixma Pro9500 Large Format Printer With 10 full-time color pigment inks
Canon Digital Rebel XTi 10.1 MP camera with 2.5-inch LCD monitor
February 12, 2007 8:26:20 AM

"Here's a build using everything I could find on Newegg for as much as possible totally disregarding any common sense whatsoever"
February 12, 2007 8:41:30 AM

Why would you say that? You make no sense at all in your post. This is actually a build I'm contemplating on doing a little at a time. My only hold up is making a final decision on the PC Case and cooling. I considered going with the Lian Li PC-V1100plusII/PC-V1100BplusII, or the COOLER MASTER Mystique RC-632-KWN1-GP with a Coolit Systems Freezone CPU cooler, but then I'd still have to water cool the GPU cards.

By the way, Newegg doesn't carry everyone of these components.
Related resources
February 12, 2007 10:58:12 AM

I wouldnt go for the Armour LCS, just get the regular Armour with 25CM side fan and add a proper water loop.

You wont be cooling 2 8800GTXs and a QX6700 on the inbuilt pump and rad on the Armour LCS anyway.
February 12, 2007 11:05:01 AM

Quote:
About RAM: It's MUCH better to have 2 x 2Gb than 4 x 1 Gb. Performance can be improved by lower latency times. If you're building from scratch, it's wiser to buy 2 x 2Gb than 4 x 1 Gb.

My current rig has 4 x 512 Mb, but it's a bit faster when only 2 x 512 are installed. Ideal would be 2 x 1 Gb for me.

I disagree. 2GB sticks are stupidly overpriced, and extremely slow.

There are very few DDR2-533 2GB sticks about at all, and those that exist have latencies of 4-4-4-20 or worse, (equivalent to 8-8-8-40 at DDR2-1066 speeds) and run around £400 ($800) or more EACH.

Most 2GB sticks are DDR2-400

There should be little to no difference between performance with 2 DIMMs or 4 DIMMs. Yes 2*1GB is preferable to 4*512MB, but assumming you use a 1T command rate with both (which all P965, 975X, and nf680i boards have no troubles with) then the performance difference will be within the margin of test error, 1-2% max. Memory timings should not be affected, the RAM should still be able to run at its quoted latencies. There MAY be some slight difference in the max RAM overclock, but with a QX6700 he is not relying on massive FSB speeds due to a low multiplier that require dilly memory to reach 1:1

Indeed, with 3*1GB in dual channel Async, I hit the same in 3Dmark06 as with 2*1GB in dual channel interleaved. Sisoft Sandra can show me some reduction in memory bandwidth (as I'm not running in true dual channel mode with an odd number of DIMMS) but with 4 DIMMs I'd be loosing nothing over 2 DIMMs, and the difference is not noticeable in terms of game FPS anyway.
February 12, 2007 11:23:05 AM

You say "almost perfect", I say "overkill". Looks like you had fun researching the most expensive and pretentious hardware you could find.

The Killer NIC, physics card, and SATAII cards are pointless. Especially the SATA card, since you've got onboard SATA ports and you're not doing RAID1, RAID0+1, or RAID5. I noticed no anti-virus in your "Essential Software" list. You've got 3 ROMs, for what? I question the BenQ LCD and wonder why you don't go with something more "gamer" and with a better response time. You'd be better off replacing the microtek scanner and the Canon printer with a 3 in 1 device like the Canon MP500. And, a 10MP camera, what's that about?!

It's your money and you are free to waste it anyway you want.
February 12, 2007 11:37:08 AM

Worst, most expensive system ever.
February 12, 2007 11:49:10 AM

and getting a single drop of any liquid on any parts inside ur pc, invites disaster, unless u have deep pockets :) 
February 12, 2007 12:46:44 PM

You're only forgetting one little detail: those 2 8800gtx's cooling fans will take up neighbouring slots, so you will actually only have one available PCI and one available PCI-E x1...
February 12, 2007 1:03:10 PM

Quote:
You're only forgetting one little detail: those 2 8800gtx's cooling fans will take up neighbouring slots, so you will actually only have one available PCI and one available PCI-E x1...

Excellent observation! ZING!!!!!!!!!!!
February 12, 2007 1:05:37 PM

Quote:
About RAM: It's MUCH better to have 2 x 2Gb than 4 x 1 Gb. Performance can be improved by lower latency times. If you're building from scratch, it's wiser to buy 2 x 2Gb than 4 x 1 Gb.

My current rig has 4 x 512 Mb, but it's a bit faster when only 2 x 512 are installed. Ideal would be 2 x 1 Gb for me.

Actually Intel claims better performance with C2D using 4 smaller sticks over 2 larger sticks.
That sounds intriguing. Can you provide more information regarding this or a link or something. I´m really interested in reading about that. :D 
February 12, 2007 2:42:59 PM

Obviously there is no argument there are aspects of this "proposed system" that are ill-conceived. However he did list his 8800GTXs as BFG watercooled cards which are single slot solutions. He may be able to still use those adjacent slots.

Doesn't cover the fact some of that astronomical amount of $ could be spent better elsewhere than some of the choices he made.
February 12, 2007 3:10:50 PM

A SATA II controller card does all the RAID calculations right on the card, getting rid of the calculations on the chipset. A dedicated RAID card often gives more performance benefit, by introducing a dedicated component. They also often offer RAID features, such as migrating the array to another computer, that normal chipset-level RAID controllers do not, should the user decide to upgrade to a RAID level with parity.

This concept does not apply to the PhysX card, however. That, at this point in time, is a waste of money. I'd get a Killer Network card before I'd get a PhysX card. That card has actually been "proven" to reduce network latency on the user's side of the Internet. If the server is lagging, there's not much that can be done on your end, but in normal usage it did tend to improve performance somewhat in games like WoW. Not saying it's worth the cash, but seems to have more potential than the PhysX card. Besides, even if it doesn't improve network performance, it will remove some calculations from the CPU, which will help performance somewhat.

Overall.............uh.............hmmm............ok, not going to sugarcoat this. Why the hell would you spend this much money on a computer? I mean, really, would you actually use any of the power or peripherals you're plunking down huge bucks for? I mean, really??!! Come on, send your kid to college or do something constructive!
February 13, 2007 2:31:09 PM

Quote:
A SATA II controller card does all the RAID calculations right on the card, getting rid of the calculations on the chipset. A dedicated RAID card often gives more performance benefit, by introducing a dedicated component. They also often offer RAID features, such as migrating the array to another computer, that normal chipset-level RAID controllers do not, should the user decide to upgrade to a RAID level

Overall.............uh.............hmmm............ok, not going to sugarcoat this. Why the hell would you spend this much money on a computer? I mean, really, would you actually use any of the power or peripherals you're plunking down huge bucks for? I mean, really??!! Come on, send your kid to college or do something constructive!

I think it's funny how so many ill-informed people dismiss things like the Killer NIC or the Controller card. Your the first one to get it.

Several people missed that the G80 cards are water cooled freeing up two PCI slots. And I've had water cooling in my set up for years without a problem. It's just a pain to refill an Aquagate.

The PhysX card everyone hates. But I subscribe to a few PC Mags and I keep reading that PhysX is coming. I'd probably skip the current PhysX card out now but I want the option open. Ageia knows of the problems and are working on them.

Why the Benq monitor? because it supports 1920 x 1200 HD resolution and has an HDMI input. Although I have considered the new 24" Gateway monitor. It doesn't have the HDMI cable connection but it's still got the standard high resolution I want.

The Printer? Well I have the Canon i9900 and it prints incredible 13/19 poster images.
I work heavy in Photoshop. But the new Canon Pro9500 printer in my list prints with two additional inks and on more paper formats. All-in one printers don't come close to it or the scanner.
I have a Microtek Scanmaker v6USL now, I like it because it also scan legal size documents. But the new one offers Vista Drivers and higher resolution.

I don't have kids. And didn't I mention that this would be a long term build? For sure I want Microsoft Windows Vista 64 bit Ultimate, a QX6700 quad core processor, two GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB in SLI unless the R600 turns out to be better and two Western Digital Raptor 150GB 10,000 RPM hard drives in raid 0.

I expect to see new and better sound cards around the corner to fully support Vista and there isn't very many 2GB sticks of Ram out right now, so because of Vista I think that will change as well. I'm thinking I can get by with 2GB of the faster or fastest Ram to start and one G80 card, then next year I can add to the build.

My P4 system with the AGP card is pretty much beyond updating.
February 13, 2007 8:19:58 PM

It seems foolish to have 2 SDTV tuners. Perhaps 2 HDTV tuners would be better.

It seems foolish to have the disk drives you selected. Certainly not enough space for saving HDTV (9GB/hr).

It seems foolish to get a photo printer. I can get high quality photo prints by uploading my files to Walgreen's website and then driving 2 miles to the Walgreen store. I can always wait until I have to go shopping in that direction.

I guess the rest of the machine is foolish also.
February 13, 2007 8:59:17 PM

At least get a 30" monitor... It would be such a shame to waste all that power on a 24"
February 13, 2007 9:00:51 PM

Did anybody else notice that he listed the watercooled 8800s, but didn't mention any of the other watercooling hardware? Like something to push the water, something to carry the water, something to cool the water, and something to hold the water?
February 13, 2007 9:17:01 PM

Drop the SATA controller, the NIC, and the Physx card. Physx probably isn't coming, and doesn't make much of a difference now. The Killer NIC card doesn't work right, and even if it did we're talking about <5ms difference. If you are doing a LOT of connections you would want a dedicated NIC with a co-processor, like the ones targeted at database servers, but your home router won't support enough connections for this to be a concern for you. The SATA controller in a 1x PCIe slot will likely be SLOWER then the one in the chipset. If you really want a good SATA controller get rid of the physx card and put a 4x PCIe SAS controller in that slot instead but with only 3 drives it's really not necessary. However, with all the money you saved by dumping the Killer NIC and the Physx card you could get a few more disks and make the controller worth it (like two seperate raid-0 arrays for load ballancing high-performance apps and a raid5 array for zippy storage with some redundancy).

Oh, and the latest 74g raptors are the fastest. They use a single platter with the most updated hardware and firmware.

Hey, if you wanna blow a bunch of cash on a 'puter that's cool but a really nice HD array vs. a mediocre HD array is going to make a much bigger difference for you then those other two crappy cards.
February 14, 2007 11:33:53 PM

Quote:
If you really want a good SATA controller get rid of the physx card and put a 4x PCIe SAS controller in that slot instead but with only 3 drives it's really not necessary.

I kind of like Adaptec's 4805SAS.

Of course, if you're trying to fill every last slot on your motherboard, you could pick one with fewer slots to begin with. Say Abit's IN9 32X-MAX which has:

2 x PCI-Ex16, 1 x PCI-Ex16(X8 electrical), 1 x PCI-Ex1, 2 x PCI

So, the two water-cooled video cards and the SAS HBA take up the PCI-Ex16 slots, a sound card and TV-tuner will occupy the PCI slots and you can fill the remaining PCI-Ex1 slot with for example a FireWire card from Belkin.

The Abit motherboard does have IEEE 1394a built in, the Belkin card provides 1394b. Not sure how useful this is; FireWire 800 devices seem to be rare ...
February 15, 2007 3:10:01 AM

Do you have a house, car and food on the table? Or do you just have a high paying job?
February 15, 2007 3:20:30 PM

Quote:
Do you have a house, car and food on the table? Or do you just have a high paying job?

Well, the title of the thread does say "Dreaming" and it is fun to drool over the stuff on Newegg (even if they don't ship to Canada <*sigh*>).

I do understand the original poster's obsession with using up every last slot available. It's the same sort of desire to reach for the limits of one's hardware that has so many people overclocking :) 
!