Bypass Login prompt

I have been given a laptop to reconfigure for a new user. When the computer
is booted (Win2000) it momentarily shows the login window, grayed out, with
the previous users username and it automatically logs him in. I can log out
and sign on as another user, but have been unable to find how to keep it from
bypassing the logon prompt during the boot sequence.

How do I disable this automatic login on Windows 2000?

I've looked through Local Policies, tried assigning a password (it was
blank), .....

In the Registry Editor, go to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon. Change the value of "AutoAdminLogon" from "1"
to "0", and reboot the machine.

All usual caveats regarding the dangers of registry editing apply.

--
Laura E. Hunter - MCSE, MCT, MVP