Sign in with
Your question

Stressing. Finally ready to order. Input please! =)

Last response: in Systems
February 12, 2007 9:06:57 AM

Here we have it. After much stressing, research, and bothering others, this is what I've come up with for my build. Please let me know what you think. If you see anything... and I meant ANYTHING wrong with the items I've chose, please let me know. I've lost a lot of sleep staying up late reviewing items over and over. I'm ready to get this done.

Motherboard
ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

Processor
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe

Power Supply
OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI ATX12V 600W Power Supply

RAM
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Monitor
SCEPTRE X20WC-Gamer Black 20.1" 5ms

Video Card
THIS SLOT RESERVED FOR GEFORCE 8800GTS 320MB

Case
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ Ok, there we have it. It's late here. I think that's everything. Couple of questions...

With all those fans on the case, is it going to be extremely loud? I'm not one to go for quietness, but I at least want to be able to hear my games. :D  I'm by no means attached to this case. Any suggestions?

Also, looking around I found Chiefvalue.com to have some pretty good prices, notable on the PSU and case. Anyone have any feedback on this website? Seems legit.

The thing I know the least about would have to be monitors. I tried to make sure it's 8bit and good refresh rate. Anyone know of a good 22" monitor for not a whole lot more?

And final question, and by far the most important, how does it all look? Is it all compatable? Did I miss something obvious? Should it run good? :) 

Appreciate it folks.

Airek

EDIT: Note that I already have a CD/DVD burner.
February 12, 2007 10:46:07 AM

are you planning to overclock that mama jamma(6600)? if so you MAY want to consider some ram with slightly lower timings like this one:
4-4-3-5 (!)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...

if your not planning to OC :roll: then this memory is fast and cheap - make sure to order 2 sticks of the 1GB memory - (it has free shipping) - if you order the 2GB package it costs $8 bucks more more AND newegg hits you with a $5 shipping charge... :? (who is running the pricing dept.?)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...

I dont know how attached you are to that hard drive, i'm in the market for one too and from the reviews and comparisons to the Western DIgitals this seagate is a beast on speed - $20 bucks more, but you get more room and speed

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E1682...

overall - seems like a REALLY solid build that you'll lose a lot of sleep over ------- FROM GAMING

i'm jealous - oh ya, check www.resellerrating.com for you question about chiefvalue.com - didn't have time to do it myself but thought i could point u in right direction...

-respect
Related resources
February 12, 2007 11:34:21 AM

I couldn't be happier with my Antec 900! The fans kept on low sound like any other rig with fans running. I think my 8800GTX is even happier since idle temps went down 12c and load temps reduced by 18c 8O Now that's what impressed me and I thought my old NZXT case had at least decent airflow.
February 12, 2007 12:18:27 PM

From what the other guys have said i would go with there recommendations. i have two of the Seagate’s in raid 0 and they work just fine, quiet and cool couldn’t be happier with them.

For a case, I love the TT Amor.Link
Only thing i would recommend is taking off the front flaps off the thing.
Images of TT Armor
The case fans in this are quiet, but the cooler master he linked you to are also good choices, Cooler Master Fans
I also ordered about 80% of my computer from zipzoomfly.com because it was cheaper. Make sure you shop around, neweeg only beat them on three of the components i needed.

And i picked up the same monitor as you i just got the 22" ver. Mine was overheating and crapped on me so its rma, In the pic i linked you to, that moniter is a 19" widescreen from samsung.
February 12, 2007 6:00:24 PM

Ok folks, couple of last minute changes.

I ended up going with this monitor. I'm pretty happy with the choice, let me know what you think.

Also, I've changed my hard drive as per suggestions to this one.

Now, having went with the 22" monitor, I'm thinking about going with the E6400 opposed to the E6600. The price difference is quite notable. Also, I'm thinking more and more about overclocking. I don't know the first thing about it, but there seems to be many great guides around. Could I wing the E6400 overclocked and still get stellar performance?

If I do go with overclocking (nothing too crazy, but enough to make it worth it) do I need to get different CPU cooling? Replace (or add?) a different fan, and different thermal paste?

And I lied when I said the thing I know least about it monitors. It would have to be RAM speed and what 4-4-3-5 means. Not the slightest. If I go with the overclocked E6400, should I get the RAM suggested earlier by crackdlr?

Airek
February 12, 2007 6:07:21 PM

OC guide
I just went through this guide, only thing i ignored was the voltages i kept mine default and i got my cpu to 3.2 stable with 33C ilde and 55C load.
(edit) i forgot to say im using the stock cooler, with a 6600, with artic silver 5.

Ya if your going with the 6400 you want the better ram.
And Sceptre has a 22" with HDMI Link

Its all up 2 u
G/L
February 12, 2007 6:25:34 PM

Will ignoring the voltages cause any issues?
February 12, 2007 6:28:27 PM

So many choices. Killing me. I'm now thinking about going E6400 but going with the 640MB 8800GTS.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=203444496&Sea...

With games coming out like Crysis and who knows what else, it could end up being beneficial having the extra RAM? Also after rebate this video card comes out to $370 with shipping. I save $100 from the processor, so I could handle that. I don't want to gimp myself by going E6400, though. Would the E6400 hinder me? I could go E6400/640MB 8800GTS/Faster Ram perhaps.

Edit: I'm thinking about this MB now. I honestly won't be using the SLI. What do you think? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
February 12, 2007 7:18:56 PM

I actually have this Gigabyte
I really like these model of boards im sure the one your looking at would do you fine.

Just to let you know EVGA has a step up program Link

I also have that same video card your looking at, Im really happy with it.

Also the 6400 Oc'ed shouldnt hinder you.
February 12, 2007 7:20:59 PM

You should leave voltages at stock, until you OC so far that you experience problems(lockups..etc...)
Just back it down or up the V.... Doing that will also up your temps. Im using stock cooling as of now thats why i left the voltages alone.
February 12, 2007 7:23:47 PM

WOOT a few more posts and i get me a avatar
!