Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Search tool and mapped drives

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 1:05:48 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

[NOTE: Cross Post alert! - This post was cross posted]

How do I keep the find tool searches from chasing down all network
drives?
If I start a search on C:\ it ends ups searching the full contents of
4 computers.

I'm pretty sure that isn't supposed to happen. That the search should
be confined to C:\ only.

The remote drives that end up getting searched too were mapped with
the `map drive' tool in explorer, and appear in folder pane as
lettered drives (see screen shots posted at url below)

NOTE: some additional info to add complete detail to this question:

Please look at this series of Screen shots displaying what I see
here. (You'll need your browser opened full screen)

http://www.jtan.com/~reader/SrchProblem/

Watch the slide show or click on the thumbnails in order.

You will see that the search starts out on C:\ but then starts
following the mapped drives, then might jump back to C:\ etc.

More about : search tool mapped drives

Anonymous
March 1, 2005 2:28:09 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

You can use the drop down menu and choose the entry with C: only rather than
the default which lists all drives.

--
Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
(Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
"Harry Putnam" <reader@newsguy.com> wrote in message
news:uekf0ggdf.fsf@newsguy.com...
> [NOTE: Cross Post alert! - This post was cross posted]
>
> How do I keep the find tool searches from chasing down all network
> drives?
> If I start a search on C:\ it ends ups searching the full contents of
> 4 computers.
>
> I'm pretty sure that isn't supposed to happen. That the search should
> be confined to C:\ only.
>
> The remote drives that end up getting searched too were mapped with
> the `map drive' tool in explorer, and appear in folder pane as
> lettered drives (see screen shots posted at url below)
>
> NOTE: some additional info to add complete detail to this question:
>
> Please look at this series of Screen shots displaying what I see
> here. (You'll need your browser opened full screen)
>
> http://www.jtan.com/~reader/SrchProblem/
>
> Watch the slide show or click on the thumbnails in order.
>
> You will see that the search starts out on C:\ but then starts
> following the mapped drives, then might jump back to C:\ etc.
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 4:11:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:
>You can use the drop down menu and choose the entry with C: only rather than
>the default which lists all drives.

Any way to make the search tool remember to search only c: ? In
Win98 this seemed to be automatic, that each Windows-F came up with
the same drive(s) I had specified last time. It was a timesaver
since almost always I want to search only on c: not my other
partitions.

--

Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Related resources
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 6:27:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

In a post just after yours, Sharon F gave the answer:

> In "Search", the default is "all local hard drives (C: and D:) ". It's
> inconvenient to go to the drop-down list every time to correct it to C:
>
> Question - how to set the default search drive to C: ?
>
> Appreciate yr help - thanks. Len.

Try a shortcut to the C: drive. Right click on it
and you should see Search as an option. Launching will put C: in as the
drive to be searched. Just another workaround but will do what you want.
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

--
Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
(Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
"Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
news:38jphkF5miaorU12@individual.net...
> "" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:
>>You can use the drop down menu and choose the entry with C: only rather
>>than
>>the default which lists all drives.
>
> Any way to make the search tool remember to search only c: ? In
> Win98 this seemed to be automatic, that each Windows-F came up with
> the same drive(s) I had specified last time. It was a timesaver
> since almost always I want to search only on c: not my other
> partitions.
>
> --
>
> Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
> http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 5:20:11 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> writes:

> You can use the drop down menu and choose the entry with C: only rather than
> the default which lists all drives.

But I did select C only. I appears in the selection box. As can be
seen in 3rd scrn shot I posted for people to look at, in my previous
post:

> http://www.jtan.com/~reader/SrchProblem/

My previous post also explains the problem happens when drives on
remote machines are mapped to letters using the
explorer Find/map network drives tools.
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 12:52:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Please see my second post for Sharon F's suggestion.

--
Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
(Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
"Harry Putnam" <reader@newsguy.com> wrote in message
news:m3d5uisblw.fsf@newsguy.com...
> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> writes:
>
>> You can use the drop down menu and choose the entry with C: only rather
>> than
>> the default which lists all drives.
>
> But I did select C only. I appears in the selection box. As can be
> seen in 3rd scrn shot I posted for people to look at, in my previous
> post:
>
>> http://www.jtan.com/~reader/SrchProblem/
>
> My previous post also explains the problem happens when drives on
> remote machines are mapped to letters using the
> explorer Find/map network drives tools.
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 10:37:20 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> writes:

> Please see my second post for Sharon F's suggestion.

Colin, Sorry if I seem dense, but I wasn't able to figure out what you
are referring to here..
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 11:38:47 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Just above. My second reply in this thread. Sharon suggests making a
shortcut for drive C: on the desktop so that when you right click on it and
select Search you only search the C: drive.

--
Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
(Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
"Harry Putnam" <reader@newsguy.com> wrote in message
news:m3y8d4rgtr.fsf@newsguy.com...
> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> writes:
>
>> Please see my second post for Sharon F's suggestion.
>
> Colin, Sorry if I seem dense, but I wasn't able to figure out what you
> are referring to here..
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 10:53:22 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> writes:

> Just above. My second reply in this thread. Sharon suggests making a
> shortcut for drive C: on the desktop so that when you right click on it and
> select Search you only search the C: drive.

Oh, strange. but my server didn't get any posts from a Sharon in this
thread. But anyway, thanks Sharon and Colin, however that doesn't do
one bit of good. Still it puts C:\ in the to be searched box and the
search jumps out to all remote machines and all drives on this
machine.

In fact watching the status bar as the search takes place I see:

Searching C:\
[...]
Searching E:\
[...]
Searching Network connections
searching \\chub\chub-c
[...]
Searching control-panel
Searching Faxes and Printers
[...]

This is really crazy and clearly not supposed to happen. Anyone have
an idea what might cause this? Does anyone else see this behavior?
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 12:43:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 07:53:22 -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:

> Still it puts C:\ in the to be searched box and the
> search jumps out to all remote machines and all drives on this
> machine.

The shortcut will just fill in the location criteria for you and save a few
click in setting up a search. It doesn't stop XP search from looking around
when and where it shouldn't.

I've seen similar behavior to what you mention. After getting my search
results, I may be busy in another program and haven't closed the search
window yet. When I glance over at the search window, I can see that it's
restarted the search on its own and apparently is looking all over creation
instead of limited to the specified drive.

This behavior has been reported here before. It seems to be an oddity of XP
Search and I've not seen nor have I found a permanent fix for it. I have
seen various workarounds suggested. For example, editing parts of XP to
revert to classic search (manually registry edits or use TweakUI for XP to
set "classic search") or using an alternative search tool.

Look on the S page of the XP ABC section at MVP Kelly Theriot's site
(www.kellys-korner-xp.com) for a discussion of tweaking search.

Personally, I've switched to a different program: FileLocator Pro found at
www.mythicsoft.com. This company also offers a free search tool called
Agent Ransack that is quite good as well.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 12:53:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Perhaps running Disk Cleanup will empty a cache that is involved.

--
Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
(Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
"Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
news:%23R$ptBNIFHA.3612@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 07:53:22 -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:
>
>> Still it puts C:\ in the to be searched box and the
>> search jumps out to all remote machines and all drives on this
>> machine.
>
> The shortcut will just fill in the location criteria for you and save a
> few
> click in setting up a search. It doesn't stop XP search from looking
> around
> when and where it shouldn't.
>
> I've seen similar behavior to what you mention. After getting my search
> results, I may be busy in another program and haven't closed the search
> window yet. When I glance over at the search window, I can see that it's
> restarted the search on its own and apparently is looking all over
> creation
> instead of limited to the specified drive.
>
> This behavior has been reported here before. It seems to be an oddity of
> XP
> Search and I've not seen nor have I found a permanent fix for it. I have
> seen various workarounds suggested. For example, editing parts of XP to
> revert to classic search (manually registry edits or use TweakUI for XP to
> set "classic search") or using an alternative search tool.
>
> Look on the S page of the XP ABC section at MVP Kelly Theriot's site
> (www.kellys-korner-xp.com) for a discussion of tweaking search.
>
> Personally, I've switched to a different program: FileLocator Pro found at
> www.mythicsoft.com. This company also offers a free search tool called
> Agent Ransack that is quite good as well.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 11:02:48 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Sharon F <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> writes:

> Personally, I've switched to a different program: FileLocator Pro found at
> www.mythicsoft.com. This company also offers a free search tool called
> Agent Ransack that is quite good as well.

Thanks for a fully detailed and informative reply Sharon.
Funny you should mention Agent Ransack as I just happened to luck onto
it myself. Yes it is quite a nice tool.

Thanks again
!