Help Im deeply worried with my XFX 7950GX2 TEMP. readout..=(

spenz

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Hi guys i'm from Philippines weather ambient here is around 32-38c so pls kindly take that into consideration. is there any members here who are using 7950GX2 too? Iam deelply troubled with my temp readouts lately. Iam hitting 56c-61c at idle and 88c-92c+++ at full load, take note this is with airconditioner already. Is this normal for a GX2 or dangerous enough to reduce my cards life expectancy?

I know that 7950GX2 don't have any aftermarket coolers available. instead, may i ask how do you keep your 7950GX2 cool and what casing are you using, is full tower a must for this heat sucker?? iam currently using Lian Li PC07 (modded by tantric and it's perfectly cool when im still using my old Palit 7950GT until this 7950GX2 arrived), asus P5W DH Deluxe and E6600 with Zalman 600W Heatpiped cooled PSU.

Also, i have been having problem looking for the best driver for 7950GX2. Drivers i've tried so far are 87.84, 91.31, 91.47, and 97.28. All of this are great except for 3dmark benchmarking and other games that Im currently playing except when i try play Comapny of heroes all the above drivers mentioned suck! very sluggish and i'm getting very low framerates in performance testing along with actual gaming.

Any help, advise and recommendation from you guys will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

Voronus

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
About company of heroes, have you installed the patch which enables SLI support? Without it your GX2 will run very slowly. I know from experience. Once installed though fps doubles.

As for temps, my GX2 tops out at about 80 under load, 55 idle but my ambient is only in the low 20s so I imagine that is your problem. I also have a very large case (Akassa Eclipse) with plenty of airflow.

mayouuu

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
ok, im in spain, actually 20º-22º ambient temp in my room, when i was under windows XP everest gave me both the temps of each gpu of my GX2, they allways rised up to 90º aprox. under full heavy load, i remember thta drivers temp showed up about 80º more or less, now under windows vista y cant see the temps of each gpu but ntune shows me arround 80ºs full load, i think the card should not die for this temps, i saw in its bios that top temperature is set to 122º when it starts throtling, i would like them to be lower and i flashed its bios becouse it had the fan speed 35% when 3D mode and i rised it up to 65%, i dont see much less temperature... you can try it....., my case is a sunbeam tuniq symmetry 1
and i have a 80mm fan in the side panel blowing to de gx2 and other one over one hard drive blowing it, i remember it helped a lot to my idle temps to go from 70s to 60º now.
lets see if it helps you

spenz

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
About company of heroes, have you installed the patch which enables SLI support? Without it your GX2 will run very slowly. I know from experience. Once installed though fps doubles.

As for temps, my GX2 tops out at about 80 under load, 55 idle but my ambient is only in the low 20s so I imagine that is your problem. I also have a very large case (Akassa Eclipse) with plenty of airflow.

I don't know it my current patch has an SLI enable support, but to be sure I will try to dwnload some new patches. thank you very much, that's oone great advise mate. :wink:

spenz

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
ok, im in spain, actually 20º-22º ambient temp in my room, when i was under windows XP everest gave me both the temps of each gpu of my GX2, they allways rised up to 90º aprox. under full heavy load, i remember thta drivers temp showed up about 80º more or less, now under windows vista y cant see the temps of each gpu but ntune shows me arround 80ºs full load, i think the card should not die for this temps, i saw in its bios that top temperature is set to 122º when it starts throtling, i would like them to be lower and i flashed its bios becouse it had the fan speed 35% when 3D mode and i rised it up to 65%, i dont see much less temperature... you can try it....., my case is a sunbeam tuniq symmetry 1
and i have a 80mm fan in the side panel blowing to de gx2 and other one over one hard drive blowing it, i remember it helped a lot to my idle temps to go from 70s to 60º now.
lets see if it helps you

whoa i envy your ambient temp right there mate! :) basing from your statement, it is clear that 7950GX2 is really capable of producing some frightening temp, i came from a regular 7950GT card which only runs as hot as 55-58c so having this monstrous temp i've never had was a real shocker to me. :(

moreover, I will definitely try that side panel fan you were suggesting. i remember my personal modder here in the Philippines advised me to keep away from putting a side panel fan due to it might create a turbulence inside the case which might backfire of producing rather disappointing more heat than what you have hoped for. well, what the hell i might as well try it coz my case temp is in hell right now anyway... :cry:

mayouuu

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
yes sometimes its easy to make things worse rather than better with a fan, in my case y got idle temps down and still have the same or a bit lower temps under full load, the fan speed is set to slow mode in the motherboard bios, the reason for idle temps being lower and full load not is that in idle the graphics fan isnt spining any fast and the side fan makes it cooler , but under full load the graphics fan start spining faster and the heat they get out of the heatsink is partially blowed again by the side panel, you can even try the side fan blowing or just exhausting aire from the case, my experience says that blowing fresh air into the case is the most efective way to go, my cpu and gpu temps rise up a lot when i switch of both of my side panel fans

spenz

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
yes sometimes its easy to make things worse rather than better with a fan, in my case y got idle temps down and still have the same or a bit lower temps under full load, the fan speed is set to slow mode in the motherboard bios, the reason for idle temps being lower and full load not is that in idle the graphics fan isnt spining any fast and the side fan makes it cooler , but under full load the graphics fan start spining faster and the heat they get out of the heatsink is partially blowed again by the side panel, you can even try the side fan blowing or just exhausting aire from the case, my experience says that blowing fresh air into the case is the most efective way to go, my cpu and gpu temps rise up a lot when i switch of both of my side panel fans

well, very nice advise indeed basing from your personal experience mate. I guess ill start a good plan with buying a full tower casing. i think in theory and actual practice this is the most effective way on increasing the airflow inside. then, maybe change the stock fans to some uber high CFM after market fans nevermind the noise as iam placing my PC on my home theater room anyway. finally, if iam not satisfied I'll ask my modder to bust my side panel and put [1] 120mm low powered but high cfm fan. looks pretty interesting. i just hope the plan would meterialize, ist ill have to gather the materials.. ill let you know what happens next.....

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
Dont be surprised. I too play Company of Heroes, and it makes my graphics cards run hotter than usual games, including AOE3. Im using 2 7900GTX's anyway. Consider adding additional fans near the video card, greatly reduces temperature readings. Worked for me.

spenz

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
i also forgot to tell you this link:
http://www.swiftnets.com/products/7950gx2spacerkit.asp
i cant find it here in spain... maybe you can, probably the most efective solution anyway

wow u'r into watercooling! my friends tried several of them, love them at 1st but after a few month they quit one by one. They said it's too demanding, don't know what they meant but i'm not into watercooling anyway coz im lazy enough with aircooling alone. :lol:

spenz

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Dont be surprised. I too play Company of Heroes, and it makes my graphics cards run hotter than usual games, including AOE3. Im using 2 7900GTX's anyway. Consider adding additional fans near the video card, greatly reduces temperature readings. Worked for me.

yeah COH suck big time heat, try titan quest your card will feel very close to hell.. since 2 of you suggests putting additional fans near VC it's definitely a big plus for the incoming modding iam planning to make. thanks for the input mate.. :wink:

mayouuu

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
i didnt mean to watercool, just to increase the graphics card distance between GPUs, GX2 spacer kit has not water bloks in the kit, ive seen picures of gx2 wiht the spacer kit and using both zalmans air coolers.

spenz

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
i didnt mean to watercool, just to increase the graphics card distance between GPUs, GX2 spacer kit has not water bloks in the kit, ive seen picures of gx2 wiht the spacer kit and using both zalmans air coolers.

:lol: sorry my bad. i think this kind of cooling soulution can only be found on a nvidia specialty stores. Maybe on U.S., U.K. or China?... or wherever there's an Nvidia factory.. Since there are only a handful of us who currently use this card, iam sure the production quantity of this gadget is quite limited also. :wink:

spenz

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007

I'd like to thank you sir! Your advise about updating a patch which enables SLI support is a life saver. Now My FPS really have more than doubled, i even enabled anti-aliasing and turned all settings to max. I can still get an average of 80+ fps. Fantastic! Now this is the 7950GX2 i knew not the sluggish one. Very well appreciated mate! :wink: