Antec Phantom 500w - any alternatives?

P-Trix

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade the PSU in my HTPC. I have an Antec NSK2400 case and would like a PSU that is powerful but as silent as possible.

I have been looking at the Antec Phantom 500w but would like to know if anyone could point me to any alternatives?

I have an OCZ GameXStream 600w in my gaming rig, i like this psu and it is very quiet but it has way too many cables to fit into my HTPC so one of these would be out of the question.

P-Trix

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
The Phanto is the largest passivly cooled PSU i've seen so far. It offers about 32A to 34A on the combined +12v rails. I havn't been able to find the exact numbers yet so i'm not sure if that is the total amps. But it all depends on what the power needs of the system are.

It's acctually quite overkill for my system, but i like and rate Antec products. It seems to be the best passive with the 'Hybird Fan' which i think is an excellent plus side to the PSU, the only minus being that it is about 1.5inchs bigger than any other PSU.

I guess i just want something silent, but the OTT Power would be an advantage if and when i do upgrade my HTPC to something that draws more power. So although power is not really my main 'want' it would be an advantgae, silence is bliss though. I need it :)

P-Trix

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
Bit of a contradiction in my posts there...

I have been thinking and to be fair i don't think i will need or need in the future 500w of power, as it will just be a HTPC with minimal components.

So basicly i am looking for something that is silent, i'm bidding on a Phantom 500w second hand on ebay, and i have put my max to £50. Is there another silent PSU that would be ideal for a HTPC around £50 ($98) new?

Regards

I recommend a Seasonic S12 PSU. I have the 500w version, and while it does have a fan, the PSU is nearly silent. The series ranges between the S12 330 to the S12 600. The S12 330 thru S12 430 falls in your price range:

http://www.scan.co.uk/search/search.asp?criteria=seasonic+s12&Submit=Go

You can read review of Seasonic S12 PSUs and other quiet PSUs at the following link:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article699-page1.html

Seasonic specific reviews at silentpcreview:

Seasonic S12 330 review

Seasonic S12 430 review

Most non gaming systems usually draw less than 200w of total power under full load. At a 200w load, the S12 330 has a noise level of 30dBA. The S12 430 generates 25dBA of noise at the same 200w. The noise level is measured by a microphone place on a 45 degree angle, 3 inches (76mm) away from the edge of the PSU fan.

I plan to use the Seasonic S12 430 for my next HTPC. 430w will be overkill, but the S12 430 is quietest model in the entire S12 series.

Latest posts