W2K Advanced Server user rights assignment

Thank you in advance for your recommendations. My
environment is W2K with AD and single domain. 10 users in
domain with no OUs. Have three groups with Exec, Admin
and Operations. Is it possible to give the users local
administrative to their designated machines so that they
can do as they please with them? I do not think it is a
great idea to give the users domain admin rights but I
cannot seem to find a built-in group or any other method
for that matter to allow them to install devices such as
Palm, Ipaq, etc... They all have admin rights by logging
on to their local machine and perform all the functions
that they require but once they log on to the domain, the
installed applications or devices will not run. Any
advice would be helpful and thanks again.

Ed

Hi Ed,

I presume computers are part of domain (domain members).

On Windows XP and Windows 2000 right click on My Computer -> Manage -> under
Local Users and Groups click on Groups -> here double click on
Administrators. Click on Add and make sure that under "From this location:"
you see your domain name (if necessary change this by clicking on Location
button). Under "Enter the object names" enter domain username of user that
you want to be local administrator on designated computer.

Mike

"Ed Oca" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thank you in advance for your recommendations. My
> environment is W2K with AD and single domain. 10 users in
> domain with no OUs. Have three groups with Exec, Admin
> and Operations. Is it possible to give the users local
> administrative to their designated machines so that they
> can do as they please with them? I do not think it is a
> great idea to give the users domain admin rights but I
> cannot seem to find a built-in group or any other method
> for that matter to allow them to install devices such as
> Palm, Ipaq, etc... They all have admin rights by logging
> on to their local machine and perform all the functions
> that they require but once they log on to the domain, the
> installed applications or devices will not run. Any
> advice would be helpful and thanks again.
>
> Ed

Mike gave the answer for adding the domain user to the local administrators group and
additionally you also might want to contact or visit the website of those
manufacturers and ask them if they now how to allow regular users to use their
product. It might be able to be accomplished with a change to ntfs/registry
permissions and or user rights or possibly after the devices have been installed
there is a way to allow regular users to use them. One thing to try is in Local
Security Policy/security settings/user rights give users [or specific user ] the
right to load and unload device drivers. --- Steve