HDTV TS file playback in VLC: White line at bottom. Help?

Last response: in Home Theatre
July 16, 2004 2:38:35 AM

Got my hands on a few sample TS files of HDTV material at 720p and
1080i. I quickly discovered that:

Windows Media Player 6.4 quickly chokes and exits.
Windows Media Player 8.whatever quickly chokes and reports an error.
VLC 0.7.2 plays them fine, although it defaults with the audio off
and also reserves the bottom of the screen for displaying a thin
black bar with a white line.

Now, the thing that may be throwing a monkey wrench into the works
is the fact that I am displaying this material on a 1365x768 (16:9)
device. VLC may have undocumented issues with that. But I would
like to suspect that the knowledgable folks in this newsgroup have
figured out ways of playing back HDTV TS files with the PC on a
16:9 display device, without annoying / dangerous (burn-in)
artifacts like the above-referenced white line.

Anyone have any advice? Thanks!
Anonymous
July 16, 2004 2:24:23 PM

"Marc Brown" <retsa2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Got my hands on a few sample TS files of HDTV material at 720p and
> 1080i. I quickly discovered that:
>
> Windows Media Player 6.4 quickly chokes and exits.
> Windows Media Player 8.whatever quickly chokes and reports an error.
> VLC 0.7.2 plays them fine, although it defaults with the audio off
> and also reserves the bottom of the screen for displaying a thin
> black bar with a white line.
>
> Now, the thing that may be throwing a monkey wrench into the works
> is the fact that I am displaying this material on a 1365x768 (16:9)
> device. VLC may have undocumented issues with that. But I would
> like to suspect that the knowledgable folks in this newsgroup have
> figured out ways of playing back HDTV TS files with the PC on a
> 16:9 display device, without annoying / dangerous (burn-in)
> artifacts like the above-referenced white line.

You could always buy the Fusion HDTV Gold 3 card it has a .TS player and
without the annoying white or grey thin bar at the bottom...You could also
use the CROP filter in VLC to get rid of the bar, but then you lose the
deinterlacing filter feature which is I think is more important.

!