Domain computers screen resolution

matt

Why does the screen resolution change on computers when
users logon. We set the resolution to 1024x768 and after
a reboot, the user logs in and the resolution changes to
1280x768

Hi Matt-

The screen resolution is a user-specific setting, and is stored in the
user's profile (located in Documents and Settings).

Although there is not a group policy setting which would allow you to set a
specific setting for the screen resolution for users (this could be an
accidental disaster if set to one the hardware doesn't support), it is
possible to prevent users from altering a predefined screen resolution via
group policy.

In a group policy which linked to a container the user objects reside in,
and where the users have permissions to that group policy, edit the policy
and go to:

User Configuration->Administrative Templates->Control Panel->Display.

You can remove the Display CPL from appearing entirely, or simply remove the
Settings folder tab from being visible for those users.

Please repost if we can help further.

--
Tim Springston
Microsoft Corporation

"Matt" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Why does the screen resolution change on computers when
> users logon. We set the resolution to 1024x768 and after
> a reboot, the user logs in and the resolution changes to
> 1280x768

matt

Hi Tim,

Your feedback is really great. Howerver, the problem
that I am having is that the users display settings is
set to 1024x768. when the users restart the computers
the next day, the screen res changes back to 1280x768. I
started having this problem after I removed the domain
users group from the local administrator group of the
workstations. I looks like the screen res is being
forced by a GPO to change to the higher res..

For security resason I need to remove the domain users
group from the local admin group and make them power
users, but then the res has problems.

Please help

Thanks,

Matt

confers no rights.

>"Matt" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>> Why does the screen resolution change on computers when
>> users logon. We set the resolution to 1024x768 and
after
>> a reboot, the user logs in and the resolution changes
>> 1280x768
>

>.

How are the users logging in, with local credentials or domain? If they
logon with domain credentials, what group memberships (domain and local) do
they have?

--

> Hi Tim,
>
> Your feedback is really great. Howerver, the problem
> that I am having is that the users display settings is
> set to 1024x768. when the users restart the computers
> the next day, the screen res changes back to 1280x768. I
> started having this problem after I removed the domain
> users group from the local administrator group of the
> workstations. I looks like the screen res is being
> forced by a GPO to change to the higher res..
>
> For security resason I need to remove the domain users
> group from the local admin group and make them power
> users, but then the res has problems.
>
> Please help
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt

turboziga

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
iam also having this problem .
when i changed the screen from traditional 15 inch CRT to 19 LCD , every time windows restarts the display changes to the full mode 1280 *1024, so each time the user restarts the PC he needs to manually set the previous resolution ,
iam thankful if some one can help with this,
or if i can write a bat file that i can run @ start up which sets the right mode

Zeid Atallah
Jordan, Amman