Network Passwords, make Win2k like XP?

The office network is based on a Windows 2000 server and uses 192.168.16.x
ip addresses. It also acts as a VPN Server.

Scenario 1
Remote client machine is running Windows XP Pro. To work with the home
network, the remote user makes a connection to The Internet, then the VPN
connection. Now, it is a while since I set this up, but I am quite sure that
I told the remote users to make a connection to the server using a drive
mapping, which allows the username and password for the office network to be
input, and stored. After the first time, as long as their password does not
change on the office server, they can just use the application without
re-entering username and password.

Scenario 2
Remote client machine is running Windows 2000 Pro. The user makes the
connection in the same was as above, but every time they connect they have
to click the shortcut on their desktop to the server's file space and then
input username and password. Once this has been done, they can carry on as
with XP.

What I want to do is simplify the connection procedure for the Windows 2000
users as much as possible. In particular, it would be nice if the office
network username and password were stored in some way as with XP.

Any ideas?
Thanks.
Dave

The "stored credentials" is a feature new to Windows XP and not available in Windows
2000. You can however select "connect with different username" when you map a drive
in Windows 2000 to enter alternate username and password for that connection which
may be worth a try. --- Steve

"David Bolt" <davebolt@_ANTI_SPAM_compuserve.com> wrote in message
> The office network is based on a Windows 2000 server and uses 192.168.16.x
> ip addresses. It also acts as a VPN Server.
>
> Scenario 1
> Remote client machine is running Windows XP Pro. To work with the home
> network, the remote user makes a connection to The Internet, then the VPN
> connection. Now, it is a while since I set this up, but I am quite sure that
> I told the remote users to make a connection to the server using a drive
> mapping, which allows the username and password for the office network to be
> input, and stored. After the first time, as long as their password does not
> change on the office server, they can just use the application without
> re-entering username and password.
>
> Scenario 2
> Remote client machine is running Windows 2000 Pro. The user makes the
> connection in the same was as above, but every time they connect they have
> to click the shortcut on their desktop to the server's file space and then
> input username and password. Once this has been done, they can carry on as
> with XP.
>
> What I want to do is simplify the connection procedure for the Windows 2000
> users as much as possible. In particular, it would be nice if the office
> network username and password were stored in some way as with XP.
>
> Any ideas?
> Thanks.
> Dave

Yes, that does work, but when the Windows 2000 machine starts it can not
access the share, no internet connection yet. If I leave the mapping
persistent, I still seem to have to specifically enter username and password
to get access to the shared location after every time the PC has been
re-started.
Any more ideas?
Thanks
Dave
> The "stored credentials" is a feature new to Windows XP and not available
in Windows
> 2000. You can however select "connect with different username" when you
map a drive
> in Windows 2000 to enter alternate username and password for that
connection which
> may be worth a try. --- Steve
>

> "David Bolt" <davebolt@_ANTI_SPAM_compuserve.com> wrote in message
> > The office network is based on a Windows 2000 server and uses
192.168.16.x
> > ip addresses. It also acts as a VPN Server.
> >
> > Scenario 1
> > Remote client machine is running Windows XP Pro. To work with the home
> > network, the remote user makes a connection to The Internet, then the
VPN
> > connection. Now, it is a while since I set this up, but I am quite sure
that
> > I told the remote users to make a connection to the server using a drive
> > mapping, which allows the username and password for the office network
to be
> > input, and stored. After the first time, as long as their password does
not
> > change on the office server, they can just use the application without
> > re-entering username and password.
> >
> > Scenario 2
> > Remote client machine is running Windows 2000 Pro. The user makes the
> > connection in the same was as above, but every time they connect they
have
> > to click the shortcut on their desktop to the server's file space and
then
> > input username and password. Once this has been done, they can carry on
as
> > with XP.
> >
> > What I want to do is simplify the connection procedure for the Windows
2000
> > users as much as possible. In particular, it would be nice if the office
> > network username and password were stored in some way as with XP.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> > Thanks.
> > Dave

Can't think of anything else except if you are in an AD domain have the vpn users
logon to the VPN with the domain name option. --- Steve

> Yes, that does work, but when the Windows 2000 machine starts it can not
> access the share, no internet connection yet. If I leave the mapping
> persistent, I still seem to have to specifically enter username and password
> to get access to the shared location after every time the PC has been
> re-started.
> Any more ideas?
> Thanks
> Dave
> "Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net> wrote in message
>> The "stored credentials" is a feature new to Windows XP and not available
> in Windows
>> 2000. You can however select "connect with different username" when you
> map a drive
>> in Windows 2000 to enter alternate username and password for that
> connection which
>> may be worth a try. --- Steve
>>

>> "David Bolt" <davebolt@_ANTI_SPAM_compuserve.com> wrote in message
>> > The office network is based on a Windows 2000 server and uses
> 192.168.16.x
>> > ip addresses. It also acts as a VPN Server.
>> >
>> > Scenario 1
>> > Remote client machine is running Windows XP Pro. To work with the home
>> > network, the remote user makes a connection to The Internet, then the
> VPN
>> > connection. Now, it is a while since I set this up, but I am quite sure
> that
>> > I told the remote users to make a connection to the server using a drive
>> > mapping, which allows the username and password for the office network
> to be
>> > input, and stored. After the first time, as long as their password does
> not
>> > change on the office server, they can just use the application without
>> > re-entering username and password.
>> >
>> > Scenario 2
>> > Remote client machine is running Windows 2000 Pro. The user makes the
>> > connection in the same was as above, but every time they connect they
> have
>> > to click the shortcut on their desktop to the server's file space and
> then
>> > input username and password. Once this has been done, they can carry on
> as
>> > with XP.
>> >
>> > What I want to do is simplify the connection procedure for the Windows
> 2000
>> > users as much as possible. In particular, it would be nice if the office
>> > network username and password were stored in some way as with XP.
>> >
>> > Any ideas?
>> > Thanks.
>> > Dave

Ah! We have an Active Directory. Do I have to do something to make Windows
2000 workstations use it?
Dave

> Can't think of anything else except if you are in an AD domain have the
vpn users
> logon to the VPN with the domain name option. --- Steve
>
> "David Bolt" <davebolt@_ANTI_SPAM_compuserve.com> wrote in message
> > Yes, that does work, but when the Windows 2000 machine starts it can not
> > access the share, no internet connection yet. If I leave the mapping
> > persistent, I still seem to have to specifically enter username and
password
> > to get access to the shared location after every time the PC has been
> > re-started.
> > Any more ideas?
> > Thanks
> > Dave
> > "Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net> wrote in message
> >> The "stored credentials" is a feature new to Windows XP and not
available
> > in Windows
> >> 2000. You can however select "connect with different username" when you
> > map a drive
> >> in Windows 2000 to enter alternate username and password for that
> > connection which
> >> may be worth a try. --- Steve
> >>

> >> "David Bolt" <davebolt@_ANTI_SPAM_compuserve.com> wrote in message
> > 192.168.16.x

> > VPN
> > that
> > to be
> > not

> > have
> > then
> > as

Windows
> > 2000

Have the users select properties/options on their VPN connectoid and check "include
logon domain". I don't know of a way to configure that with Group Policy however.
There may be a way to roll out connection properties with CMAK but I have not tried
it myself. The win2000.rras_routing newsgroup may have more info on that. --- Steve

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/standard/proddocs/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/standard/proddocs/en-us/cmak_ops_85.asp
-- CMAK

> Ah! We have an Active Directory. Do I have to do something to make Windows
> 2000 workstations use it?
> Dave
>
> "Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Can't think of anything else except if you are in an AD domain have the
> vpn users
>> logon to the VPN with the domain name option. --- Steve
>>
>> "David Bolt" <davebolt@_ANTI_SPAM_compuserve.com> wrote in message
>> > Yes, that does work, but when the Windows 2000 machine starts it can not
>> > access the share, no internet connection yet. If I leave the mapping
>> > persistent, I still seem to have to specifically enter username and
> password
>> > to get access to the shared location after every time the PC has been
>> > re-started.
>> > Any more ideas?
>> > Thanks
>> > Dave