Article topic suggestion...

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
I recall reading a comment by a THG author (sorry I don't remember who) who made the comment that the quality of standalone DVD players with "good scalers" are now able to provide excellent HD output, to the point where it is approaching equal to true HD picture quality. I like this idea, because I'd rather not replace my entire DVD collection, but rather just buy new movies in HDDVD/Blueray in the future.

I'd love to see an article comparing these 4 solutions. The article would probably be largely subjective, but I personally would trust a THG author to have more experience and give a better subjective opinion on this, than I could.

All connected to a tv/monitor capable of 720p+1080i+1080p:
1. new model standalone dvd player with a good "upscaler" to emulate HD
2. new model video card in a PC playing the DVD connected to the same TV/monitor (is the quality as good as the "upscale" standalone dvd player?)
3. PC with an HDDVD player (I would love to see the xbox360 external unit sine it's affordable and easy to get)
4. standalone HDDVD player

I am not sure if all 4 would be necessary, but what I want to know is, should I spend easily $1000+ to re-buy all my movies, or is the visual quality close enough that most people could live with it (except for their FAVOURITE movies let's say). Also (very important to me!), can PC's now with all the new purevideo drivers etc, output the same quality as a DVD player with a good upscaler?

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
excellent. I could only read the anandtech article at work, but it was very good. thanks for the link! good to know my current system is way below what I'd need for HD content, so I can stop worrying about trying to be ready for it until I'm ready to buy a new pc.