Windows Prefetch

The windows prefetch system appears to have stopped working. The
folder "prefetch" under windows is empty, and I have noticed that the system
seems to be taking longer to load recently. Is there some setting that has
changed to cause this?
8 answers Last reply
More about windows prefetch

    Hi,

    This should help:
    http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6270-5165773.html

    But, unless you changed the registry settings, it should kick back in by
    itself.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Oldster" <jonathan.bartrum@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > The windows prefetch system appears to have stopped working. The
    > folder "prefetch" under windows is empty, and I have noticed that the
    > system seems to be taking longer to load recently. Is there some setting
    > that has changed to cause this?

    I've checked the registry settings mentioned in this article, and all
    seems to be correct. Is there some task that I may have inhibited that might
    cause this action?

    I have since found out that the problem was caused by changing the "Task
    Scheduler" task from "automatic" to "manual". Turning this service back to
    "automatic" has solved the problem.

    Good to know, thanks for the feedback.

    --

    > I have since found out that the problem was caused by changing the
    > "Task Scheduler" task from "automatic" to "manual". Turning this service
    > back to "automatic" has solved the problem.

    On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 14:26:48 -0000, "Oldster"
    <jonathan.bartrum@ntlworld.com> in microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics
    wrote this terrifying message:

    > I have since found out that the problem was caused by changing the "Task
    >Scheduler" task from "automatic" to "manual". Turning this service back to
    >"automatic" has solved the problem.

    Who in their right and wrong minds would set that task to Manual? It's
    a task scheduler it needs to be running to run tasks. Regular tasks
    like anti virus scans and updates can't happen if it's disabled?

    Reminds me of a return I got at a company I used to work for.

    Customer complains of very poor wireless performance. After going
    through some troubleshooting with him, checking all his settings,
    resetting and reconfiguring, it turns out to be, the antennas were
    never screwed on, they arrived back shrink wrapped and never touched.

    Now, tell me again, have you set it up as per the manual?
    Jason Marshall
    Australian Unemployed IT Technician/ASP Web Developer.
    Email me: services_admin@hotmail.com.

    ATTN: Help Others: Please keep all replies to my posts in the newsgroup.
    Failure to do so can result in your message not being answered.

    You say that virus scans and updates for example don't work if task
    scheduler is in "manual", but my system performs those actions quite
    satisfactorily with the scheduler in manual!

    AV software and Windows Update are usually services in their own right and
    do not depend on the Task Scheduler.

    --

    "Jason Marshall" <services_admin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 14:26:48 -0000, "Oldster"
    > <jonathan.bartrum@ntlworld.com> in microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics
    > wrote this terrifying message:
    >
    >> I have since found out that the problem was caused by changing the
    >> "Task
    >>Scheduler" task from "automatic" to "manual". Turning this service back to
    >>"automatic" has solved the problem.
    >>

    > Who in their right and wrong minds would set that task to Manual? It's
    > a task scheduler it needs to be running to run tasks. Regular tasks
    > like anti virus scans and updates can't happen if it's disabled?
    >
    > Reminds me of a return I got at a company I used to work for.
    >
    > Customer complains of very poor wireless performance. After going
    > through some troubleshooting with him, checking all his settings,
    > resetting and reconfiguring, it turns out to be, the antennas were
    > never screwed on, they arrived back shrink wrapped and never touched.
    >
    > Now, tell me again, have you set it up as per the manual?
    > Jason Marshall
    > Australian Unemployed IT Technician/ASP Web Developer.
    > Email me: services_admin@hotmail.com.
    >
    > ATTN: Help Others: Please keep all replies to my posts in the newsgroup.
    > Failure to do so can result in your message not being answered.

    WU and AV updates run their "own" scheduler services to perform these tasks
    regardless of the state of the "windows scheduler service". So who or shall
    I say whom is/is not in the right mind now?

    Personally I don't give a hoot about scheduling things via windows, and true
    with XP the "prefetch" don't work, but with today's fast harddrives and
    controllers, who cares about the milliseconds the prefetch is going to save
    with applications, plus I rarely reboot the PC and when I do, I go get a cup
    of coffee, again only saving mere milliseconds per application.

    --
    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
    "Google is your Friend!"

    "Jason Marshall" <services_admin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 14:26:48 -0000, "Oldster"
    > <jonathan.bartrum@ntlworld.com> in microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics
    > wrote this terrifying message:
    >
    > > I have since found out that the problem was caused by changing the
    "Task
    > >Scheduler" task from "automatic" to "manual". Turning this service back
    > >"automatic" has solved the problem.
    > >

    > Who in their right and wrong minds would set that task to Manual? It's
    > a task scheduler it needs to be running to run tasks. Regular tasks
    > like anti virus scans and updates can't happen if it's disabled?
    >
    > Reminds me of a return I got at a company I used to work for.
    >
    > Customer complains of very poor wireless performance. After going
    > through some troubleshooting with him, checking all his settings,
    > resetting and reconfiguring, it turns out to be, the antennas were
    > never screwed on, they arrived back shrink wrapped and never touched.
    >
    > Now, tell me again, have you set it up as per the manual?
    > Jason Marshall
    > Australian Unemployed IT Technician/ASP Web Developer.
    > Email me: services_admin@hotmail.com.
    >
    > ATTN: Help Others: Please keep all replies to my posts in the newsgroup.
    > Failure to do so can result in your message not being answered.

Microsoft Windows XP