Native Mode vs Mixed Mode

My company has an application that creates Global
Security groups on a domain controller as part of the
process. We are trying to have this application create
the global group within a domain, but continuously get
this error when attempting to do so. Run Time Error
Encountered-Abort: Error #-2147016651 Automation error
The server is unwilling to process the request. Could
it be that the server will not allow this because the
domain is in Mixed mode and not Native mode?
5 answers Last reply
More about native mode mixed mode

    I would try to contact the publisher of the software. I doubt it is a problem with
    mixed mode - at least from what you describe as global groups exist in both modes.
    Universal groups require Native mode. I would try to pre create the global group for
    the domain and make sure that you are logged on as a domain administrator when
    running that application which would be required to create a global group. Looking in
    the Event Viewer system and application logs may also provide a clue. --- Steve

    "Nicole" <nbeauregard@genesys-soft.com> wrote in message
    > My company has an application that creates Global
    > Security groups on a domain controller as part of the
    > process. We are trying to have this application create
    > the global group within a domain, but continuously get
    > this error when attempting to do so. Run Time Error
    > Encountered-Abort: Error #-2147016651 Automation error
    > The server is unwilling to process the request. Could
    > it be that the server will not allow this because the
    > domain is in Mixed mode and not Native mode?

    Thanks.
    Just to clarify. The application "user" is part of the
    domain administrators group and have full control of the
    domain. We can log onto any server in the domain as this
    user and run a simple batch file that does create the
    global group in an existing Organizational Unit on the
    DC. However, when this batch file is run as part of the
    software application process, the global group creation
    fails.

    I did try and change the domain in our test environment
    to native mode, but that did not change the error.

    I have contacted the software vendor, they are looking
    into it as well. Thanks

    In article <357401c48f48$3edfd410$a301280a@phx.gbl>, in the
    microsoft.public.win2000.security news group,
    <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> says...

    > I did try and change the domain in our test environment
    > to native mode, but that did not change the error.

    Since you're dealing with global security groups and not universal
    security groups, the domain mode is completely irrelevant.

    --
    Paul Adare
    rights.

    OK. Hope they can help. I can not think of anything else offhand other than
    looking in Event Viewer for any pertinent errors in the system or
    application log that may give a hint. --- Steve

    > Thanks.
    > Just to clarify. The application "user" is part of the
    > domain administrators group and have full control of the
    > domain. We can log onto any server in the domain as this
    > user and run a simple batch file that does create the
    > global group in an existing Organizational Unit on the
    > DC. However, when this batch file is run as part of the
    > software application process, the global group creation
    > fails.
    >
    > I did try and change the domain in our test environment
    > to native mode, but that did not change the error.
    >
    > I have contacted the software vendor, they are looking
    > into it as well. Thanks

    Is that application running as a Windows Service or a GUI app? If it's a
    service it'll need to run as a domain account with privileges to create
    those Groups.

    "Nicole" <nbeauregard@genesys-soft.com> wrote in message
    > My company has an application that creates Global
    > Security groups on a domain controller as part of the
    > process. We are trying to have this application create
    > the global group within a domain, but continuously get
    > this error when attempting to do so. Run Time Error
    > Encountered-Abort: Error #-2147016651 Automation error
    > The server is unwilling to process the request. Could
    > it be that the server will not allow this because the
    > domain is in Mixed mode and not Native mode?

Security Domain Controller Windows