Native Mode vs Mixed Mode

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
August 30, 2004 11:48:08 AM

My company has an application that creates Global
Security groups on a domain controller as part of the
process. We are trying to have this application create
the global group within a domain, but continuously get
this error when attempting to do so. Run Time Error
Encountered-Abort: Error #-2147016651 Automation error
The server is unwilling to process the request. Could
it be that the server will not allow this because the
domain is in Mixed mode and not Native mode?

More about : native mode mixed mode

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 30, 2004 9:57:39 PM

I would try to contact the publisher of the software. I doubt it is a problem with
mixed mode - at least from what you describe as global groups exist in both modes.
Universal groups require Native mode. I would try to pre create the global group for
the domain and make sure that you are logged on as a domain administrator when
running that application which would be required to create a global group. Looking in
the Event Viewer system and application logs may also provide a clue. --- Steve

"Nicole" <nbeauregard@genesys-soft.com> wrote in message
> My company has an application that creates Global
> Security groups on a domain controller as part of the
> process. We are trying to have this application create
> the global group within a domain, but continuously get
> this error when attempting to do so. Run Time Error
> Encountered-Abort: Error #-2147016651 Automation error
> The server is unwilling to process the request. Could
> it be that the server will not allow this because the
> domain is in Mixed mode and not Native mode?
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 31, 2004 7:49:52 AM

Thanks.
Just to clarify. The application "user" is part of the
domain administrators group and have full control of the
domain. We can log onto any server in the domain as this
user and run a simple batch file that does create the
global group in an existing Organizational Unit on the
DC. However, when this batch file is run as part of the
software application process, the global group creation
fails.

I did try and change the domain in our test environment
to native mode, but that did not change the error.

I have contacted the software vendor, they are looking
into it as well. Thanks

a b 8 Security
August 31, 2004 11:40:50 AM

In article <357401c48f48$3edfd410$a301280a@phx.gbl>, in the
microsoft.public.win2000.security news group,
<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> says...

> I did try and change the domain in our test environment
> to native mode, but that did not change the error.

Since you're dealing with global security groups and not universal
security groups, the domain mode is completely irrelevant.

--
Paul Adare
rights.

OK. Hope they can help. I can not think of anything else offhand other than
looking in Event Viewer for any pertinent errors in the system or
application log that may give a hint. --- Steve

> Thanks.
> Just to clarify. The application "user" is part of the
> domain administrators group and have full control of the
> domain. We can log onto any server in the domain as this
> user and run a simple batch file that does create the
> global group in an existing Organizational Unit on the
> DC. However, when this batch file is run as part of the
> software application process, the global group creation
> fails.
>
> I did try and change the domain in our test environment
> to native mode, but that did not change the error.
>
> I have contacted the software vendor, they are looking
> into it as well. Thanks

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
September 1, 2004 1:18:20 PM

Is that application running as a Windows Service or a GUI app? If it's a
service it'll need to run as a domain account with privileges to create
those Groups.

!