OCZ RAM QUESTION

TheLaughingMan

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I'm kind of noobie on this subject, what softwares can tell me the volts that the memory is set at? I need higher volts to set to better timings right? Do I need to run Memtestx86 after I change the volts and timings.

I think that the JEDEC defaults all the Intel chipsets at 1.8 volts and 5-5-5-15.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
I'm kind of noobie on this subject, what softwares can tell me the volts that the memory is set at?

CPU-z can tell you basic timing question but not volts. ITE Smart Guardian should be able to show you the voltage for your RAM. You can also view all this by going into the BIOS screen before boot up.

I need higher volts to set to better timings right?

In general, yes. There is a limit to the voltage you can apply to your memory without frying it and certain modules actually like less voltage. Only one way to find out, experiment (with in reason :wink: ).

Do I need to run Memtestx86 after I change the volts and timings.

After you change the timings you should run MemTest86 or Orthos, something needs to be done to ensure stability before you start working on the computer.

I think that the JEDEC defaults all the Intel chipsets at 1.8 volts and 5-5-5-15.

I am not sure I agree with you about JEDEC. The memory defaults to timings embedded on the SPD on each module (if the mobo can handle such timings). JEDEC sets the standards for speed only, as far as I know.

TheLaughingMan

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Thanks. Couldn't find what the volts are set at in BIOs (have F4), so I'm gonna use the that ITE Smart Guardian to see my current volts. Gonna set the volts to 2.1v and timings at 4-4-4-12 and run Memtest.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Thanks. Couldn't find what the volts are set at in BIOs (have F4), so I'm gonna use the that ITE Smart Guardian to see my current volts. Gonna set the volts to 2.1v and timings at 4-4-4-12 and run Memtest.

Alright sounds like a plan. Keep us posted. :D

TheLaughingMan

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
is ITE smart guardian only for the nvidia chipset, because I got the intel chipset. And for some strange reason, I can't install easytune on my computer from site or disc. :evil:

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
is ITE smart guardian only for the nvidia chipset, because I got the intel chipset. And for some strange reason, I can't install easytune on my computer from site or disc. :evil:

Weird, ITE works on my ATI chipset mobo.... I'll look into it when I get home tonight.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004

Weird, ITE works on my ATI chipset mobo.... I'll look into it when I get home tonight.

ITE should work on on an Intel chipset, its not a chipset specific utility as far as I know. It is a pain in the butt ot get the right version because their website sucks, but it's on there. Let me know if You can't get it.