Mid - Top range gaming homebuild

Katamarino

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Hi guys, many people recommended I come to this site with my questions! I started out on Friday researching a new machine, hopelessly newbie, and feel that I've learnt one hell of a lot since then, but still could use a little guidance.

Processor:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, Socket 775, 2.4 GHz, 1066MHz FSB, Conroe Core, 4MB Cache

Motherboard:
Asus P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP iP965, S775, PCI-E (x16), DDR2 533/667/800, SATA II, SATA RAID, ATX

Memory
4GB (4x1GB) CorsairTwinX XMS2, DDR2 PC2-6400 (800), 240 Pins, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 5-5-5-12

GPU
512MB Sapphire RX1950Pro, PCI-E(x16), Mem 1400MHz, GDDR3, GPU 580MHz, 36Pipes CrossFire Master/Slave

Storage
320 Gb Seagate ST3320620AS Barracuda 7200.10, SATA300, 7200 rpm, 16MB Cache, 8.5 ms, NCQ
250 Gb IDE Drive, already owned.

Optical
NEC ND-7170A-0S Silver x18 DVD±RW Dual Layer (with Ram Support ) DVD-Writer OEM UK (SATA or IDE?)
1 x IDE DVD reader, already owned.

Power
500w AKASA PAXPower ATX 2.2 Ultra Quiet Clean PSU

OS
Win XP Pro 32 Bit

Now, I have a few questions, and some background:

I intend to buy a good value graphics card now, and maybe upgrade to twin DX10 cards in a year or so, so do not with to change the card. I do not intend any overclocking at all.

1) Is this motherboard suitable? I have heard good things about ASUS in general, but these forums seem to have a lot of issues posted about this board...
2) Can I easily run the SATA HDD as master and the IDE HDD as slave? Should I just buy another IDE?
3) On top of this, can I run one IDE and one SATA DVD drive, or should I just buy 2 SATA (or another IDE even?)
4) Is this memory recommended, and compatible well with this board?
5) I was looking at the Intel Bad Axe 2 board as an alternative to this one, any recomendations?

So in conclusion. things I am still undecided on are the board, and the memory, and possibly the DVD drive type. I look forward to tapping your knowledge!

cutthroat

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
1. That motherboard will be sufficient, but I wonder why you are going with the expensive P5B Deluxe, there are other cheaper P5B models with less integrated stuff that are cheaper. Depends what you need integrated into the motherboard.

2&3. You can run both HDD's, not as master and slave though, they will be on totally different IDE controllers. You might find the PATA drive to be awfully slow, but if you only use it for storage you'll be fine.

4. The memory is fine, but overkill. You do not need 4GB for windows XP, and filling all 4 slots will give you worse performance. Wait to upgrade to 4GB when you can get 2x2GB sticks and are moving to Vista.

5. Too many choices for motherboard, depends on what you need.

deusex

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Why are you going to waste ~150$ right now when you can get "twin DX10 cards" around the corner?

The 8600s are releasing next quarter, and you can get a pair for~300$

Katamarino

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
1. I am particularly taken by the on board wireless, and the ability to run Crossfire if I decide to upgrade to twin DX10 cards in 12 months time (it would not be sooner).

2&3. I have gone for a different approach now - 2 IDE DVD drives on the single IDE slot on the board, one SATA HD, and the IDE HD in an external mount with USB2 connection, for data backup only.

4. With my choice of 4GB, I was hoping to have the machine ready for Vista without a further upgrade. I'd rather spend a bit more on 4GB now than buy 2GB now and then have to buy an entirely new 4GB later! Why does using all 4 slots reduce performance? If it's significant then I will rethink!

5. Motherboard wise, I need stability, good handling of the Duo Core 2 processors, good RAM handling/recognition and good graphics expandability (ie maybe dual ATI cards in a year). I'm no expert, so I value a mobo that 'will just work' without having to get dirty in the BIOS!

As for the graphics point by the next poster, it would be at least 12 months before I upgraded, so dont mind spending $12.50 a month or so to get a nice card to see me through!