AMD is now saying K10 is 70% faster?????

LordPope

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070212/20070211005059.html?.v=1

don't shoot the messenger... i put 5 question marks in the thread title.

This release contains forward-looking statements regarding AMD's product introduction schedule and the features and specifications of future quad-core processor products, which are made pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995.

mpjesse

Splendid
Simulations conducted in AMD laboratories indicate that certain database applications will see performance improvements up to 70 percent and certain floating point applications will experience performance gains of up to 40 percent over platforms powered by current dual-core AMD Opteron processors.

UP TO 70% for fcuk's sake. And why not? Most database applications are designed to use multiple processors. Like Oracle.

Major_Spittle

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
maybe they are taking this time as an opportunity to release "their" review on the chip before other people will be able to and show how wrong their statements are. It probably relates more to the 70%+ drop in their stock than to performance of their chip.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Simulations conducted in AMD laboratories indicate that certain database applications will see performance improvements up to 70 percent and certain floating point applications will experience performance gains of up to 40 percent over platforms powered by current dual-core AMD Opteron processors.

UP TO 70% for fcuk's sake. And why not? Most database applications are designed to use multiple processors. Like Oracle.

And in "CERTAIN APPLICATIONS".

@ Lordpope,

This is news, and worthy of pointing out, but once again, you choose to take the info out of context.

You have said you like to throw stuff out there and watch reactions, but you do not. As you have in the past, here you deliberately pervaricate information in such a manner as to cause conflict.

AMD did not say " K10 is 70% faster". As Jesse pointed out, buy quoting the actual article rather than taking information out of context, AMD "said"
simulations of certain database applications indicate performance gains of up to 70%.

The title of your post is misleading and worse, for those who dont read or understand the article may falsely raise hopes by leaving the impression that Barcelona will offer a 70% across the board performance increase. Furthermore you clearly did not read the disclaimer at the bottom of the article.

Cautionary Statement

This release contains forward-looking statements regarding AMD's product introduction schedule and the features and specifications of future quad-core processor products, which are made pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Investors are cautioned that forward-looking statements in this release involve risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from the company's current expectations. Risks include the possibility that the company will not achieve its current product introduction schedule and that customer adoption and infrastructure support of quad-core AMD64 processors will not occur as expected. We urge investors to review in detail the risks and uncertainties in the company's Securities and Exchange Commission filings, including but not limited to the Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 25, 2005 and AMD's quarterly report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended October 1, 2006.

The above is legal speak for: "What we said may or may not be true, and under the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, we cannot be held legaly accountable for inaccuracies " which in short says the claims may or may not be accurate

LordPope

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006

They are referring to Opteron Dual, not Clovertown.

I didnt mention CLOVERTOWN either

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

So what are you saying it's 70% faster than?

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
I dont like this part in the news release
"strengthening the industry-leading performance-per-watt "

are they really saying performance per watt?
that makes me think there is little to no performance increase but they just figured out how to save more power. now there is nothing wrong with saving energy but I wouldn't call it a 70% increase in performance. maybe a 70% increase in power savings. or a 20% increase in performance and a 50% increase in power savings or something like that.

Any car company that would make this statement:

"Our 2007 Edsel has 70% more power per mpg"

would get laughed out of the biz. :lol:

mwswami

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2007
A quad core is 40-70% faster than a dual core in multi-threaded applications. That's pretty much expected.

LordPope

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006

So what are you saying it's 70% faster than?

an Opteron...thats what the article states

LordPope

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
maybe they are taking this time as an opportunity to release "their" review on the chip before other people will be able to and show how wrong their statements are. It probably relates more to the 70%+ drop in their stock than to performance of their chip.

arent you clever

Major_Spittle

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006

arent you clever

Need a hug?

LordPope

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006

arent you clever

Need a hug?

nope, your girl has got that coverered....

Major_Spittle

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006

arent you clever

Need a hug?

nope, your girl has got that coverered....

Dude, I'm gay. He isn't a girl. :lol:

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
The above is legal speak for: "What we said may or may not be true, and under the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, we cannot be held legaly accountable for inaccuracies " which in short says the claims may or may not be accurate

uh... that appears in EVERY release that looks at the future, be it AMD, Intel, MacDonalds or anyone. They always cover themselves even if they have every reason to believe what they say is true. It does NOT protect them from lying. If they lie theya re not protected by the safe harbor.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
so i just found out the benchmark they are using to prove its 70% faster.
first they took a barcelona and set it on the ground then took a C2d and set it on the ground next to it. then they pushed the c2D with their finger and clocked how fast it was going then just kicked the K10 and clocked that.
and voila!!! the k10 was 70% faster!
there you have it intel fan boys k10 is gonna kick your C2D a$$.

Are you sure you stopped drinking after that South Park ep? :lol: