Sign in with
Your question

AMD is now saying K10 is 70% faster?????

Last response: in CPUs
February 12, 2007 3:56:17 PM

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070212/20070211005059.html?.v=1

don't shoot the messenger... i put 5 question marks in the thread title.

This release contains forward-looking statements regarding AMD's product introduction schedule and the features and specifications of future quad-core processor products, which are made pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995.

More about : amd k10 faster

February 12, 2007 3:59:57 PM

Quote:
Simulations conducted in AMD laboratories indicate that certain database applications will see performance improvements up to 70 percent and certain floating point applications will experience performance gains of up to 40 percent over platforms powered by current dual-core AMD Opteron processors.

UP TO 70% for fcuk's sake. And why not? Most database applications are designed to use multiple processors. Like Oracle.
February 12, 2007 4:08:26 PM

wasnt there just a thread where it states the K10 will suck in Oracle

i am lost.
February 12, 2007 4:15:42 PM

maybe they are taking this time as an opportunity to release "their" review on the chip before other people will be able to and show how wrong their statements are. It probably relates more to the 70%+ drop in their stock than to performance of their chip.
February 12, 2007 4:26:39 PM

Quote:
Simulations conducted in AMD laboratories indicate that certain database applications will see performance improvements up to 70 percent and certain floating point applications will experience performance gains of up to 40 percent over platforms powered by current dual-core AMD Opteron processors.

UP TO 70% for fcuk's sake. And why not? Most database applications are designed to use multiple processors. Like Oracle.

And in "CERTAIN APPLICATIONS".

@ Lordpope,

This is news, and worthy of pointing out, but once again, you choose to take the info out of context.

You have said you like to throw stuff out there and watch reactions, but you do not. As you have in the past, here you deliberately pervaricate information in such a manner as to cause conflict.

AMD did not say " K10 is 70% faster". As Jesse pointed out, buy quoting the actual article rather than taking information out of context, AMD "said"
simulations of certain database applications indicate performance gains of up to 70%.

The title of your post is misleading and worse, for those who dont read or understand the article may falsely raise hopes by leaving the impression that Barcelona will offer a 70% across the board performance increase. Furthermore you clearly did not read the disclaimer at the bottom of the article.

Quote:
Cautionary Statement

This release contains forward-looking statements regarding AMD's product introduction schedule and the features and specifications of future quad-core processor products, which are made pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Investors are cautioned that forward-looking statements in this release involve risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from the company's current expectations. Risks include the possibility that the company will not achieve its current product introduction schedule and that customer adoption and infrastructure support of quad-core AMD64 processors will not occur as expected. We urge investors to review in detail the risks and uncertainties in the company's Securities and Exchange Commission filings, including but not limited to the Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 25, 2005 and AMD's quarterly report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended October 1, 2006.

The above is legal speak for: "What we said may or may not be true, and under the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, we cannot be held legaly accountable for inaccuracies " which in short says the claims may or may not be accurate
February 12, 2007 4:53:17 PM

Quote:
I dont like this part in the news release
"strengthening the industry-leading performance-per-watt "

are they really saying performance per watt?
that makes me think there is little to no performance increase but they just figured out how to save more power. now there is nothing wrong with saving energy but I wouldn't call it a 70% increase in performance. maybe a 70% increase in power savings. or a 20% increase in performance and a 50% increase in power savings or something like that.

Any car company that would make this statement:

"Our 2007 Edsel has 70% more power per mpg"

would get laughed out of the biz. :lol: 
February 12, 2007 4:56:51 PM

A quad core is 40-70% faster than a dual core in multi-threaded applications. That's pretty much expected.
February 12, 2007 5:05:35 PM

Quote:
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070212/20070211005059.html?.v=1

don't shoot the messenger... i put 5 question marks in the thread title.

They are referring to Opteron Dual, not Clovertown.

I didnt mention CLOVERTOWN either

So what are you saying it's 70% faster than?

an Opteron...thats what the article states
February 12, 2007 6:48:32 PM

Quote:
It probably relates more to the 70%+ drop in their stock than to performance of their chip.

:lol: 
February 12, 2007 6:53:49 PM

Quote:
maybe they are taking this time as an opportunity to release "their" review on the chip before other people will be able to and show how wrong their statements are. It probably relates more to the 70%+ drop in their stock than to performance of their chip.

arent you clever
February 12, 2007 6:59:17 PM

Quote:

arent you clever

Need a hug?
February 12, 2007 7:03:48 PM

Quote:

arent you clever

Need a hug?

nope, your girl has got that coverered....
February 12, 2007 7:05:11 PM

The 70% increase is in some database operations, and that is a 70% increase over today’s AMD processor.
February 12, 2007 7:07:22 PM

Quote:

arent you clever

Need a hug?

nope, your girl has got that coverered....

Dude, I'm gay. He isn't a girl. :lol: 
February 12, 2007 7:26:16 PM

Quote:

Dude, I'm gay. He isn't a girl. :lol: 

Hey, don't look at me. Just because we're both officers, doesn't mean that... er... y'know... :oops: 
February 12, 2007 7:35:24 PM

Quote:

The above is legal speak for: "What we said may or may not be true, and under the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, we cannot be held legaly accountable for inaccuracies " which in short says the claims may or may not be accurate

uh... that appears in EVERY release that looks at the future, be it AMD, Intel, MacDonalds or anyone. They always cover themselves even if they have every reason to believe what they say is true. It does NOT protect them from lying. If they lie theya re not protected by the safe harbor.
February 12, 2007 7:37:15 PM

Quote:
wasnt there just a thread where it states the K10 will suck in Oracle

i am lost.

No what that thread was talking about is the licensing model for Oracle. Supposedly the way they license, a Barcelona will cost more than Clovertown.
February 12, 2007 7:41:42 PM

Let me summarize:

In SOME multi-threaded applications, the NEXT generation's AMD QUAD-CORE with be faster than THIS generation's AMD DUAL-CORE.

This translates into whoopty freaking-do.
February 12, 2007 7:45:01 PM

Quote:
Let me summarize:

In SOME multi-threaded applications, the NEXT generation's AMD QUAD-CORE with be faster than THIS generation's AMD DUAL-CORE.

This translates into whoopty freaking-do.

Word.
February 12, 2007 8:01:14 PM

did any of you see the Hexus.TV interview with AMD? There was claims of huge boosts over single threaded applications.
February 12, 2007 8:05:49 PM

Quote:
did any of you see the Hexus.TV interview with AMD? There was claims of huge boosts over single threaded applications.

Are they pulling Reverse HyperThreading back out of the closet?
February 12, 2007 8:07:25 PM

Quote:
so i just found out the benchmark they are using to prove its 70% faster.
first they took a barcelona and set it on the ground then took a C2d and set it on the ground next to it. then they pushed the c2D with their finger and clocked how fast it was going then just kicked the K10 and clocked that.
and voila!!! the k10 was 70% faster!
there you have it intel fan boys k10 is gonna kick your C2D a$$.

Are you sure you stopped drinking after that South Park ep? :lol: 
February 12, 2007 8:11:53 PM

Quote:
your supposed to stop?

Yes, booze is not packaged in fifths so that you have five a day! :lol: 
February 12, 2007 9:09:38 PM

Quote:

Any car company that made a 2007 Edsel...would get laughed out of business(like with the original Edsel). :lol: 
February 12, 2007 11:22:50 PM

Quote:
@ Lordpope,

This is news, and worthy of pointing out, but once again, you choose to take the info out of context.

You have said you like to throw stuff out there and watch reactions, but you do not. As you have in the past, here you deliberately pervaricate information in such a manner as to cause conflict.

Threads such as this are designed to test one's reading comprehension level. It's fun to watch the grades come in -- to see who passes and who fails. :lol: 
February 13, 2007 1:25:21 AM

haven't really dug into it too much, but apparently some people at xtremesystems.org have or had access to ES samples and have confirmed barcelona is, in real world apps, about 10% faster than C2D.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12...

it's not 40 or 70%, but faster is faster, even just 10%. however, I wonder how it will overclock.

hopefully there'll be some benchmarks soon.
February 13, 2007 2:58:20 AM

Your topic titles are worse than the Inquirer
February 13, 2007 4:32:28 AM

The AMD links on your xtremesystems.org link don't work. There aren't any real benchmarks yet. Do you really think AMD would let ES chips out into the wild without tooting their own horn really loudly and posting a few real benchmark results? All we have is:

"Simulations conducted in AMD laboratories indicate that certain database applications will see performance improvements up to 70 percent and certain floating point applications will experience performance gains of up to 40 percent over platforms powered by current dual-core AMD Opteron processors."

They want an Intel killer badly. If they had one do you think they'd be ambiguous about the benchmarks they used?
February 13, 2007 7:28:19 AM

i have a bunni
February 13, 2007 7:38:53 AM

Quote:

Any car company that made a 2007 Edsel...would get laughed out of business(like with the original Edsel). :lol: 

8O 8O 8O hey I am selling that as a colectors item,geeze gimme a break :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

Hey, take it easy on the Edsel. It's one of my favorite cars and belongs in my collection right alongside the BMW Isetta, AMC Pacer, Pontiac Aztec and this gem!

February 13, 2007 6:39:56 PM

Quote:

uh... that appears in EVERY release that looks at the future, be it AMD, Intel, MacDonalds or anyone. They always cover themselves even if they have every reason to believe what they say is true. It does NOT protect them from lying. If they lie theya re not protected by the safe harbor.

No shit.
February 13, 2007 7:59:58 PM

Quote:
i have a bunni

8O 8O 8O you gonna cook it? :p 

Just make sure your gf doesn't boil it. :lol: 
a b à CPUs
February 13, 2007 8:27:29 PM

Quote:
It probably relates more to the 70%+ drop in their stock than to performance of their chip.

:lol: 

roflmao
!