Windows sound problem

syhburj

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
has anyone solved the problem of installing Creative SB X-F Xtreme audio on to Windows 7 and still be able to access the Control Panel without the Windows Explorer
Fault

Solution
Have you disabled onboard sound from the bios?

When you turn the computer On, hold down the DEL key on the keybord, this will allow you to enter the bios setup. Look in your manual, for further instructions.

If problem persists, disconnect the power cable, open up your case and take the sound card out. (touch some piece of metal before, before touching components).

Put the power cable back on. Turn the system on.

Download Driver Sweeper and install it http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/ . Once installed, run it and remove all creative drivers.

Switch off your system, disconnect the power cable and put the sound card back in to a different PCI slot, not the same one that was in.

Put the power cable back on. Connect...

syhburj

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
Hi Blitser Thanks for the info - unfortunately it didn't, work after loading up the CD it came up with this message, " not compatable with this system"
Back to the drawing board I think

syhburj

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
Hi Since my last entry I have decieded to build another PC (much faster of course) and then test out the offending sound card and if it still fails the only common factor which hasn't been changed is the Win 7 system. I shall then be looking for a friendly body who is running Win 7 for the final test.
cheers Jeff

ibnsina

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
Have you disabled onboard sound from the bios?

When you turn the computer On, hold down the DEL key on the keybord, this will allow you to enter the bios setup. Look in your manual, for further instructions.

If problem persists, disconnect the power cable, open up your case and take the sound card out. (touch some piece of metal before, before touching components).

Put the power cable back on. Turn the system on.

Download Driver Sweeper and install it http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/ . Once installed, run it and remove all creative drivers.

Switch off your system, disconnect the power cable and put the sound card back in to a different PCI slot, not the same one that was in.

Put the power cable back on. Connect your speaker cable to the green socket. Turn the system on.
See if windows detect the sound card, check if it’s installed correctly from Device Manager (control panel).

Any sound?

If not then Run Windows update, select check for updates , then click on Optional updates are avialable. Is there creative sound card on list, if yes tick it and click OK? This might take several minutes, once installed restart your system.

Any sound?

If not then go to creative website and download windows 7 drivers from there. Run the setup files, and follow the screen instructions. http://support.creative.com/Products/Products.aspx?catid=1

Do restart your system.

Any sound?

Solution

syhburj

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009

15th Dec 2009
Why didn't I think of that and more to the point why didn't Creative support suggest it.Oh well we live and learn.
Anyway all I did was to restart, disable the onboard sound and boot up - Wonderfull , sound and NO Fault - Bliss.
Thank you ibnsina