Sign in with
Your question

Absolute safest overlock for Asus P5B Deluxe?

Last response: in Overclocking
February 12, 2007 4:07:18 PM

Hey all - I'm a complete newbie when it comes to overclocking, and frankly have been quite hesitant about doing it. However, I've been told the P5B is a phenomenal overlclocker, and from what I've read, it's pretty safe to conservatively push the E6600 C2D to about 3Ghz. I'm using 2GB of Corsair PC-6400 (set at DDR-800 in the BIOS) and was wondering what would be the absolute safest overclock keeping the following in mind:

1. I'm using only standard air-cooling. This includes the stock fan, as well as two case fans.

2. I don't want to mess with the voltage at all - I've burned more than enough stuff for a lifetime!

3. The changes I make, if they fail, won't destroy any internal components and can be easily reversed.

So, basically, I'd like to do some mild overlclocking (none of the crazy 400Mhz FSB stuff) to bump up the CPU some. But, being new at this and after investing a fair amount in this new system, I'd like to keep it purely safe.

If you'd be willing to give me your thoughts, I'd be most appreciative. If you need any more info about my system, I will be happy to provide it. And if you honestly feel I shouldn't be dabbling with overclocking at all, I will certainly appreciate that opinion, as well. Thanks!
February 12, 2007 4:38:02 PM

i would normally not recommend this but in your case id say use asus' overclocking software
February 12, 2007 4:56:11 PM

Quote:
i would normally not recommend this but in your case id say use asus' overclocking software

Why wouldn't you normally recommend it? Is it not safe?
Related resources
February 12, 2007 5:14:09 PM

Nothing crazy about 400MHz FSB, infact I would say that this would be the sweet spot with your memory. Possibly switch the multiplier down to 8x and run the CPU at 3.2GHz if you are worried about long term life, and do not want to change the vcore, this would give you a very fast setup.
February 12, 2007 5:16:35 PM

It's not that it's not safe...It's a safe form of overclocking because it doesn't push the hardware to it's limits. It leaves a large gap on ram timing and other areas to leave a safe room. But comparing it to a manual overclock where you actually set your own timings, voltages, etc....The performance difference is rather large...
February 12, 2007 5:20:38 PM

Quote:
Nothing crazy about 400MHz FSB, infact I would say that this would be the sweet spot with your memory. Possibly switch the multiplier down to 8x and run the CPU at 3.2GHz if you are worried about long term life, and do not want to change the vcore, this would give you a very fast setup.

Would I need to change anything in conjunction with the multiplier, or would that be pretty much it? And can I get the Asus overclocking software from their site? I appreciate your patience in answering what must be rudimentary questions.
February 12, 2007 5:26:23 PM

Quote:

Would I need to change anything in conjunction with the multiplier, or would that be pretty much it? And can I get the Asus overclocking software from their site? I appreciate your patience in answering what must be rudimentary questions.

Yes you can nab it right from the site. I have a Asus mobo myself and tested out it's overclocking program before I switched to a manual overclock. Just make sure the mobo supports it. for my Asus p5ad2 premium it was noted as "AI Booster"...Should be the same.
February 12, 2007 5:41:14 PM

I will check it out. I assume the program has safeguards to prevent users from turning their boards into a pile of ash?
February 12, 2007 5:50:27 PM

It's a bit limited in what it can do. I'm not sure if it has safety features...Hopefully it does if the cpu his critical temperatures. But just to be safe...Go from one step to the next and make sure you test your full load temps to get an idea of how hot it gets. You don't want to use too high of an overclock and get the temps too high. It has a temperature monitor built into the application. But also download Asus Probe to be safe. It gives temperature monitors of motherboard and cpu...I believe it also gives voltage information as well but I'm not sure on that..Haven't used it for some time.
February 12, 2007 6:01:22 PM

Quote:

3.2 Ghz is a good speed for the P5B and E6400. I got this with a 400 fsb and a LOWERED Vcore of 1.4 volts. The lowered volts help keep my cpu cool. If I lower the volts more, the system is not stable. If I raise the Mhz, I need to raise the volts. So I am happy where I am. My cpu temp is 45c idle/ 55c full load. I still didn't have luck lowering my RAM timings.
!