Delete Audit Trail

Is there anyway to tell who deleted files ? I have users
that come to me and tell me they have a folder that used
to have files in it but now they are gone. I was looking
to see if there was any way to tell who last accessed
that folder and deleted the files that were in that
folder.

Configuring auditing is a two-step process. First you need to configure an
audit policy for your domain:

To configure an audit policy setting for a domain controller, follow these
steps:
1.. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and
then click Active Directory Users and Computers.
2.. Click Advanced Features on the View menu.
3.. Right-click Domain Controllers, and then click Properties.
4.. Click the Group Policy tab, click Default Domain Controller Policy,
and then click Edit.
5.. Click Computer Configuration, double-click Windows Settings,
double-click Security Settings, double-click Local Policies, and then
double-click Audit Policy.
6.. In the right pane, right-click Audit Directory Services Access, and
then click Security.
7.. Click Define These Policy Settings, and then click to select one or
both of the following check boxes:
a.. Success: Click to select this check box to audit successful attempts
for the event category.
b.. Failure: Click to select this check box to audit failed attempts for
the event category.
8.. Right-click any other event category that you want to audit, and then
click Security.
9.. Click OK.
10.. Because the changes that you make to your computer's audit policy
setting take effect only when the policy setting is propagated (or applied)
to your computer, complete one of the following steps to initiate policy
propagation:
a.. Type secedit /refreshpolicy machine_policy at the command prompt,
press ENTER, and then restart the computer.

-or-
b.. Wait for automatic policy propagation, which occurs at regular
intervals that you can configure. By default, policy propagation occurs
every eight hours.
11.. Open the Security log to view logged events. NOTE: If you are either
a domain or an enterprise administrator, you can enable security auditing
for workstations, member servers, and domain controllers remotely.
After that, you need to enable the specific folder(s) that you want to have
audited:

How To: Set, Remove or Change Auditing for a File or Folder:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;301640

--
******************************
Laura E. Hunter - MCSE, MCT, MVP

"Phil Andersen" <pandersen@mrgmail.com> wrote in message
> Is there anyway to tell who deleted files ? I have users
> that come to me and tell me they have a folder that used
> to have files in it but now they are gone. I was looking
> to see if there was any way to tell who last accessed
> that folder and deleted the files that were in that
> folder.

Not unless you have enabled auditing of object access first and then configured
auditing on those folder for the two delete permissions which would generate Event
ID's 560 and 562 in the security log. You also may want to review permissions on your
folders so that only authorized users have modify or full control permissions. Note
that quite often files can be recovered by file recovery programs, many which are
free. If the files were deleted through the Recycle Bin, their recovered name may be
totally different than what it originally was though once you open the file you
should be able to see what it is or was. --- Steve

http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/system/fwdatarecovery.html --- free file recovery
tools.