Gage Ibbetson

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
I want to build my own computer and I compared prices for what I want on each site and they're pretty much identical ($40 difference).

The question is, who to order from? Will I get faster/cheaper shipping with one or the other or maybe better warranties? Better customer service?

So, which website should I order from and why and also, where do you order from and why?

:)

While TD is good, I've used NE for the vast majority of my purchases for the such matters. They are quick and have decent customer service.

Have a look at the various threads here in the OE forums about both to help with your decision.

I've used both NewEgg & TigerDirect and both are good. If you are doing a build, my personally would go with NewEgg. I am a moderator on another board and when someone comes in looking to do a build, that is where I usually go to make up a parts list.

addiktet

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
This is a personal opinion only and should be treated as such...

I have used both companies for purchases and these are my experiences.

Newegg. PROS: Good prices,wide variety, No taxes, lowershipping cost.

CONS: Misleading shipping details, Slow order processing, Incompetent CS team.

Tiger direct PROS: Quick order processing, Good variety, Low prices

CONS:Charge taxes for some states, More expensive shipping.

Not much of a difference really all companies have thier pro's and cons. I was happier with my tiger direct order but that may not be true for all i just may have caught newegg on a bad day.

i suggest trying to make the computer you want with both companies and look at the bottom price.

casemods

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
I prefer newegg.

tiger direct is trying to cheat me out of the $10 credit I earned for price watch.

I'm trying to get batteries that are under $10 shipped including tax and they are making up an excuse about the shipping so I can't just get a free item.

I now have a case in point. Yesterday Morning I was at TigerDirect for some reason. Anyway, decided to check their 1366 based processors. I was shocked, as they had the Core i7 960 for $316.99. I then went over to NewEgg and they had the thing for $309.99. I ordered one to replace this 920 I have in here. Sometimes, there is a fairly decent price difference.

But what was the shipping charge for both and do you live in a state where you have to pay Tax on one or the other -- ie. I live in Texas so Tigerdirect charges 8.75% tax so using your example the i7 960 currently

Tigerdirect : 299.99 +7.00 shipping + 19.21 Tax = $326.20 delivered

New egg : 309.99 + Free shipping an 0 Tax = 309.99 delivered

Difference $16.21 less on newegg for me ! (this is why you have to check the total cost not just the listed price when ordering online !)

Also shows how much difference a day makes when ordering - as the price on tigerdirect has changed $17 since you posted or Newegg would have been $33.21 cheaper !

No. I am In Va, so don't get hit with the sales tax ( 5 % ). At TigerDirect's price that I saw at the time, I saved $14.00 at NewEgg. They didn't waste much time bringing the price down ( Would've been $306.99 w/ shipping from TigerDirect with the new price). I ordered that thing from NewEgg Tuesday morning and it is scheduled for delivery today.

galeener

Distinguished
Have to watch Frys they have been known to package a return back up and sell it for full retail. Also Amazon sometimes has good prices.
I usually go with Newegg.

I'm in Va, so woulf only get hot with the shipping at TigerDirect for a total of $306.99, a $3 difference. You are right about checking the total price and not just the listed price. I've also foung it to your advantage to look for for Combo deals such as Motherboard + Processor when you are planning a build.

Daplinksta

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
Most cpu's from either Tiger or the Egg will ship for free...there are exceptions. I would say Newegg, they usually have the best price and for everyday parts and they have a fair selection. For anykind of mod supplies I would recommend Performancepc out of FA or if you absolutely positively can't find the bling anywhere else hit frozen cpu (high buck)

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Tiger Direct has the worst customer service reps I have EVER had the displeasure of dealing with and inflated prices on their products as well as shipping. To explain quickly: I inquired about a item and was treated like an unintelligent, unimportant, nothing by the rep. He completely ignored what I was asking and just started blurting out answers without understanding my question just to find out if the had a specific item I was looking for in stock. He constantly talked over me, spoke quickly like he was about to go to lunch or home for the day, and treated me in a condescending manner. This is unacceptable and the will never receive my business or a recommendation from me.

Newegg.com on the other hand has the BEST customer service I have ever had the pleasure of doing business with and truly care about their customers and it shows, in the products they sell and in providing the best value to their customers. I have had to RMA a few products through them now and the process is so easy and painless, I will not ever consider buying electronics anywhere else.

These opinions are just that opinions. I am not affiliated with either of these sites.

tigerb2b

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011

Guyserbun007

Reputable
Jul 14, 2015
I agreed Tigerdiret is way WORSE in terms of costumer service or keeping their promises. I bought $2000+ worth of desktop parts last Dec, and the rep (Casey Taylor) has confirmed me number of times will match any price drops within a month, the products dropped more than $100 within a month, I have tried getting back the price difference they promised for 10 times from the same and different reps, they just ignored me or made excuses. Never will I buy anything from them again.

Chemz11

Reputable
Feb 8, 2015
I use both Tiger has some things that Egg doesn't, but Tiger has loads of rebates so before you get something on there you gotta double check if its the actual price or price after rebate :\

BonRurgandy

Reputable
Aug 19, 2015
Ive used TD and NE and I would have to say that they are about the same experience for me. NE ships faster however. 3-5 days as apposed to 1 - 2 weeks, at least to my area.

At TD they have "House Brand" parts that are so-so quality. Like ULTRA PSUs. Haven't seen this at Newegg. TD is also very rebate driven. They count on people not filing all the rebates to make their money. A couple times over the years I had rebate trouble there. They blamed the mfg. and were no help at all. I used them mostly because they were local for me. In a mail order situation I prefer Newegg. But I still use both.

Michael_299

Commendable
May 20, 2016
Newegg definitely edges out TigerDirect on Customer Service. Particularly if you end up having any issues and need to do a return. I have dealt with both on many occasions and have found Newegg to be the best in terms of dealing with issues such as exchanges and returns. Their customer service is very professional and responsive and that makes all the difference when you do have an issue.