Sign in with
Your question

AMD 5200 ...part 2 (lol)

Last response: in CPUs
February 12, 2007 5:40:07 PM

i was googling to get help with OCing my 5200 and found this forum and then i read jack's posts in the amd 5200 heatsink thread....
wow, jack, i am impressed. you know your stuff and you write so eloquently.
i wish i had read your posts before i bought the amd. lol alas.
unlike the original starter of 5200 thread (facedown...somethin?), i already had an am2 socket setup so i didnt have much of a choice and didn't wanna spend too much money to build an intel system from scratch. i have always been an AMD fan but since the E6000 release from Intel. i feel AMD let me down.

so i'll have to make the best with my amd for the time being. i got it cheap though. $239 for the chip at newegg(love those guys)
so now i am thinkin of OCing this puppy and maybe it will get past the E6400 performance...maybe? lol
got my fingers crossed.
if anyone here knows something about OCing this chip please hit me up on here or PM me or e-mail. which ever u like. p.s. i am not looking for instructions. just some numbers... cuz i know some poeple have successfully OCed this chip to 3.0+ mark. so any insight on this matter would be grealy appreciated.

More about : amd 5200 part lol

February 12, 2007 5:42:13 PM

Quote:
i was googling to get help with OCing my 5200 and found this forum and then i read jack's posts in the amd 5200 heatsink thread....
wow, jack, i am impressed. you know your stuff and you write so eloquently.
i wish i had read your posts before i bought the amd. lol alas.
unlike the original starter of 5200 thread (facedown...somethin?), i already had an am2 socket setup so i didnt have much of a choice and didn't wanna spend too much money to build an intel system from scratch. i have always been an AMD fan but since the E6000 release from Intel. i feel AMD let me down.

so i'll have to make the best with my amd for the time being. i got it cheap though. $239 for the chip at newegg(love those guys)
so now i am thinkin of OCing this puppy and maybe it will get past the E6400 performance...maybe? lol
got my fingers crossed.
if anyone here knows something about OCing please hit me up on here or PM me or e-mail. which ever u like
again, Jack, u r da MAN.

How could AMD let you down by another company releasing a new chip after 3 years?

I'll never understand any of you.
February 12, 2007 5:47:35 PM

hey thanks for your very helpful reply. u r awesome....(insert sarcasm smily here...)
Related resources
February 12, 2007 6:17:01 PM

Quote:
hey thanks for your very helpful reply. u r awesome....(insert sarcasm smily here...)

I wasn't being sarcastic. A $239 5200+ is awesome. It is faster than the 6400 at SOME things, but for the most part, I'd like to see someone sit the two side by side and record the differences in responsiveness.

I would say that you won't be able to tell the difference without bencahmarks.
February 12, 2007 7:46:44 PM

thanks for the links mate.
:) 
February 13, 2007 2:39:14 PM

Quote:

I wasn't being sarcastic. A $239 5200+ is awesome. It is faster than the 6400 at SOME things, but for the most part, I'd like to see someone sit the two side by side and record the differences in responsiveness.

I would say that you won't be able to tell the difference without bencahmarks.
So you'd buy the slower one? Besides, I bet there are scenarios in which the difference is noticeable, like gaming, burning CDs and the like.
February 13, 2007 3:06:33 PM

The 5200+ is already equal to an E6400 at stock in most tasks. the 6400+ will OC much more, but your 5200+ should hit 2.8-3.0Ghz fairly easily (on air, probably).
February 13, 2007 3:14:26 PM

Quote:

I would say that you won't be able to tell the difference without benchmarks.

I have to agree with you in this case. with the actual price of these two processors, the 5200 is a good buy for the guy who doesn't want to overclock or upgrade in 2 years. You canĀ“t note the performance difference without benches and I think most of the people wouldn't mind to wait more 10 min (they wouldn't know how long it would last) in a 6 hour rendering.
February 13, 2007 3:22:23 PM

Quote:
The 5200+ is already equal to an E6400 at stock in most tasks. the 6400+ will OC much more, but your 5200+ should hit 2.8-3.0Ghz fairly easily (on air, probably).

They're equal and I don't dispute that. I wasn't referring to the E6400 and 5200+, just to Baron's comment about small performance differences,
February 13, 2007 3:29:50 PM

I think you have contradicted yourself :?
February 13, 2007 3:53:09 PM

Quote:
I think you have contradicted yourself :?

Well, no, but I should have paid more attention to BaronMatrix's comment before I replied. My point was that just because one CPU only performs a bit better doesn't make the other a better choice at all. If a CPU is faster and the cost and power consumption are also better, it is the better choice, period. I initially thought BaronMatrix was telling the OP that the 5200+ was a better choice because the E6400 was only a bit better. Turns out the joke's on me because I can't/won't read. :?
February 13, 2007 3:58:58 PM

What you said is right, but only for who nitpicks (some of us :D  )

And no one can tell the difference between the two without benches :wink:
February 14, 2007 5:55:02 PM

thanx for all the replies.

i am gettin liquid cooling for the chip because i am serious about OCing this puppy. i wanna reach atleast 3.0 GHz mark hopefully.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1683...
if it had 4 mb of L2 cache instead of 2, it would have been nicer. but still its a good chip. if i didnt have an AM2 setup already, i'd have definitely gone with E6600 and OC it on water.
!