Linksys RVS4000

csan

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
Hello - looking for some news or reviews of the new router from Linksys - the RVS4000 and specially the wan->lan throughput.

TIA
csan

Madwand

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
It has a GbE WAN port, and advertises 800 Mb/s NAT throughput. Looks like great WAN throughput (it'd likely be lower with other features enabled, but still far higher than typical internet speed, and probably (just a guess here) still higher than the really high speed internet available in some areas (100 Mb/s).

Two options to check further: (1) Contact Linksys pre-sales / support. (2) Assuming you have such a high-speed internet needs, test it, and if it doesn't live up to your needs, return it for false advertising of 800 Mb/s throughput.

csan

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
I havn´t seen any reviews/tests of this router yet. I really appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction. thanks .....

middleagealready

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
Considering the state of readily available, retail networking gear, which from experience I know to be that most manufacturers gear never properly does everything that it is adveritsed to do and that firmware updates often don't correct issues without creating other problems, I suspect that the creator of this post is looking for input from somebody that has actually TRIED TO USE THE PRODUCT THEMSELVES!
J

Madwand

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
If you have hope for a fast ISP down the road, or better yet a fast one already I'd strike this off the list. Considering the up-market that would like such products, and the possibility of them going to a fast ISP, I'd call it a botched implementation.

I'm pretty sure I saw the GbE WAN port described as such in terms of actual throughput through it by Linksys (something like 800 Mb/s). Failing that so miserably in testing, I'd consider it valid grounds for returns.

To further illustrate how miserable that performance is for such a class of product -- I've measured Linksys WRT54G v1.0, and they've been faster.

viper2843

Distinguished
May 14, 2006
Can anyone recommend a similar product to this one. I was interested int his router until I read the review and now I am struggling to find an alternative that has VPN and gigabit Ethernet. Thanks.

G

We have a LinkSys RVS4000 at our ofc/lab. The router and firewall functions seem to be acceptable, though i am not sure if our sys admin ever figured out how to isolate two internal networks from each other. The VPN function requires software on the remote machine.

I feel there are two isses with this product:

1) For the VPN, Linksys provides Quick VPN, or you can buy (as in, pay for) another product such as TheGreenBow.

In my opion, QuickVPN is garbage; a less than amateur kluge that requires other kluges in your system to be able to use it and then it still does not work well.

TheGreenBow seems to work, but their support is typically french, they get back to you the next day. But they are helpful and nice, even so.

2) Linksys support requires that you have the serial number for your router unit.

If you are away from the office and cannot get the serial number, you are out of luck. It does not appear in the admin login; at least not for the version that i have it doesn't, and the firmware is up to date.

Summary:

I bought this because it comes with the remote client software. but it proved useless. So far i have not found something that integrates with the vpn functionality supposedly built into windows. So, perhaps you can find something cheaper and anyway i think you have to plan on buying a seperate client software product if you want VPN.