0x10040065. Windows Explorer locked, control Panel also

a b } Memory
March 1, 2005 9:49:01 AM

I had adware and other problems and have run norton and sysbot and cleaned my
system but I can not access Control Panel; Windows Explorer; Search; Recycle
Bin. I can browse fron the RUN on Start. The eror says 0x10040065 referenced
memory at 0x00000000 the memory could not be written.

Everything else appears to be working.

THanks

John jparcher@hotmail.com
Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 1, 2005 9:53:05 AM

I am running XP Pro SP2

"Helpless in Dallas" wrote:

> I had adware and other problems and have run norton and sysbot and cleaned my
> system but I can not access Control Panel; Windows Explorer; Search; Recycle
> Bin. I can browse fron the RUN on Start. The eror says 0x10040065 referenced
> memory at 0x00000000 the memory could not be written.
>
> Everything else appears to be working.
>
> THanks
>
> John jparcher@hotmail.com
Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 1, 2005 10:54:45 AM

Try Start>Run and in the command line type
sfc /scannow
to repair the system files.

"Helpless in Dallas" <HelplessinDallas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:66E9BD84-A8A8-4A73-9052-74C56D14473C@microsoft.com...
>I had adware and other problems and have run norton and sysbot and cleaned
>my
> system but I can not access Control Panel; Windows Explorer; Search;
> Recycle
> Bin. I can browse fron the RUN on Start. The eror says 0x10040065
> referenced
> memory at 0x00000000 the memory could not be written.
>
> Everything else appears to be working.
>
> THanks
>
> John jparcher@hotmail.com
a b } Memory
March 1, 2005 10:54:46 AM

I typed sfc /scannow and not I can not type in the run space anymore without
getting the failure.

John

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> Try Start>Run and in the command line type
> sfc /scannow
> to repair the system files.

> "Helpless in Dallas" <HelplessinDallas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:66E9BD84-A8A8-4A73-9052-74C56D14473C@microsoft.com...
> >I had adware and other problems and have run norton and sysbot and cleaned
> >my
> > system but I can not access Control Panel; Windows Explorer; Search;
> > Recycle
> > Bin. I can browse fron the RUN on Start. The eror says 0x10040065
> > referenced
> > memory at 0x00000000 the memory could not be written.
> >
> > Everything else appears to be working.
> >
> > THanks
> >
> > John jparcher@hotmail.com

Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 1, 2005 11:11:05 AM

Sorry, It is when I type / it gives me the failure. I retyped sfc /scannow
and closed all programs and it is copying DLL to Cache. Verfying all Windows
files are intact.

It finished and I still can not run WE, CP, Search and Recycle Bin.

JOhn

"Helpless in Dallas" wrote:

> I typed sfc /scannow and not I can not type in the run space anymore without
> getting the failure.
>
> John
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
> > Try Start>Run and in the command line type
> > sfc /scannow
> > to repair the system files.
> >
> > --
> > Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
> > (Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
> > "Helpless in Dallas" <HelplessinDallas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> > message news:66E9BD84-A8A8-4A73-9052-74C56D14473C@microsoft.com...
> > >I had adware and other problems and have run norton and sysbot and cleaned
> > >my
> > > system but I can not access Control Panel; Windows Explorer; Search;
> > > Recycle
> > > Bin. I can browse fron the RUN on Start. The eror says 0x10040065
> > > referenced
> > > memory at 0x00000000 the memory could not be written.
> > >
> > > Everything else appears to be working.
> > >
> > > THanks
> > >
> > > John jparcher@hotmail.com

Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 1, 2005 3:17:16 PM

Try a repair install as follows:

NOTE, while a repair install should leave your data files intact, if
something goes wrong during the repair install, you may be forced to start
over and do a clean install of XP. If you don't have your data backed up,
you would lose your data should that eventuality occur.

Assuming your system is set to boot from the CD-ROM drive and you have an
actual XP CD as opposed to a recovery CD, boot with the XP
CD in the drive and perform a repair install as outlined below. If the
system isn't set to boot from the CD or you are not sure, you need to enter
the system's BIOS. When you boot the system, the first screen usually has
instructions that if you wish to enter set press a specific key, when you
see that, do so. Then you will have to navigate to the boot sequence, if
the CD-ROM drive is not first line, set it first in the boot sequence. Save
your settings and exit with the XP CD in the drive. The system will reboot.

When the system boots, a few screens into the process you may see a message
instructing you
to hit any key in order to boot from the CD along with a countdown. When
you see this be sure to
hit a key on the keyboard, if you miss this instruction and the system fails
to boot from the CD, it's too
late, you'll need to reboot and try again.

Once you have pressed a key, setup should begin. You will see a reference
asking if you need to load special drivers and another notice that if you
wish to begin the ASR (Automatic Recovery Console) depress F2. Just let
setup run past all of that. It will continue to load files and drivers.

Then it will bring you to a screen. Eventually, you will come to a screen
with the option to (1) setup Windows or (2) Repair Windows Installation
using the Recovery console. ***The selection you want at this screen is
"Setup Windows,"
NOT "Repair Windows Installation.

The first option, to setup Windows is the one you want and requires you to
press enter. When asked, press F8 to accept the end user agreement. Setup
will then search for previous versions of Windows. Upon finding your
version, it will ask if you wish to Repair your current installation or
install fresh. Press R, that will run a repair installation. From there
on, follow the screens.

Note, in some cases, you won't receive the repair option, only an option to
reinstall. We have discovered that sometimes this is caused by damaged
boot.ini file that can be repaired as follows and also note, in the
instructions, "K" refers to the CD drive in which you have placed the XP CD,
replace that drive letter with the appropriate letter on your system, "K" is
simply an example.

Reboot, this time taking the immediate R option (this is the section I told
you to skip above. In this case, you will need to get to the Recovery
Console to perform the function below), and if the CD letter is say K: give
these commands

COPY K:\i386\ntldr C:
COPY K:\i386\ntdetect.com C:
(two other files needed - just in case)
ATTRIB -H -R -S C:\boot.ini
DEL C:\boot.ini
BootCfg /Rebuild

Once you've completed this function, reboot and see if you can access XP as
sometimes, the problem is the damaged boot.ini. If you still cannot access
XP, then reboot and re-run the repair install instructions at the beginning
of this message.

If you only have a recovery CD, your options are quite limited. You can
either purchase a retail version of XP which will allow you to perform the
above
among other tools and options it has or you can run your system recovery
routine with the Recovery CD which will likely wipe your drive, deleting all
files but will restore your setup to factory fresh condition.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"Helpless in Dallas" <HelplessinDallas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:7748B2CA-16E4-411B-9670-347C16698039@microsoft.com...
> Sorry, It is when I type / it gives me the failure. I retyped sfc /scannow
> and closed all programs and it is copying DLL to Cache. Verfying all
> Windows
> files are intact.
>
> It finished and I still can not run WE, CP, Search and Recycle Bin.
>

> JOhn
>
> "Helpless in Dallas" wrote:
>
>> I typed sfc /scannow and not I can not type in the run space anymore
>> without
>> getting the failure.
>>
>> John
>>
>> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>>
>> > Try Start>Run and in the command line type
>> > sfc /scannow
>> > to repair the system files.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
>> > (Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
>> > "Helpless in Dallas" <HelplessinDallas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>> > in
>> > message news:66E9BD84-A8A8-4A73-9052-74C56D14473C@microsoft.com...

Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 1, 2005 6:24:17 PM

I agree. The repair install is the next option since the system file
checker was not effective for this problem.

> [...]
> files but will restore your setup to factory fresh condition.
>

> --
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
> "Helpless in Dallas" <HelplessinDallas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:7748B2CA-16E4-411B-9670-347C16698039@microsoft.com...
>> Sorry, It is when I type / it gives me the failure. I retyped sfc
>> /scannow
>> and closed all programs and it is copying DLL to Cache. Verfying all
>> Windows
>> files are intact.
>>
>> It finished and I still can not run WE, CP, Search and Recycle Bin.
>>

>> JOhn
>>
>> "Helpless in Dallas" wrote:
>>
>>> I typed sfc /scannow and not I can not type in the run space anymore

Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 2, 2005 12:49:09 PM

Colin & Michael,

I appreciate you assistance. I have been running Norton, Sysbot, Spy
Bouncer, Spyware Doctor and MS New Beta. Each seems to find different
instances. When all say it is clean I run Norton and it finds new instances.
Some require me to boot the CD and do a R... Get to the C: prompt and del
individually each ....exe file. I can not use CMD from Start because it tells
me I do not have access. I have gotten it to work, Windows Explorer and
Recycle Bin but the problem recreates itself. THis tells me I haven't found
the root cause yet. I wish there was an effective application that could find
this problem.

John

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> [...]
> > routine with the Recovery CD which will likely wipe your drive, deleting
> > all
> > files but will restore your setup to factory fresh condition.
> >

> > --
> > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> > Windows Shell/User
> > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
> >
> > "Helpless in Dallas" <HelplessinDallas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> > message news:7748B2CA-16E4-411B-9670-347C16698039@microsoft.com...
> >> Sorry, It is when I type / it gives me the failure. I retyped sfc
> >> /scannow
> >> and closed all programs and it is copying DLL to Cache. Verfying all
> >> Windows
> >> files are intact.
> >>
> >> It finished and I still can not run WE, CP, Search and Recycle Bin.

Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 2, 2005 1:03:55 PM

I believe your next step should be the repair install, instructions for
which I've already posted in this thread.

--

message news:523B7560-52BE-46DF-88E8-A3ABD89B37C0@microsoft.com...

!