Overclock Failed - After 5 months?!?

chandler_andy

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
I have gotten great support here in the past and am hoping for some more. Now...here is my problem (kind of long, I know):

I OCed an e6600 on a P5B Deluxe, 2 gigs Corsair ram back in September and got it up to 3.00 ghz. Not pushing it, it was plenty OC for me (I know this chip can do more). It was Prime95 stable for 24 hours. This worked fine since then until about 3 weeks ago. I often watch DVDs and started noticing a little choppiness here and there, which had never been present before. I dealt with it, but it seemed to get worse - to the point I couldn't deal. I started by reinstalling all the video drivers on my rig - nothing changed. I changed IDE cables and even bought a new drive (Asus 1608P3S). Still, got the problems. I checked to make sure DMA was enabled, and it was in Ultra DMA 5. I even deleted the IDE channels and rebooted - no luck. For awhile DVDs still played, but choppy. Now if I try to watch movie clips burned to data DVD, I get an I/O Device Error. Movies will play still play (choppy) in WinDVD, but not in PowerDVD. Odd. So I updated my Bios to 1004 and on bootup, my overclock failed - normal with a bios update? So I reset to factory settings and booted into XP. DVD playback is still choppy on WinDVD and none in PowerDVD. My next step is to reinstall windows. Before I do that, does anyone have any idea what could be causing I/O device errors and choppy playback of DVDs? My gut is that it stems from the same problem. Is there a jumper or something to change on my motherboard?

Heliocentric

Distinguished
May 28, 2006
Hardware, your DVD drive is poorly?

Drivers, have you ever heard of starforce? are you a gamer, do you own any games on this list?

http://www.glop.org/starforce/list.php

Even if they are uninstalled an antipiracy set of drivers should be installed, a fresh windows install would fix that.

They intercept data from the ide drives which can cause them to slow down because they are percieving dropped data. A would a registry tweak that resets the value every time you restart follows.

Wings Of Fire said:
Run REGEDIT. Go to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

It has subkeys like 0000, 0001, 0002, etc. Normally 0001 is the primary IDE channel, 0002 the secondary, but other numbers can occur under certain circumstances. You have to go through these subkeys and check the DriverDesc value until you find the proper IDE channel.

Delete MasterIdDataChecksum or SlaveIdDataChecksum, depending on whether the device in question is attached as master or slave, but it can't actually hurt to delete both. Reboot. The drive DMA capabilities will be redetected on every subsequent reboot

course... your cpu might be dusty :) or entropy might have won this battle and ever so slightly damaged a component.

Pax2All

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
Has this fixed your problem while at stock speed? What kind of power supply are you working with? What were your OC settings?

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
just rember that overclock does damage slowly your cpu. even if you think its "100% Stable"

I remember reading around this forum the "tips and faqs" of ocing.. wher they mention the more you keep the cpu oced, the more it will be starting to reduce its resistence ( IE, it will oc lower until not even stock will work and will need bigger voltages)

lexluthermiester

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
I have gotten great support here in the past and am hoping for some more. Now...here is my problem (kind of long, I know):

I OCed an e6600 on a P5B Deluxe, 2 gigs Corsair ram back in September and got it up to 3.00 ghz. Not pushing it, it was plenty OC for me (I know this chip can do more). It was Prime95 stable for 24 hours. This worked fine since then until about 3 weeks ago. I often watch DVDs and started noticing a little choppiness here and there, which had never been present before. I dealt with it, but it seemed to get worse - to the point I couldn't deal. I started by reinstalling all the video drivers on my rig - nothing changed. I changed IDE cables and even bought a new drive (Asus 1608P3S). Still, got the problems. I checked to make sure DMA was enabled, and it was in Ultra DMA 5. I even deleted the IDE channels and rebooted - no luck. For awhile DVDs still played, but choppy. Now if I try to watch movie clips burned to data DVD, I get an I/O Device Error. Movies will play still play (choppy) in WinDVD, but not in PowerDVD. Odd. So I updated my Bios to 1004 and on bootup, my overclock failed - normal with a bios update? So I reset to factory settings and booted into XP. DVD playback is still choppy on WinDVD and none in PowerDVD. My next step is to reinstall windows. Before I do that, does anyone have any idea what could be causing I/O device errors and choppy playback of DVDs? My gut is that it stems from the same problem. Is there a jumper or something to change on my motherboard?

First, Get a new motherboard. Asus boards have been having nothing but issues as of late. And I've been seeing this same issue over and over. An Abit or Gigabyte board would serve you well.

Second, whats the wattage of your power supply? You need at least 450 watts for the system you seem to have. Consider buying a new one. If your Power supply isn't able to provide enough power your system's components will suffer blown-out conditions, which will put an exceptional amount of stress on said components. Sooner or later they fail, as yours seems to have.

Third, Your DVD drives aren't the issue. Nor are the drivers.

Fourth, A few other posters have said that you can harm your CPU by overclocking it. This is untrue. The harm they are thinking of comes from overvolting a CPU, which is different. Overvolting a component[whether it be a CPU, video card or ram] will cause overheating, electron migration, electron isolation and in extreme cases, melting of electrical pathways. Don't worry about your E6600, unless you messed with the voltage, it should be fine.

Heliocentric

Distinguished
May 28, 2006
I'd like to disagree! By actualy using the CPU you are raising its temperature, every ten degrees or so doubles the rate of entropy. And an OC without any extra volts can still run warmer (if only by being more efficent).

chandler_andy

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
So, I got everything reinstalled last night. Everything loaded up okay. I haven't had time to try to play DVDs yet. By the time I got all my programs reinstalled it was bedtime. The OC I did using the guide from this forum (which I have not reapplied). I have a 600 watt FSP power supply, so I don't think that is is the issue. I'm also running a Geforce 7900 GTO and an Audigy 2 soundcard. Hopefully my motherboard isn't shot. That would really suck. I'll post back this evening when I test out my windows-fresh rig.

Blouge

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
>just rember that overclock does damage slowly your cpu. even if you think its "100% Stable"

Yes, use your CPU sparingly. Every arithmetic operation it performs causes a small amount of degradation. Even having your CPU sit in a box will slowly damage it over time. This is due to bombardment from cosmic rays - gamma rays, neutrinos, strangelets, and gravitational waves. Also, there will be thermal and atmospheric variations causing numerous cycles of expansion and compression. You also run the risk of biological infestation - bacteria, fungi, insects, and rodents. Finally, as your CPU gets older, it might grow whiskers.

You'd be lucky if this CPU still worked 500 years from now. I suggest just taking it back to the store and getting a refund rather than risk its untimely destruction.