security

munawar

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2004

i have active directory on my domain.I want to allow systems to share their
folders but cant install s/ws to thier own.
Some one told me its possible thrugh Group Policies.I m a little confused
regarding Local and Group policis at domain.
Which one shuld i Use?
Tnx in anticipation.

This is likely more of an opinion, from experience, than a fact,
but I feel that in general it is always a gain when you do things
centrally once, if one can, instead of multiple times at each
machine. This would mean, if one's objective can be done
with group policy from AD then that is preferred, instead of
visiting each machine to make adjustments.
The hidden advantage is that when you bring in a new machine
of the same class, the central management you have defined will
kick in and get that new or replacement machine configured the
same (to the extent it was done with group policy from AD).

That said, I do not believe that there is a policy setting to
accomplish letting your users have the power to define shares.
As far a software installs, that can be restricted, but depending
on the type of software and the version of client operating
system that restriction may already be there from the defaults.

--
Roger Abell
MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA