Securing Windows 2000 Server w/ SP3

I am unable to install SP4 on a system which runs an older ACU COBOL database
for compatibility reasons. My question is this...

Is it even possible to suitably secure a SP3 install using individual
hotfixes and patches from say, Windows Update? Or, are the updates to Win2k
Server found in SP4 a crucial part of locking down a box given the known
vunerabilities in SP3?

Dagan Nelson wrote:

> I am unable to install SP4 on a system which runs an older ACU COBOL database
> for compatibility reasons. My question is this...
>
> Is it even possible to suitably secure a SP3 install using individual
> hotfixes and patches from say, Windows Update? Or, are the updates to Win2k
> Server found in SP4 a crucial part of locking down a box given the known
> vunerabilities in SP3?

Hi

SP3 with all security updates installed (from e.g. WU) should
be as secure as SP4 is.

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Why not? Is it possible to contact Microsoft or the vendor for a fix?